AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any idea what kind of ports the Xbox uses? I wonder if i'll be able to hook up a keyboard and mouse to it?

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
I do believe the xbox supports a keyboard and a mouse. I don't thinks they'll be out at the launch but eventually MS wants us to use it as an e-mail/web unit so no keyboard and mouse would be crazy.

·
Registered
904 Posts
joe,

I hate to be contrary, but every indication I've read states that microsoft wants it to be purely a gaming platform with no web/email access ever. There have been rumors about a next-gen product that would be much more like a PC/Web terminal, but this has largely been discounted as pure speculation. MS's entire business plan (for the xbox) is centered around the gaming model of selling hardware at a loss to generate profits off software licensing/sales. MS wants very much to prevent people buying the unit for purposes other than gaming because then there is no profit and they lose money on each unit. This is the primary reason why the DVD player is extra and they may not be offering progressive scan for the DVD output. They don't want people buying the x-box as a cheap progressive player and never buying games.

As far as connections are concerned, the controller ports are basically USB, for which there are mice/keyboards, but the connector shape is changed and the unit provides far more power than the USB spec allows. I believe MS said this is because some of the controllers need more juice to provide force feedback, etc. But I think the real reason is to prevent people from using inexpensive PC hardware and controllers.

jake

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
I saw this on planetxbox:

. Internet support will allow for multiplayer gaming, web surfing, and checking email.

that's what threw me off. Who knows what will happen. MS will make any money they can in any way they can.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jakehall
joe,

This is the primary reason why the DVD player is extra and they may not be offering progressive scan for the DVD output. They don't want people buying the x-box as a cheap progressive player and never buying games.
Why would they care? I mean at least they sold one more X-Box and DVD add on. It's more money than they would make if the person didn't even buy it.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by a1rabbit

It's more money than they would make if the person didn't even buy it.
actually, that's not true. aside from the more intangible aspect of market share and units sold as benchmarks, MS loses money with each hardware unit sold. I believe it is on the order of $150. The business plan is to make the money back through game sales and licenses. It's just like the classic razor blade model, sell the razor at a loss and make money on the replacement blades. If everyone bought the razor for some other purpose and never bought blades, the razor company would go out of business.

Another big example is the low-end inkjet printer market. Why do you think they sell or give away color printers for

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.