Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

Can anyone who has been using their XBox with the AE100 please post in this thread.

It is my intention to get an AE100. I currently have a dedicated DVD Player (SVHS output only), XBox (Component & SVHS output) and will be eventually building a HTPC (RGB Output) for the projector.

This will be my first projector experience.

Any comments (both positive & negative) are most welcome.

Regards,

os2

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I have been using the xbox with component, my verdict: it's just ok. While all games are 480p most are not 16:9, although the "just" mode seems to help (stretches the side of the picture if I read the manual correctly). I'm guessing a transcoder would improve my experience because the picture just seems too soft right now.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DRS
I have been using the xbox with component, my verdict: it's just ok. While all games are 480p most are not 16:9, although the "just" mode seems to help (stretches the side of the picture if I read the manual correctly). I'm guessing a transcoder would improve my experience because the picture just seems too soft right now.
You will need a transcoder. Either a GSOD, AA, CTC or a future MSFT VGA box (which is just a component cable with built in transcoder).

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Yep, that German vga box is a component-> VGA transcoder. It will do the job very nicely.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I just tried the Xbox on my Pany AE100 using composite into the video card of my HTPC. The picture was OK but as I saw on several other posts the picture was soft.

I have been looking around for a VGA pc cable for the Xbox and stumbled across the "Xbox High Definition AV Pack" and was wondering if any one has tried this adapter out with the AE100?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the replies so far. I checked out the search by JPinTO and found some interesting information.

I also stumbled across another XBox VGA box. The details are here:
http://www.lik-sang.com/catalog/prod...256&PID=529336

Be interesting if someone produced some software to allow the output of the XBox to be configurable. I have no doubts the graphics chipset would be up to the job.

Regards/thanks,

os2

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cyborge1
I just tried the Xbox on my Pany AE100 using composite into the video card of my HTPC. The picture was OK but as I saw on several other posts the picture was soft.

I have been looking around for a VGA pc cable for the Xbox and stumbled across the "Xbox High Definition AV Pack" and was wondering if any one has tried this adapter out with the AE100?
Here's the best tip for quality video: THROW OUT YOUR COMPOSITE CABLES AND NEVER THINK OF USING THEM AGAIN!

Ok, so now that that is said, and you aren't even thinking about composite, the HD pack will be a giant step forward-- heck, even S-Video is a step forward. For top of the line picture quality, use a VGA box as I mentioned above.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by os2
Thanks for all the replies so far. I checked out the search by JPinTO and found some interesting information.

I also stumbled across another XBox VGA box. The details are here:
http://www.lik-sang.com/catalog/prod...256&PID=529336

Be interesting if someone produced some software to allow the output of the XBox to be configurable. I have no doubts the graphics chipset would be up to the job.

Regards/thanks,

os2
Here's the scoop: THe REDANT BOXES SUCK!

They are merely cheap line doublers... in other words, you will get PQ about equal to a VB50.

For top of the line PQ, use a VGA Box that is a component->VGA transcoder, such as the german one mentioned above.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Here is my issue. Let's say the vga converter costs $75. Would it not make more sense to just but a inexpensive transcoder that way it could be used with a progressive scan player also....

·
Registered
90 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JPinTO

Here's the scoop: The REDANT BOXES SUCK!

They are merely cheap line doublers... in other words, you will get PQ about equal to a VB50.

For top of the line PQ, use a VGA Box that is a component->VGA transcoder, such as the German one mentioned above.
JPinTo, which German VGA box are you talking about?

Have you tried using the Xbox HD pack with a projector ( I know you have the same pany as mine... ) My son would love to play the xbox on a large screen but the picture we got was just so so. I was not sure if it was worth the extra money to get the HD pack over the S-VHS cable?

I have been looking around on the web and was hoping to find a vga adapter since the xbox is a glorified PC this should be a easy thing for enterprising people to come up with.. But no luck so far.

