AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For some reason my Elite doesn't automatically log me into Xbox live anymore. I have it set to "auto login" and all it does is log me into my profile, but it won't connect to Live. I have to maually select "connect to xbox live" and even that doesn't always work. Sometimes I have to try 5-10 times before it'll log me into Live. I believe there is something wrong with my router/modem. I have AT&T DSL at 2.5Mps (tested) and a D-Link 624 router. It used to log me into Live automatically just fine, but it recently has stopped.

Does my router/modem location matter? I've heard that there could be interference if they're placed near electronics. Right now they are just sitting on the floor right next to my TV and speaker system. Moving them will take a while because its hard to get to the wiring. Does anyone know if changing the location of the router/modem will help? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I wouldnt think interference has anything to do with it, especially since you said it used to work fine. It sounds like IP conflicts to me. If your Xbox has an IP conflict when it attempts to log you into Live that would explain why you have to do it manually, especially if you are saying that even when you try to do it manually you still can't log in. Your Xbox tries, finds the conflict, so just leaves your profile signed out of Xbox Live.

What else do you have attached to your router? Check the range of IP addresses on your router, and check what IP address your Xbox is using. I remember having all kinds of problems similar to this when I was using a wireless gaming adapter for my 360. If my wifes computer was online, my Xbox would be trying to use the same IP address as her computer and I wouldnt be able to sign on. I know there are ways to have your router always assign your Xbox a certain IP address, but others here will have to help you with that one!

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Have you tested the network settings on the 360? Run that test and see if it hangs on a specific section and go from there.

If it's having trouble resolving an IP address and it's set for DHCP, you need to manually assign it a different IP address than it is trying to get currently.

·
Registered
93 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminal33 /forum/post/14155170

Does my router/modem location matter? I've heard that there could be interference if they're placed near electronics. Right now they are just sitting on the floor right next to my TV and speaker system. Moving them will take a while because its hard to get to the wiring. Does anyone know if changing the location of the router/modem will help? Thanks!

You haven't mentioned if you're using a wired or wireless connection. In some cases, wireless phones (I believe 2.4ghz) may cause signal interference with some Wifi channels. In most cases however, it shouldn't be an issue.

Do you have any problems with your PCs?

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike LS /forum/post/14155866

Have you tested the network settings on the 360? Run that test and see if it hangs on a specific section and go from there.

If it's having trouble resolving an IP address and it's set for DHCP, you need to manually assign it a different IP address than it is trying to get currently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelfrog /forum/post/14156529

You haven't mentioned if you're using a wired or wireless connection. In some cases, wireless phones (I believe 2.4ghz) may cause signal interference with some Wifi channels. In most cases however, it shouldn't be an issue.

Do you have any problems with your PCs?

I am using a wired connection to my router. I have also tested my connection and it sometimes fails at DNS, but most of the time it fails at Xbox Live. I have never made it to the very end (NAT). Also connected to my router are my Toshiba HD-A2 and PS3. All of those seem to have no problems connecting to the internet. I have 2 laptops (one is a Mac) that is connected wirelessly and they all seem to connect to the internet just fine.

Does anyone know how I can change the IP address and assign one specifically to my Xbox? Any other comments? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Go into the network settings (not in front of mine, so I can't give you specifics) and there will be a place to choose whether your 360 gets it's network settings automatically or manually.

First you need to check the settings as they are and write down the IP address, subnet, default gateway and DNS. Change the settings to manual and enter everything the same as what you wrote down except for the IP address. Depending on where in the chain your router is assigning DHCP addresses, just add 50 or so to the ending set of numbers in the string....that will get you far enough away from the DHCP range so you should have no problems.

Save those settings and see what you get.

·
Registered
374 Posts
What Mike suggests is good, but by the sounds of it, you don't have UP&P enabled on your D-Link router

Log in to your router via a webbrowser using your routers IP address (probably 192.168.0.1)

and in one of the sub-menus should be an option to enable/disable UP&P.

If it is disabled, this is probably your problem. Enable it, and then re-test your xbox network connection.

You should get all the way through, and with an Open NAT.

What it does: UP&P is what will allow your XBox360 to automatically (and dynamically) configure your routers ports to allow unrestricted network traffic to flow between the net and your xbox.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike LS /forum/post/14158663

Go into the network settings (not in front of mine, so I can't give you specifics) and there will be a place to choose whether your 360 gets it's network settings automatically or manually.

First you need to check the settings as they are and write down the IP address, subnet, default gateway and DNS. Change the settings to manual and enter everything the same as what you wrote down except for the IP address. Depending on where in the chain your router is assigning DHCP addresses, just add 50 or so to the ending set of numbers in the string....that will get you far enough away from the DHCP range so you should have no problems.

Save those settings and see what you get.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quidam67 /forum/post/14161499

What Mike suggests is good, but by the sounds of it, you don't have UP&P enabled on your D-Link router

Log in to your router via a webbrowser using your routers IP address (probably 192.168.0.1)

If it is disabled, this is probably your problem. Enable it, and then re-test your xbox network connection.

What it does: UP&P is what will allow your XBox360 to automatically (and dynamically) configure your routers ports to allow unrestricted network traffic to flow between the net and your xbox.

I just checked and I do have UPNP enabled. My IP is 192.168.0.1, so Mike, are you saying I should make it 192.168.0.51? Thanks..

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quidam67 /forum/post/14161499

Wow, you will not believe what fixed the problem. I actually had to disable UPnP. For some reason my firmware on my D-Link was not supported by Xbox. Therefore I had to disable the UPnP to make it work. I'm so relieved. Thanks for your help and input...

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Glad you got it working and it was a simple fix.

·
Registered
374 Posts
On the off chance that you read this. I'm curious about whether you get an Open NAT. If UPnP is disabled, I'm left wondering how your router knows what ports to open up for xbox live.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts