AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These units can be had for relatively low cost. How bad is their DVD playback when compared to a real player like the rp62 or rp82. In terms of PQ, is the difference night and day? What kind of deinterlacers do they have? Basically, how much does quality suffer if someone tries to use these as their DVD player?

·
Registered
13 Posts
IIRC, no matter what you use, the Xbox will give you 480i for DVD movies. If you feel like voiding the warrenty, there are sites that show you how to get 408p out of the Xbox, as well as region free.

As far as PQ goes, I do not have nice player to compare it to (which is why I am using it as a DVD player). It does, however, suffer from some mpeg2 glitching on some discs, Monster's Inc for example. It also suffers from the added "protection" that Columbia Tri-star introduced. (At least I think it was Columbia Tri-star.) So far, I still have yet to watch The Patriot or All The Pretty Horses.

Hope I started on some answers for you.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, I didnt realize that it doesn't deinterlace production DVDs. I assumed since it supported 480p it would deinterlace. And coupled with artifacts on Monster's Inc... Erk.

Thanks a lot, you've provided me with the info I wanted. A good standalone player is the only option in my mind; barring external circumstances that make it impossible to have the 2nd player.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.