AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here planning on getting an Xbox to play on a LT150?

If so how do you hook it up when you have the vga connection and Xbox has their own connecion on their unit?

Does this mean you would need one of those $300 switch boxes?

And you HTPC guys: can you add multiple component video interface cards on you PC and use it for video switching?

Thanks....

Bill

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I was wondering the same thing. The x-box looks pretty nice to me and I have an LT150 and HTPC. I guess if the x-box has s-video I can use that. I don't know much about the hi-def addon yet and I really don't want to purchase a switch box.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The Xbox system will offer 2 additional units (at extra cost) called the "Advanced AV Pack" and a "High Definition AV Pack" which include S-Video and Component video connections respectively. You can find these items at the XBOX site.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This question is to do with video game systems and the LT150 in general. Ive read that for normal NTSC broadcasts that you really need a line doubler or process the signal through a HTPC or you will get a pretty bad picture - is this the same with the output from video games systems (playstation 2 in particular)?

Or will using a s-video or component output from the playstation 2 give me a sharp picture without any other processing?

This is quite important to me as my choice of a projector will also be dependent on how well games will look on it, not just movies.

Thanks,

Steve

·
Registered
564 Posts
Quote:
The High Definition AV Pack connects the Xbox video game system to high definition-ready televisions. Supports 480p, 720p and 1080i component video signals for game play (NTSC only for DVD playback), analog audio inputs and digital receivers.
http://www.xbox.com/Hardware/adapter...tionavpack.htm

This is going to be the game console of choice for people with HDTVs. It's too bad the DVD playback is only 480i.

The big question for me is, "Do you think it would be too transparent if I bought an XBox for my three year old?"

--Burke

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Once you go with a progressive gaming system you never go back.

I've used the Sega Dreamcast with my LT150 with great results.

The X-BOX high-def pack has component outputs, L-R audio outputs, and one coaxial digital.

The X-BOX should output 480p for every game and 1080i and/or 720p for some in the future. Maden 2002 will have "wide-screen" support but I guess that will be 480p only.

Why the Xbox cancelled 480p support for DVD's 2 months ago, I have no idea. Anytime someone downgrades performance for an unknown reason, it makes me upset.

-Mr. Wigggles

·
Registered
23 Posts
Given that the X-Box is essentially a PC in a box, I wonder whether or not one will be able to adjust refresh rates ?

I'm soon to but an LT150, but am hesitant on building a HTPC because of the price and the lack of remotes and GUI's. I would love to solve the problem by just purchasing an X-Box and adjusting the refresh rate to suit the LT150. That way, I would have a progressive scan DVD player and high definition game console in one. Given that the High Definition AV pack for the X-Box will have a coaxial digital out for Dolby Digital and DTS, it may be the box of my dreams.

Pehaps that is just it, a dream.

Hope one of you guys gets an X-Box mid November (I can't get one in Australia 'till Feb 2002), and lets me know just what setting options are available for it.

Here's hoping. :)

·
Registered
599 Posts
there is still an unanswered question here...

How does an xbox integrate with a HTPC and LT150?

Do i use the xbox with the supposedly crappy s-video input directly on the LT150 and bypass the HTPC? This certainly is going to be no better than a DVD player directly to the LT150 on s-video - so it will most likely be unacceptable.

I only have two ways to get video into my HTPC - s-video via capture card and then dScale it, _OR_

8VSB digital input/NTSC analog on the accessdtv card.

With the HighDef xbox addon, how to I get those 3 component (or progressive) signals into either of my devices?

Is this one place where the RPTV people have us [LT150 owners] beat? Because they already have the component/hi def inputs on the back of their tv?

·
Registered
56 Posts
From what I can grasp the HTPC users want to use their systems as a A/V switching unit much like an A/V receiver? Not sure this can be done since HTPC's are considered output devices much like a DVD player.

Being no expert at HTPC's I'm sure someone may have a better grasp on this issue.

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Jaymer,

The LT150 supports component inputs, read the manual.

You will need to get what is often termed a "break out" cable or network monitor cable.

It has 5 BNC's at one end and a HD-15 at another. You then need BNC to RCA adapters at the source to connect it all together.

Or you can get a HD-15 to RCA cable from bettercables.com or someone else.

There is no need to use s-video.

-Mr. Wigggles

·
Registered
599 Posts
wiggleman !!!

gee, for someone (me) who is an understudy of yours from that STP/cat5 thread, I sure do feel stupid !

i guess i just didn't put it together since I don't have that type of DVD player - or any components like that.

yes, sure i see now. treat it just as a DVD player with progressive output and make the cable direct to the LT150 - easy as pie!

·
Registered
10,201 Posts
Those $500 packages include 3 games, an extra controller, and a carrying case. Assuming $50 per game and $50 for the controller, and ignoring the carrying case which few of us would buy anyway, that puts the game system at about $300, which really isn't bad.

·
Registered
599 Posts
scott,

yes, i'm following that thread over there.

so answer me this:

why all the talk about dscaler and xbox and some new Conexant stuff?

did the breakout cable method leave something to be desired?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I had my PS2 hooked up to DScaler through S-Video, which then automatically scaled the gaming to the output resolution, plus all the cool things DScaler does. The main benefit for me of this setup is that I already have all my sources going through the PC, so it is nice not to need any special switch boxes and just let DScaler do the video switching.

But now the XBox supports 480p natively, and as Stacey said, I don't want to throw away that nice natively progressive picture to go back down to 480i just so DScaler can bring it back to progressive and scale it up. If the new capture cards support 480p input, then that would be ideal, as I could leverage the XBox's progressive output and combine it with the feature set and integration through DScaler.

But to answer your question, the breakout cable solution for the LT150 worked perfectly. I just picked up some BNC to RCA adapters from RadioShack. I even added a Belkin KVM switchbox to make it easy to swap between the progressive component from XBox, and the 1024x768 from the HTPC. The LT150 just automagically recognizes the signal and syncs up!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.