I found this link for making your own Xbox VGA cable if anyone is interested
http://pixel8.xbawx.org/VGA_Cable.htm

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DRS
Here is my issue. Let's say the vga converter costs $75. Would it not make more sense to just but a inexpensive transcoder that way it could be used with a progressive scan player also....
Bingo! An AA for $179 let's you use it for Xbox, Gamecube, ProgScan DVD or any other 480P component source.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cyborge1

JPinTo, which German VGA box are you talking about?

Have you tried using the Xbox HD pack with a projector ( I know you have the same pany as mine... ) My son would love to play the xbox on a large screen but the picture we got was just so so. I was not sure if it was worth the extra money to get the HD pack over the S-VHS cable?

I have been looking around on the web and was hoping to find a vga adapter since the xbox is a glorified PC this should be a easy thing for enterprising people to come up with.. But no luck so far.

I found this link for making your own Xbox VGA cable if anyone is interested
http://pixel8.xbawx.org/VGA_Cable.htm
The one posted above: http://www.digital-x.de/knowhow/xbox...a_box.htm#9999

Trust me... the difference between connections on the AE100 is NIGHT and day!

Let me describe my process of using a Dreamcast with the AE100 (still waiting on Xbox prices to drop).

I hooked up the Dreamcast using S-Video... well, you get a big picture... that's about it. It's not nice to look at. I hooked it up via component input and it was a little better than S-Video. I hooked it up via the Dreamcast's VGA box... it was unbeleivable... like looking at an arcade game: Sharp and crisp. There was no comparison between the component/S-Video an VGA.

Dreamcast was way ahead of it's time... they had a native VGA box... no other game console available today has this... not Xbox, GC or PS2.

But you can get a VGA box (transcoder based) like the german one. Or you can wait for the GSODII transcoder (component->VGA) or buy the expensive CTCA2: http://www.copperbox.com/lite/xbox.php These transcoder require you to have the MSFT HD pack.

Do NOT buy the Redant... it uses a very inferior line doubler and it is bogus. Trust me... I have one for my PS2 and it is useless!

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I saw that some posters were hoping that a VGA connector would soon be available for XBOX.

I am here to burst your bubble and to tell you that you will NEVER EVER see a licensed VGA connector for XBOX. Why? Because XBOX is basically a VERY VERY cheap PC that MS is losing money for every box sold. If VGA connector was available, it would give even more reasons for hackers to buy XBOX and use it as a PC (thus not getting the royalties from game titles). Not gonna happen.

That is the reason why you are only seeing VGA connectors sold from oversea operators from Singapore, Hong Kong, and others. If you want to buy the connector from them, just remember two things:

1. Do you really have that much faith to give your credit card number to oversea dealers selling hacked products?

2. The XBOX OS has some built in protection to foil basic VGA connection hacks (you will only see green colors, for example). So don't buy ANYTHING unless you have seen it work.

Can't have everything, can't we...

·
Registered
6,092 Posts
Jpinto,

Getting a work out?

"Should I use composite video with dental floss thin video cables or should I use a nice transcoder? The cheapest VGA box I can find is the Redant. I guess I'll order one of those

I'm so confused!!" ;)

-Mr. Wigggles

·
Registered
833 Posts
os2,

Quote:
I found what appears to be a more suitable VGA box that has optical out from the same company.

http://www.lik-sang.com/catalog/pro...roduct_features
Sorry, the first link to lik-sang you posted was a cheap Redant linedoubler that is beyond terrible. And this link here isn't even a VGA cable, its a Scart RGB cable, thus only interlace.

Jens,

Quote:
Im thinking about ordering this "xbox to vga adapter".

Anyone tryed it?
I haven't tried it, but followed the development of the german digital-x products. They sell 2 interesting things:

- a modified HD pack that will work with a PAL XBox. Only in 480p, not 720p or 1080i, though.

- a XVGA box, that is not a mear linedoubler (like the Lik-Sang/Redant crap) but an actual transcoder. I am not sure whether this box will allow higher than 480p even if combined with the US Xbox.

Both need to be ordered stating whether you have an US or PAL XBox.

