AVS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The next update for Xbox 360 Preview Program members will allow the use of 2TB hard drives to store Xbox 360 data. If you are not part of the Preview program you will get this functionality later this year. In addition we will also no longer reserve space in advance on your hard drive. If you are using 16GB of hard drive space for games – we will only take 16GB of space. And just like today – you will be able to use two external drives at a time.
Note: Some drives may be incompatible or have performance issues. If you already have space reserved for storing Xbox 360 data, you will need to clear the Xbox 360 storage to gain full access to the drive. If you are in the Preview program, please review the list of known issues before formatting your drive.
As a reminder, the best way to recommend changes and improvements to the Xbox One or 360 is through the Xbox Feedback website. We appreciate your feedback and continue to work on improving the Xbox experience

http://majornelson.com/2015/04/09/x...ogram-members-now-supporting-2tb-hard-drives/

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
It's about time.

How much would a decent HDD of 2TB with nothing fancy, that's all ready to be plugged into my 360 (It would need an enclosure obviously, I assume an external power supply, etc.), cost?

Too bad it only took them 10 years.

Do older 360's still need an official wireless adapter? That's another thing that also has annoyed me over the years, due to its price.

·
Registered
72 Posts
It's about time.

How much would a decent HDD of 2TB with nothing fancy, that's all ready to be plugged into my 360 (It would need an enclosure obviously, I assume an external power supply, etc.), cost?

Too bad it only took them 10 years.

Do older 360's still need an official wireless adapter? That's another thing that also has annoyed me over the years, due to its price.
$90-120 for 2TB roughly. Check Newegg and TigerDirect daily. They have sales all of the time. If you aren't on their email list, I definitely suggest doing so.
(Edit: this is for a external HDD, not an internal and enclosure. Internal HDD alone is $60+)
I'd suggest one that has it's own power supply so you are not putting a larger load on the Xbox 360. Also keep in mind that the Xbox 360 has USB 2.0 only. The USB 3.0 self powered drives might still work, but I am not completely sure.

For the wireless adapter, do you mean for connecting to your wireless router? If so, then yes. You need to hard wire it, purchase a wireless bridge or purchase the official wireless adapter.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
The bigger deal for external hard drives than 2TB support is that you no longer need to reserve a portion of the drive for Xbox storage, in my opinion.

Reactions: kevin g.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
The bigger deal for external hard drives than 2TB support is that you no longer need to reserve a portion of the drive for Xbox storage, in my opinion.
Agreed...now, if they would just eliminate the "owner login restrictions" for downloaded games...and just share LIVE, similar to what they have done with the Xbox One. Then my son could transport one HDD to all three of my 360's and play all my games without having to log me in.

·
Registered
10,432 Posts
So what is the max that a 360 will take now, 32gb right? To run games off of, I mean, I'm not talking about media just replacement for the internal HD (or flash) storage. 32gb yes?

And sometime this year that gets bumped up to 2TB so you can ignore having to get a knockoff internal drive for your 360 if you want more space (forget the official ones)...am I reading that correct?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Currently 32GB is maximum indeed and you can have up to two drives connected so it's basically 64GB of storage.
However the bigger issue is that some newer games do require official hard drive for mandatory content installs.
So it's kinda problem for Arcade or 4GB model owners.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Is this out yet for preview members to test? If so, any word on Xbox backwards compatibility (i.e., do you still need a regular Xbox 360 HDD to enable BC?)?

I have an older Xbox 360 arcade model that used the external hard drive setup, that I'd like to attach a large hard drive to and use as a 2nd console. But you can't seem to just buy a NIB 1st party 250 GB HDD anywhere, leaving me considering going the external route instead.

A quality counterfeit hard drive wouldn't be so bad, but I actually do utilize the backwards compatibility feature a bit to play Atari Anthology and a few other original Xbox games on my HDTV (My original Xbox is connected to my SD CRT where it looks best). And they never seem to have that necessary partition where emulation profiles reside to support that.

I wish I hadn't given away my original 20 GB hard drive from 2006, since I could just use that here to enable BC and do everything else from an external HDD when this firmware update goes public.

