AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posted this in the Home Theatre Gaming thread and thought some of you may be interested as well.

Just saw this and wished to share it with everyone here:

http://www.hexus.net/content/reviews...lld19JRD0xNTIw

Now, I don't know about some of you but I was gearing up to make a HTPC just for hooking up to the Xbox 360. Finding out that none of my DivX or XviD formatted video will play thru the 360 pretty much kills that desire deader than Elvis. Who the hell thought that limiting playback to WMV 9 was a good idea?!

·
Registered
724 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjladyfox
Who the hell thought that limiting playback to WMV 9 was a good idea?!
Microsoft :}

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Well, that sucks.

I was planning on using my Media Center server to stream my backed up DVDs to the 360. This should be easy, but it doesn't do it with the current Xbox either. I can see the thumbnails in My Movies through the Xbox extender, and I know the Xbox can indeed view DVDs. What's the big deal? I was hoping that since this can pass HD and Dolby Digital from the MCE 2005 machine to the 360 that it would go for backups too. Oh well.

I have two 360's on pre-order and I guess I can cancel one of them now. Between the depressing 2 tier options and now this, I'm starting to think this is a bad move.

Your link is messed up by the way.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I'll bet that the 360 is streaming DIVX before the end of it's 1st year on the market. My understanding is that Microsoft's 360 Extender will have a plug-in architecture similar to MCE's. I look very forward to seeing what can be done with it.

·
Registered
7,535 Posts
I'd love to be able to sit in on the meetings where these marketing stratigist goofballs discuss the pros and cons of decisions like this:

Goofball 1: Engineering says that this thing can play anything out there.

Goofball 2: Lets lock it down so only MS backed stuff will work, that way everyone will love MS formats as much as they love MS OSes.

Goofball 3: Is it possible that some customers would like to be able to use their equiptment that they bought with their hard earned cash for something other than MS formats and therefore there could be a market advantage to not locking it down?

...(all three Goofballs) OF COURSE NOT... EVERYONE OUT THERE LOVES MS!!!!

-Suntan

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I don't think it will be long after the 360 is released until some "modifications" will be available for it. :) Can you say XBMC?

thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rein
Well, that sucks.

I was planning on using my Media Center server to stream my backed up DVDs to the 360. This should be easy, but it doesn't do it with the current Xbox either. I can see the thumbnails in My Movies through the Xbox extender, and I know the Xbox can indeed view DVDs. What's the big deal? I was hoping that since this can pass HD and Dolby Digital from the MCE 2005 machine to the 360 that it would go for backups too. Oh well.

I have two 360's on pre-order and I guess I can cancel one of them now. Between the depressing 2 tier options and now this, I'm starting to think this is a bad move.

Your link is messed up by the way.
Fixed the link so it should work now. Thank you for the heads-up. ^__^

Blech. I did'nt know it did not work with the current one either. Probably a good thing I never tried it. *sigh* If worse comes to worse I suppose I could still go ahead with building a MCE 2k5 box and do one of the following:

1. Get a used Xbox, mod it, and install XBMC, http://www.xboxmediacenter.com/ , on it.

or

2. Bite the bullet and just setup the HTPC with XP Pro &, using an ATI X800-series video card, connect it either via component or VGA to our HDTV.

I honestly do not see what the big deal is over having DivX and/or XviD support. It just feels like they are gimping themselves for no good reason.

·
Registered
23,130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan
I'd love to be able to sit in on the meetings where these marketing stratigist goofballs discuss the pros and cons of decisions like this:

Goofball 1: Engineering says that this thing can play anything out there.

Goofball 2: Lets lock it down so only MS backed stuff will work, that way everyone will love MS formats as much as they love MS OSes.

Goofball 3: Is it possible that some customers would like to be able to use their equiptment that they bought with their hard earned cash for something other than MS formats and therefore there could be a market advantage to not locking it down?

...(all three Goofballs) OF COURSE NOT... EVERYONE OUT THERE LOVES MS!!!!

-Suntan

Or 4: MS doesn't want to pay licensing fees to DivX Networks to use their codec in a retail product, nor do they want to agree to XviD's GPL license.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I don't know how anyone can say with any assurance at all yet what the xbox 360 will or won't do, since its not in production yet... yeah, its almost finalized, but even now theres the "HDMI be available" and other surprises, so i won't quite worry bout what a hexus.net "review" says, at least not till after its released

·
Registered
7,535 Posts
Nobody is stopping them from implementing their own Mpeg4 ASP codec. They don't have to use either Divx or Xvid's version.

-Suntan

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
They would however, still have to pay to license the technology.

I would like to see Microsoft take advantage of the free Xbox Live! service all Xbox 360 owners will have access to in order to download (pay for) third party codec's.

·
Registered
602 Posts
The mod community will be working 24/7 to get this stuff figured out.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan
Nobody is stopping them from implementing their own Mpeg4 ASP codec. They don't have to use either Divx or Xvid's version.

-Suntan
Didn't DivX start out as a hacked Microsoft MPEG4 codec anyway? The 3.x versions that is.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Videora has a free tool that will convert pretty much any video format to a 360 compatible video. Works pretty good. It will even allow you to convert vids to HD resolutions. Google for Videora 360 convert and it should pop up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.