Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just saw this and wished to share it with everyone here:

http://www.hexus.net/content/reviews...lld19JRD0xNTIw

Now, I don't know about some of you but I was gearing up to make a HTPC just for hooking up to the Xbox 360. Finding out that none of my DivX or XviD formatted video will play thru the 360 pretty much kills that desire deader than Elvis. :( Who the hell thought that limiting playback to WMV 9 was a good idea?!

·
Registered
529 Posts
well i could have pretty much told you the functionality of the 360 media playback would be limited. just look at teh xbox extender kit.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Yeah, and you have to stream from a Media Center PC. Yeah right, I want that OS on MY system. This is a worthless feature, as few actually have Media Center PC's and those that do, use them as such, and don't need the xbox to stream anything for them. I don't know why they won't allow it to stream MP3 and video from any computer on the network. $150 chinese DVD players can do this, and they don't require Media Center. They're just trying to get everybody to buy new computers an OS's I have the same computer I built 4 years ago. I am not a sucker for this industry as many are. I am only just now thinking of building a new Pc next year.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Well if this is true then it makes my decision much easier.

It seems like everytime I read about the 360's media playback capabilities the story changes. Until this announcment the last I heard was that it would be able to work with any Windows XP computer, and wouldn't require media centre addition.

I was hoping to use the 360 for streaming xvid/divx (720p), along with stuff I've capped OTA/Cable (1080i Mpeg-2 TS). Is this not going to be possible with the 360?

And can anyone translate this, I can't follow the meaning...

Quote:
If you wish to play a DVD via the Media Centre you can not stream this - it is only avaliable over the LAN, you can only do this with a local disk.
I was really hoping this machine would function similar to a hacked xbox, and just allow me to stream any media files I wanted straight from my computer HDD. All of this media centre interface crap is not what I had in mind....

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
Well, it states that the MEDIA CENTER that you can use with the 360 can only play WMV. There's a separate folder for videos on the screen, I'm hoping that it too won't be limited to wmv. Unless the Media Center folder is actually a header...

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
My guess is that the music/pictures/videos folders are for stuff stored on the HDD, and 'media centre' is the only way to access stuff on the network...

But that's just my pessimistic guess.

There were some more pictures from that event on bit-tech, and one showed a sign claiming "High Definition TV and WMV"

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2005/08...0_media_center

Not exactly sure what that refers to, but high definition tv would suggest that I can play back stuff I've capped myself? Guess we'll have to wait a bit longer to find out exactly what the limitations are.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime
Can anyone id the Samsung model? Is that a DLP (HLR model)?
its an HLP series, not sure which one.

·
Registered
7,332 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Casey-
its an HLP series, not sure which one.
Thanks! I was considering getting the HLP5674W because it's so cheap now being a retired model.

·
Registered
805 Posts
We will probably have to wait till the 360 gets a modchip released and someone writes something like Xbox Media Center for the 360. We can count on Microsoft using as many of their proprietary technologies as possible and locking out the competition.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.