Are there counterfeits of the 20 GB or 60 GB HDD floating around (There undoubtedly are many for the larger sizes), or would I be pretty much guaranteed of ending up with an official version, if I buy a used one just to get Xbox BC going on this system?

·
Registered
7,142 Posts
Pretty much everything out there is counterfeit at this point. Especially used ones from Gamestop. If you can find the image of the hidden partition you can put the emulation profiles back onto the drive

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Pretty much everything out there is counterfeit at this point. Especially used ones from Gamestop. If you can find the image of the hidden partition you can put the emulation profiles back onto the drive
I've looked at those instructions before, and unfortunately, felt like it was a bit too complicated where my computer skills are concerned. [Edit: This is much easier than what I remember reading in the past. Is this all I'd have to do?]

Why would anyone have ever counterfeited a 20 gig HDD? I would think that as long as it has the Microsoft enclosure, that I'd at least be safe there.

If it's that risky, I'll have to buy locally at GameStop, I guess, after inquiring about their return policies. Should've held on to my old hard drive, but I never envisioned a day down the road where it would actually have a legitimate use after I first upgraded.

·
Registered
7,142 Posts
actually, I've posted those instructions before in another thread... :p
I'd lost the bookmark because it was on an old computer (before the days of synchronized bookmarks).

But yeah, it's totally doable. Just get the HDD. See if it works for an old game like Halo 2. Then if it doesn't image the partition.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
I have to say, I love this move by Team Xbox. I haven't bought a XB1 or PS4 yet because I pretty much moved to PC gaming exclusively a few years back to jump on the VR wave. And because I just liked it more. But I still prefer my Xbox 360 over any console old or new. Especially because of its huge game library. My wife has actually started using my 360 since I'm usually always on PC/Steam. And she is really digging it. So I'm going to buy at least 2-3 more Xbox 360's this year...archive a all of my games on their 2 TB drives...And have fun playing some them in multiplayer/co-op with her and other family members. I still believe that MS could have dominated the Next Gen war if it had simply launched XB1 with a companion, external 2-4 TB XB 360 emulator/extender drive that linked to XB1 via HDMI, wireless extender or USB-3.0. Even better if one could daisy chain them for new or old DLC from XB1 or XB360. As I've said in the past. IMO this was the biggest miss of Next gen consoles. And rendered them unimportant to me. I would much rather just buy 2-3 more small XB360 2-4 TB extender drives for use with a new XB1 than 2-3XB360 consoles. But alas ...that's the hand MS dealt me. I'm finished flushing entire game libraries uselessly for new consoles. When I don't have to do it with my PC.

·
UHD Addict
37,974 Posts
How much longer will they be selling the 360? With the decreasing hardware sales, won't they stop selling it soon?

·
Registered
7,142 Posts
It's also unfortunate they only sell the 360 E and not the 360 S. The E model is a downgrade.

Also, unless barrel is buying digital versions of the games (and only the later games had digital versions), you still need the discs around.

Seems kind of odd to pour hundreds of dollars more into the old consoles. Now buying used consoles at a huge discount... That's another story. I got my OG Xbox's for $25-50 each (including controller(s)), then outfitted them with 20GB - 320GB each, ripped all the games to the HDDs. Now that's worth it. New consoles at $150 each... o_O

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
You can still grab a new Xbox 360-S on discounts & closeouts. I've seen them as low as $75 (without HDD). And that is what I am targeting for 1-2 more before they are gone. Because I do believe MS will eventually make & market a companion accessory similar to what I described above for Xbox One, Surface, and Windows 10 PC. After they have discontinued the Xbox 360. But you will have to buy or rent the Xbox 360 games from their XBL Cloud service. And I don't see doing that for games I already have a disk & DLC for. Plus there are still games for XB360 that were never made for PC that I still want to play. So the daisy chained Xbox 360's will tie into my MS ecosystem nicely (hopefully). And I would finally buy an Xbox One to anchor it with for new Xbox titles like Halo 5.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts