AVS Forum banner

How's your XBOX 360 doing? (XBOX Live/Updates)

• Never Been on-line, no updates, console failure

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Play on-line, no updates, console failure

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if there are any others like me

with a perfectly working never locked up XBOX 360?

Mine was purchased Nov.17/06 and is flawless,

just signed up for XBOX live this weekend, but It's never been up-dated though.

I'm afraid to get the latest update on-line now that I've heard some units are being "bricked", possibly by the latest update.

I can access downloads and the marketplace, just cant play on-line without the

most recent update, so far I have declined to install it, paranoid,maybe ?

*IF you have performed BOTH Pre 07' and Jan 07' Updates,

multiple choice has been enabled so you can pick both.

Thanks For Playing! (pun intended)

·
Registered
4,357 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PioManiac /forum/post/0

Just wondering if there are any others like me

with a perfectly working never locked up XBOX 360?

Mine was purchased Nov.17/06 and is flawless,

just signed up for XBOX live this weekend, but It's never been up-dated though.

I'm afraid to get the latest update on-line now that I've heard some units are being "bricked", possibly by the latest update.

I can access downloads and the marketplace, just cant play on-line without the

most recent update, so far I have declined to install it, paranoid,maybe ?

Isn't that like buying a car but not driving it because it could break down?

·
Registered
240 Posts
My wife bought me an Xbox360 for my birthday in July of 2006. I've been on Xbox Live since the first day I got it and I've done all the updates with no problems.

I did see the red ring of death once after a power outage at my house. The 360 was fine after I unplugged the power cord and plugged it back in. Other than that and every once in a while a game locking up, I've had no problems. It's the best console I've ever owned - dating all the way back to a pong game in 1976.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdank /forum/post/0

Isn't that like buying a car but not driving it because it could break down?

Well It's not like it aint being used

I have about 8-9 games I can play off-line

It's like Living in Canada and owning a Ferrari,

You can drive it 5-6 months of the year and enjoy it thoroughly,

then park it for the Winter and drive the Hummer instead

..or you take your chances driving the Ferrari all year round in the snow and ice.

You may wreck it , but its worth the risk?

·
Registered
4,357 Posts
Since you're still within your year warranty, might as try before that ends. Most stores have 90 day return policies...you should have probably updated last week when you could have simply run down to the store.

I think you're being paranoid, but that's certainly your right.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdank /forum/post/0

Since you're still within your year warranty, might as try before that ends. Most stores have 90 day return policies...you should have probably updated last week when you could have simply run down to the store.

I think you're being paranoid, but that's certainly your right.

ummm, I've only had my 360 for 62 days, (since Nov.17/06)

I've Got til Feb.17/07 before 90 days is up

But judging by the numbers so far,

it's looking a LOT better than the Large number of complaints in This Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=788547

If the current positive trend continues over the next couple days, I may bite the bullet

and get the update as soon as Sunday Evening.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Yes but, having a 360 and not playing online is like having a ferrari in the bay area. Sure you can take it for a spin on a nicely paved canyon road, but you'll just get stuck behind *enter stereotypical slow driver here* going 20 mph.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I think you might be missing a catagory. Play online and updated regularly pre 07 and Jan 07 and no problems. That's where I am. I still have my original pre Christmas 2005 360 and I've done every update since then.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve68 /forum/post/0

I think you might be missing a catagory. Play online and updated regularly pre 07 and Jan 07 and no problems. That's where I am. I still have my original pre Christmas 2005 360 and I've done every update since then.

I enabled the abilty to choose more than one option

but glad to hear, and thanks for contributing

I'm headin' out right now to throw some snow chains on the Ferarri

and top'n up the anti-freeze. Throw'n the keys for the H2 to the G/F

·
Registered
635 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Kennedy /forum/post/0

I'd say a better analogy would be - It's like buying a car and driving it, but not bringing it for service because the mechanic might screw it up.

The 360 doesn't need regular maintenance like a car. If the update has some new feature you want or fixes something that's not working, that's one thing. But as far as I know, this update was so unessential that MS hasn't even said what was in it. Nobody's been able to notice any change, other than a dead console in some cases.

If you want to play online, you have to have it. Otherwise, there's nothing to gain and a risk (even if it's small) of killing the console. Why bother?

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
^^BUMP^^

Are any of you "Bricker's" from the Jan.07' Update on brand new machines?

Less than 90 days old, never updated before?

Seems there are a fair number of you getting brick'd on your very first and only update.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
My launch unit was working 100% fine until this morning, when I was online playing Rainbow Six: Vegas. My system froze and I had to reboot, resulting in a series of problems related somehow to the USB port in the rear of my system. If I plug a wireless controller into the rear port, all is fine. If I try anything else (HD-DVD, Live Vision camera) my 360 won't recognize any of my wireless controllers or the extra peripheral.

Other than that, everything works for now... but I'm definitely going to monitor the situation closely, and I definitely won't play any more R6V online.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.