1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I'm new with HD gaming with a 360.

I just bought a cheap HD set. The link to the manual is here:

http://www.astarelectronics.com/manu...B%20manual.pdf

I don't think this set is capable of using the VGA input with any sort of audio connection, so I'm not going to go with that route.

I'm currently using the YPBPR component connection. What is the YCBCR connection?

I tried using the CBCR connection but it didn't work; I only got a fuzzy mess.

I'm just asking so I can make use of the CBCR connection rather than let it go to waste.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I looked at your manual. You should consider getting the Microsoft VGA cable, and set the resolution of the XBOX the the native resolution of your new set, i.e. 1366x768. (The VGA port might be limited to 1280x768, but I doubt it.)

YCbCr is limited to 480p, like your typical Progressive Scan DVD player. The xbox can be made to work on this connection, but only if you set the resolution to 480p. (I see no reason to do that.)

You should have no problem hooking up audio, regardless of which connection method you choose. If you can't remap the inputs, you can always use the PC Audio In with an adapter.

If you already have the HD component cable, you should be able to use at lease both 720p and 1080i, and maybe if you're lucky 1080p as an undocumented feature. Just realize that the true resolution of your screen will always be the 1366x768.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah thanks.

I've been using the YPBPR input, running 720p without a hitch. I've shelved gears of war for 2 weeks waiting to enjoy it in HD and its going excellent. The game looks incredible, and I'm still on the 1st level! It does not accept 1080p but that doesn't matter; I don't have a 1080 set and there are no games of that resolution anyway.

If you are certain YCBCR is limited to 480p (which is fine actually, I can use a Wii on it) that will work as well.

Edit: I just tried the YCBCR input with 480p and I got the same fuzzy signal. You get 2 extremely distorted copies of the picture each about 1/5th of the screen.

I'll think about buying a VGA adapter.

I have no idea why they'd include 2 component inputs but only allow 1 to accept 720p, sigh. I'm not going to complain though; the TV was cheap, you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Please buy the VGA cable. My first HD set was 1080i 30-in WS Phillips (piece of junk). I also purchased a 19-in WS LCD monitor for my computer and for the xbox 360 when I go to visit friends for LAN parties. After seeing the difference between component and vga; I had no doubt in my mind that I was going to get an LCD HDTV with VGA in for xbox 360. To me, everything looks way sharper with less jaggies compared to component.

·
Registered
657 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertil /forum/post/0

YCbCr is limited to 480p, like your typical Progressive Scan DVD player. The xbox can be made to work on this connection, but only if you set the resolution to 480p. (I see no reason to do that.)

I'm confused. A component connection is perfectly capable of carrying a 720p or 1080i signal. Also, on page 9 of his manual, is states that the component connection can handle 480p, 576p, 720p and 1080i.

·
Registered
635 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertil /forum/post/0

I'm not sure what you're thinking of (S video?), but YCbCr has the same resolution capability as YPbPr and uses the same cabling. The 360 does not output CbCr at any resolution. I doubt the Wii does either. Some video devices (DVD players, usually) can be set to either output PbPr or CbCr over their component outputs.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricM407 /forum/post/0

I'm not sure what you're thinking of (S video?), but YCbCr has the same resolution capability as YPbPr and uses the same cabling. The 360 does not output CbCr at any resolution. I doubt the Wii does either. Some video devices (DVD players, usually) can be set to either output PbPr or CbCr over their component outputs.

This is what I figured. Can a comcast HD cable box use YCBCR?

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
... And in fact, some display devices can display both YPbPr and YCbCr on the same input, usually with an input mode selection. It's not an inherent property of either format that causes it to be resolution limited, but certainly some displays may have limitations on resolutions for each of their various input ports.

As for the properties of any individual input device, well, that would need to be investigated.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.