AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up everyone??

1) How does the HD DVD player output via HDMI HD audio in DD and DTS? I haven't found any info about it.

I upgraded the Xbox to HDMI so I could use the HDMI output and take advantage of 1080p. But my main concern is the audio.

Can someone explain this???

Thanks in advance,

mantis

·
Registered
670 Posts
It's going to be extactly the same as using the optical connection from what I have been told. I hope you got a good deal on your old Xbox cause your not going to see much (if any) difference switching to HDMI 1080p from Component 1080i.

·
Registered
3,958 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantis10 /forum/post/12887792

Whats up everyone??

1) How does the HD DVD player output via HDMI HD audio in DD and DTS? I haven't found any info about it.

I upgraded the Xbox to HDMI so I could use the HDMI output and take advantage of 1080p. But my main concern is the audio.

Can someone explain this???

Thanks in advance,

mantis

On the 360 hdmi you get the same digital output choices you would have with optical or coax connection, DD 5.1 @640kbps, DTS @ 1.5mbps, PCM 2.0 lossless stereo or WMA Pro (if your receiver supports it).

If you want the best possible audio out you would need to pick up a standalone hd dvd player.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So what about HD audio? will the Xbox pass or decode it ? Via HDMI? Whats the point of having HDMI on the Xbox 360? Just for HD games in 1080p? I'm planning a preamp upgrade.

One thing I already noticed is the 360 didn't pass DTS over optical. My preamp(Rotel rsp1068) stayed in DD even after I selected DTS on the movie Soundtrack option.

Getting a Stand alone HD DVD player will happen if they survive this war. I picked up the external drive to have it but I felt it was a safe buy at 179.99.

I also upgrade my Xbox 360 to HDMi but I also game alot with it so that was also worth the extra cost.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts