AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got an xbox and I am about to go live. I'm just not sure how I want to do this yet. I've got 2 pc's and about to have a laptop on my network also. Right now Im running a hardwire router. My xbox will be in a completley differnt room from my pc's. I'm curious to know what kind of setups some you have. I'm also open to suggestions on what you would do for my situation. Thanks!

·
Registered
40 Posts
To be honest, I'm using a MN-100 router. Have a 5 ft cable going from the router to my PC. 2 20 ft Cables going from my router to the Xbox/PS2. Since both of these are hooked up to my 27 inch Sammy, whenever I want to play my Xbox games in 480p etc I run a 50ft cable to the living room for my Xbox.

P.S I dont play games in 480p/1080i on my HDTV unless they support 16:9.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Dave:

I chose the D-link 614+, but am using it hard-wired (not wireless) to the xbox. Setup was simple with the cable modem and even simplier for the xbox = i turned it on, and it worked first shot.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Davew0670
P.S I dont play games in 480p/1080i on my HDTV unless they support 16:9

I've already decided I will not buy any games that are not 16:9
Ya know, it's amazing. Do you people realize the % of console gamers that actually utilize HDTV and or Dolby? I bet it's 1-2%. If that. Hell, as of today's xbox live announcment of 750,000 users, that's only 5% of their install base! 5% of the XBox users have live. We are in a VERY small minority here with HDTV gaming.

You should be happy that SOME games support this, and it's absolutly assinine to not buy a good game because it doesn't support your HD setup.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Have a netgear wirelesss 802.11g router and the microsoft xbox wireless access point, easy to set up and no lag on RB6. Could not run hard wire but have been very happy with setup!

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Davew0670

I've already decided I will not buy any games that are not 16:9
You won't be buying many games :D

A lot of the stretched games look good - it's not that big of a deal.

So you either run a wire (get an inexpensive switch if you need more ports) or you go wireless. If you go wireless either a 'G' or 'B' will be more than enough for internet but this will necessitate a new router that is capable of wireless as well as a wireless ethernet bridge for the Xbox (you your get a router that is both wired and wireless). Running a wire is a much cheaper alternative if you can but you might find having your laptop on wireless to be a nice freedom.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
I'm using a Dlink 604 router to feed (2) Xbox consoles and (2) computers. In addition to Xbox live, the router also game links both Xboxes, which are in opposite sides of the house, for Halo parties. We also use Xbconnect to play Halo and other linkable games online.

Jon

·
Registered
778 Posts
Wireless here...

D-Link DI-614+ and DWL-900AP+. The DWL-900AP+ was cheaper than their wireless bridge, the DWL-810+.

Matt

·
Registered
916 Posts
I'm running a LinkSys WRT54G router w/ a PC, Xbox, and Replay plugged into it via hardwire. I have 2 laptops on the wireless network, and another 2 PCs plugged into a standalone hub that also has a LinkSys WET11 wireless bridge plugged into it, and it all seems to work just fine.

For you, Dave, I would recommend a wireless bridge in the Xbox, like the WET11. It should work just fine with the Xbox. You would connect it to a PC, configure it (I think you may want to disable NAT), then just plug it into the Xbox. It's also more versatile than the wireless game adapters, so if your config changes in the future, you may still be able to use it in your system.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.