As i said, i haven't tried it yet, but i have read reports of several german happy users.

cyborge1,

Quote:
I found this link for making your own Xbox VGA cable if anyone is interested http://pixel8.xbawx.org/VGA_Cable.htm
Hehe, great link. That made my day! Everyone should read it :D

These guys are really clueless. They build a 'VGA' cable by connecting the Y lead (from the component YUV output of the XBox) to Green on the VGA connector and the U and V leads to Red and Blue.

Of course, they get a picture, because the Y (brightness) signal is now shown on Green and the 'sync on Y' is now used as 'sync on Green' by the monitor, and the color difference signals U and V bleed through as hints of colors (see the Tecmo screenshots).

So they are simply connecting YUV to RGB without transcoding and then they state:

"As you can see the video on the xbox is green. If you play the demo through some scenes have red and blue in them so the cable is wired correctly. I believe MS has disabled VGA support by changing the palette to mostly green."

This is the funniest **** i have read in month! :D

And then they write:

"If this is true then when the OS is hacked VGA output can be restored to full color, and the dashboard can be fixed to output at 31KHz."

Yup, you guys wait for the OS to be hacked.

gameboy,

Quote:
I am here to burst your bubble and to tell you that you will NEVER EVER see a licensed VGA connector for XBOX. Why? Because XBOX is basically a VERY VERY cheap PC that MS is losing money for every box sold. If VGA connector was available, it would give even more reasons for hackers to buy XBOX and use it as a PC (thus not getting the royalties from game titles). Not gonna happen.
Hmmm, IMO, those are the least possible reasons. If they never release a VGA box, then because

a) there is no big market. Even the HD pack is a limited market for them, but making it HD cabable is a differentiator to the other consolose and makes a lot of sense in the mid to long haul. There are at least 10 times as many people interested in the HD pack compared to a possible VGA pack. With the deeper intrusion of HD displays this factor is going to get more like 100 to 1.

b) MS want to make a 'point' that this is really a game console and not a PC.

You don't honestly believe that even if the XBox got hacked the way that you could use a keyboard and mouse with it, that ANYONE except for a handful of freaks would use it as a PC? It IS true that they would loose the money on those without getting any royalities, but regarding the percentage of buyers how would do this, MS wouldn't give a damn. They might even be happy, because those folks are out of their warranty calculations for good.

Quote:
That is the reason why you are only seeing VGA connectors sold from oversea operators from Singapore, Hong Kong, and others. If you want to buy the connector from them, just remember two things:

1. Do you really have that much faith to give your credit card number to oversea dealers selling hacked products?
Oh yeah, why not include Germany as one of those scumback countries that you should never trust. All thiefs, right?

Quote:
2. The XBOX OS has some built in protection to foil basic VGA connection hacks (you will only see green colors, for example).
Oh, so at least one person believed the nonsense from the link above. :)

Quote:
Can't have everything, can't we...
No we can't. The digital-x VGA box really works, though, and there will be more of the likes in the future, rest assured.

Regards

Bjoern

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
You are crazy if you believe MS doesn't care about hackers turning XBOX into PC's. MS is already losing $150 to $200 on every XBOX sold. Why would they do ANYTHING that is going to have even small possibility of never recovering that money back (by selling games)? Your argument of MS is happy to void warranty is laughable.

If you think there is no big market (at least bigger than HD packet market) for geeks who would LOVE to play HALO on their HI-RES monitors, you have not met with XBOX players that I have met.

It is VERY true that MS wants to distance XBOX from PC's and part of the reason why DVD pack is extra (again, MS is losing money, so why would they encourage people to pickup XBOX as a cheap progressive DVD player - and again not recover the lost money from games?). The XBOX OS team had to argue hard to make the DVD pack available at all. Clearer heads prevailed in that battle but unfortunately, that is not true for VGA box.

Bjoern, you can believe what you want to believe, but the fact is you will never see a LICENSED VGA box for XBOX (go ask the XBOX developers yourself).

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.