AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Is there ANYONE who has been able to successfully get Xbox 360 extender display the media content stored on Windows Home Server NAS?

I am running Vista Media Center, with all the media content stored on WHS (CTP build) - works great. Using Xbox 360 as VMC extender - works great *only when* the content is stored on Media Center local storage. But completely unable to display any WHS-stored content via Xbox Media Extender interface!

I have tried just about everything I could think of, or have read on the various forums.. all to no avail:

- created MCX1 user account on WHS, gave him full rights to media shares

- created share on WHS server with 'Everyone' and 'ANONYMOUS LOGON' granted full rights

- shared the folder with Windows Media Connect on WHS server *

* WHS Windows Media Connect shares do work via xBox 360 music/pictures/video access on the 'Media' tab, but NOT through xbox Media Center interface. Not acceptable.

I know people have gotten Xbox360 VMC extenders working with Infrant NAS and the like. This must be some sort of odd WHS access rights issue. I am also pretty sure it would work fine, if I could "fool" VMC into thinking the NAS drives are locally attached (like via iSCSI). But I don't believe WHS can act as an iSCSI target.

Anyone has any ideas, short of getting rid of WHS and going with some other NAS solution? This is quite frustruting as storing Media Center content is exactly what WHS should be designed for.. Xbox extenders must be working with WHS.. Anyone found any solutions or workarounds?

·
Registered
353 Posts
Make sure the guest account is enabled without a password and that you clicked the little gear icon in the WHS console and selected media sharing.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rclifton /forum/post/0

Make sure the guest account is enabled without a password and that you clicked the little gear icon in the WHS console and selected media sharing.

Yep, figured it out after messing around with it for a few hours. I initially didn't notice Guest was disabled by default.

Actually you don't even need to enable Media Sharing, unless you want to use direct Media Connect browing.. Enabling Guest with appropriate Read rights to the content share seems to be all that's needed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts