Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(sorry if this is the wrong folder)

I ask because there is a hard drive inside the Xbox, so I'm afraid to put it above the subwoofer... but there is no other place for it, other than the floor!

BTW the sub is an Infinity IL100S 250 watts, I assume it have a strong magnet and of course is not shielded.

Is it ok to just put it there?

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
jamus, Im not concerned about bass, but the magnet close to the HD of the Xbox. thanks.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Eh...

Where's the sub placement relative to the top where the Box is sitting.

Hard drives usually aren't as suceptable (sp) to magnetic field effects as say a floppy disk would be.

I think as long as you're at least a foot or so away from the VC you should be fine. Disclaimer-Opinion-Take what you want from it.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was planning to put it ON the subwoofer, guess I will put a box or something in between...

·
Banned
2,042 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jamus34
Eh...

Where's the sub placement relative to the top where the Box is sitting.

Hard drives usually aren't as suceptable (sp) to magnetic field effects as say a floppy disk would be.

I think as long as you're at least a foot or so away from the VC you should be fine. Disclaimer-Opinion-Take what you want from it.
Hard drives are very much susceptable to magnetic fields.

·
Registered
757 Posts
yeah, you better get that xbox away from the magnet unless you want to lose all of your saved games. haha

a coworker broke his xbox after he realized that it was packed next to the sub during his move.

but, my goodness, you want CDs/DVDs to operate without jitter or skipping. putting it near a sub is probably the_worst place.

·
Registered
392 Posts
In a PC magazine there was an article, top 25 computer myths and one of them was “will placing a hard drive too close to a magnet cause it to loose data or damage the drive†they declared the myth completely bogus, and said that you would need a magnetic field as strong as the earths gravitational pull to damage the drive. I would not put it on the sub because it will probably skip every time bass kicks in.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Heh, I actually have my Xbox on my sub, for the same reason (no other place for it). It's only been a few days like this. That said, I've had no issues w/ losing data and I don't have any games that cause a huge rumble. For movies, I use a real dvd player. Now, if you're going to use the Xbox to play movies, then putting it on the sub probably wouldn't be a good idea, due to the rumbling.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Matt_smi

are you willing to take your HDD out and circle it around your sub? ;)

it's my understanding that HDDs operate by a controlled magnetic field. i would wager that any significant interruptions will cause failures.

perhaps it is a myth? do you have any links?

thanks

·
Registered
107 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dhwilkin
Heh, I actually have my Xbox on my sub, for the same reason (no other place for it). It's only been a few days like this. That said, I've had no issues w/ losing data and I don't have any games that cause a huge rumble. For movies, I use a real dvd player. Now, if you're going to use the Xbox to play movies, then putting it on the sub probably wouldn't be a good idea, due to the rumbling.
IIRC that article was in Maximum PC.

How many office computers have the monitor directly on top of the CPU??? Monitors put out a noticable EM field too.

I think you would have to place a very strong magnet directly on the HD to do any damage.

·
Registered
392 Posts
metalaaron, link 1 that dhwilkin posted was the article I read. And would I do that with my HD, most likely not because I am an extra cautious kind of person, but if a hard drive manufactures states that “real world†magnets are not strong enough to cause damage, I would say it is safe. Hard drives do use magnetic platters but to my understanding that magnet in an HD is extremely strong and not easily disturbed my outside magnetic fields.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have had my XBOX on my sub for the last 2 years and nothing is wrong with it. I don't have anywhere else to put he damn thing it's so BIG. Don't worry about it!

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
The biggest issue you will run into will be the vibrations and their affect on the R/W heads in the drive. A strong enough vibration could change the the uprising of air in the HD from the platters spinning and cause the R/W heads to stop "flying" and hit the platters. This will ultimately lead to unusable areas on the platters and due to the damage may ultimately cause the R/W heads to hit the platters intermittently until the HD becomes so unusable it will fail.

No, that is not bogus but it is a definite possibility even though rare.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
as klipsch says, the main worry should be in the movement and shaking from being on the sub. headcrash is not fun.

Harddrives are usually shielded, as most people have theirs sitting in close proximity to their CRTs for years.

Most harddrives crash because of scratched platters. In the olden days, you have to specifically request the heads to park if you know you're moving machinery around.

most CRT monitors are not shielded. A silly freshman who shall remain nameless once spent hours trying to fix his monitor when it started to exhibit an unsightly green glow at the top corner of his monitor when he moved in to the dorms. A few days (yes, days... nameless freshman had not taken his EE courses yet) later, he realized that his alarm clock was the cause of the problem when it accidentally got knocked off its perch on top of the monitor. :)

If you have an old CRT lying around, a fun experiement is to take everyday household items (and spare HDs) and move them close to the screen and see how it affects the image. :)

·
Registered
295 Posts
Chronoshpere,

I have the exact same sub as you. I too put my xbox on the IL100 when I first got it and it stayed there for a few weeks with no problems. However I moved it after watching Star Wars EPII for the first time. When I turned on the lights after the movie was over I saw the xbox hanging half-off the edge of the sub ready to hit the floor. It went on the floor after that. I now have a different rack and it has it's own space there.

I was never really concerned about the magnet, but after seeing what the vibrations can do (or potentially do) I moved it immediately. Even if the thing dosen't get pushed off putting circuits boards and laser reading mechanisms through that kind of punishment can't be good.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.