AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have xbox and Vista Home Premium hooked up together.Everytime I try to view a video on the Media Center it just loops back to my selection.It always says video error.All videos play ok on PC but won't when in the Media Center on xbox.Do you have to have Gold for Videos possibly ? Any help would be greatful to get videos to play. Thanks Karl

· Registered
172 Posts
Karl,

I'm going to be reformatting my HTPC (currently XP WMC 03) to Vista over the weekend and intend to connect both my PS3 and 360 to it for streaming video. I'll post success or failure when I do it. In the mean time, have you tried Tversity? I've been using that to transcode/stream to my 360 for a while and like it.

WMC 03 doesn't see the 360 so that (or WMP11) was my only option for the last few years.

http://tversity.com/

· Registered
400 Posts
The 360 is limited by what codecs it has for video playback....so while your computer can play something...it doesn't mean your 360 will.

The 2007 Fall update (I think) added a good bit of increased codec support in the dashboard (Divx/Mpeg4) on top of the WMV that it already supported. The Media Center Extender "application" it runs supports basically Media Center defaults (WMV, MPeg2 and DVR-MS/WTV).

I use Media Center (dedicated PC) that has all my DVD's ripped to .DVR-MS format (an mpeg file in MS's container) and also for basic DVR functions. This allows me to watch any of my DVD's are recorded TV shows in either the living room or bedroom since I have 360's in those rooms.

I've had no troubles with the Media Center's "online TV" stuff...but haven't used it much for that...just watched some movie trailers, an episode of 'Arrested Development' and that's about it.

· Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well my xbox with media center won't play trailers or the Arrested Development shows either.Is there a new codec pack maybe? I play the xbox thru an Onkyo receiver with hdmi and show it on a Projector can this have an effect somehow?When I choose to play a trailer for example all I get is A Black screen then loops back to my choice and you see video error.I have seen others with same problem but no solutions found anywhere. Thanks

· Registered
400 Posts
Is your 360 up to date (all Spring/Fall and NXE updates) ? How about your Windows OS, is it patched with the latest patches?

Fresh install of Vista Ultimate, add extenders, play "Internet TV" on extenders (360's).

I have no clue as to why you they don't play for you.

· Registered
1 Posts
I'm having this issue as well after media center has extended to two of my 360's flawlessly for months. It doesn't want to stream music, videos, recorded tv, or even live tv. I called xbox tech support, he came to the long drawn out conclusion that it's my firewall on my router since we disabled my windows firewall during the call. Of course, my router hasn't changed it's setup for months (running DD-WRT perfectly for over a year). It will work if i'm wired in via ethernet, but not stream wirelessly.

UPDATE:

Installed a fresh copy of windows vista on a separate hard drive and attempted to stream wirelessly then, and it worked. So it's definitely not a router issue , not that I'm surprised.

· Registered
1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinor /forum/post/15799811

I'm having this issue as well after media center has extended to two of my 360's flawlessly for months. It doesn't want to stream music, videos, recorded tv, or even live tv. I called xbox tech support, he came to the long drawn out conclusion that it's my firewall on my router since we disabled my windows firewall during the call. Of course, my router hasn't changed it's setup for months (running DD-WRT perfectly for over a year). It will work if i'm wired in via ethernet, but not stream wirelessly.

UPDATE:

Installed a fresh copy of windows vista on a separate hard drive and attempted to stream wirelessly then, and it worked. So it's definitely not a router issue , not that I'm surprised.

(FIXED) Install ORB right click icon at the bottom of the page click configuration

then click advanced, Click CODEC and select MICROSOFT MPEG 2 VIDEO DECODER then all video should work on XBOX

make sure your logged into your orb account

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.