Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've done it!

you have to have a modded xbox (pretty easily done as demonstrated on TechTV) and a popular media app for the xbox called XBMP or Xbox Media Player. Then you have to share your files with the xbox through a program that resides on your DVA pc, that program is called Relax, but you can also use SMB to share the files.

once the connection is set up, you can scroll through your dv archive folder and most of the files have sane file names: Everybody Loves Raymond - Season-s Greetings.mpg etc.. a couple of my file names are: 1050213568.mpg etc...

its pretty cool if you would want to watch programs in another room with out a replay, and you also get an xbox and you can stream you mp3s wavs etc.

if someone with some coding knowledge would step up to the plate, it would be possible to write an xbox native dv archive client, complete with show info, commercial advance and all the other goodies.

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
DVArchive is a java program. Is there a java platform for a modded Xbox? Also, can you use the digital audio out of the Advanced AV pack with your MP3's?

Cheers

·
Registered
742 Posts
It's just a matter of time before all DVD Players become networked devices also. If you think about the technology in a DVD player, many thay play MP3/JPEG already have the file browsing software (CD and DVD) and of course MPEG playback capabilities. Add a cheap network card to a DVD player, tweak the s/w and it won't be long before APex have a $100 machine that does it all.

Not sure when we'll see replay's version : http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,108670,00.asp

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by franc11s
It's just a matter of time before all DVD Players become networked devices also. If you think about the technology in a DVD player, many thay play MP3/JPEG already have the file browsing software (CD and DVD) and of course MPEG playback capabilities. Add a cheap network card to a DVD player, tweak the s/w and it won't be long before APex have a $100 machine that does it all.

Not sure when we'll see replay's version : http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,108670,00.asp
Yeah that's nice & all, but the XBOX is available today. It's not some vaporware, 'we'll be shipping that soon' empty promise. I've had a pre-order in for the GoVideo D2730 since they started taking pre-orders. I've watched the ship date slip from mid April, to early May, to not being published on the web site any more.

That convinced me to go out & get me an XBOX, and a mod chip. Those two items still cash in cheaper than the GoVideo Unit.

The fact that the Xbox Media Player app can stream replay vids from the DVA folder is just more gravy.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I hear you slack, but I have PS2 and Gamecube and no intention of buying another game :) Besides my kids would probably always be playing games when I wanna watch TV :) I do think still, a year from now, they'll be an APex that'll do it for

·
Registered
127 Posts
Probably the most promising way to make DVArchive work on the xbox is to run linux and JDK 1.4 on the xbox. Then it should work. Ofcourse that brings up the question of whether anyone has gotten java working on the linux xbox distro yet. Also, while I haven't followed the linux port to the xbox to much, I remember you having to flash the mod chip with the linux kernel. Kinda made the xbox useless for anything accept linux at that point. Please correct me if I am wrong.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Um - can I just say to all the grumps on this thread - WAY TO GO Statix! This is a cool piece of news, and means that you can buy subsidised hardware to act as a streamer (with no service fees).

Again - congrats!

·
Registered
742 Posts
JustDave, not sure what grumps you are referring too but we all think it's good news.

As for "means you can buy "subsidised hardware to act as a streamer" perhaps you've been an "ex-replayer" for too long as DVArchive/PC/Notebook combinations have been around for some time.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I am with Statix that this is very cool! I have a modded xbox downstairs, and a 4040 and an XP system upstairs. I could do the same thing with video, but unfortunately the xbox to the rest of my network is via wireless and too slow. But I share out my MP3 and picture collection via the RelaX software in XP to the xbox and that is very neat indeed. Although I have copied replay mpegs that I got from DVArchive to my xbox via ftp. I then play the mpeg locally from my xbox hard drive (upgraded to 120GB of course!) It is extremely cool stuff.

Did you know you can play games from an xbox too? :D

·
Registered
127 Posts
Franco: You were able to play non-altered MPEG's from your ReplayTV unit on your XBox? I tried this on a mpeg from my 4532 box, but XBMP would not play it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
kcobra, I'm pretty sure I did just that. I'm about 95% sure I copied a South Park Mpeg (unchanged from Dvarchive) from my XP system to my xbox and it played just fine. I have a 4040 and I'm using DVarchive 2.0a. I'll have to try it again this weekend just to be sure I wasn't thinking about DiVx AVIs I had copied to the xBox. Xbox Media Player is very neat! Version 2.3 screws up video if I pause large video files, but I know I can always go back to 2.0 where it worked fine.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Statix

I've done it!

you have to have a modded xbox (pretty easily done as demonstrated on TechTV) and a popular media app for the xbox called XBMP or Xbox Media Player. Then you have to share your files with the xbox through a program that resides on your DVA pc, that program is called Relax, but you can also use SMB to share the files.

Not to tip my hand too much (especially if it doesn't work and I have to withdraw it) - and recognizing my understanding of what you can do with an Xbox is exactly 0 - DVArchive V2.1 may have something to make the process even easier :)

P.S. It will help out non-XBOX folks too

·
Registered
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JustDave
Um - can I just say to all the grumps on this thread - WAY TO GO Statix! This is a cool piece of news, and means that you can buy subsidised hardware to act as a streamer (with no service fees).

Again - congrats!
Not so easy. :p

It required James Bons AGF (or was it Nightfire?) and a computer interface to a memory card. Then there was a complicated process of copying a modified game save to the card.

I think you had to run the game then load the modified save game from the card every time you wanted to boot into linux.

A modchip + pogopins would be much easier! :D :p

·
Registered
166 Posts
No, you save the game, remove the hard drive and plug it into a Linux box. It is not at all difficult. There is no memory card access required

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
I'm trying to figure out what the playstation 3 is going to be.

I've heard mumblings that it is going to be more than just a game system with room to room network cababilites. When I hear 'streaming video and mp3s' it makes me wonder if the playstation 3 will bleed into the pvr market or home automation.

The most outrageous thing about the playstation is it's cpu artitecture. They are shoving 4 or more processors in each unit and if you have more then one unit the cpus freely share eachothers processing power. Much like IBM's 'Grid' networks. Perhaps not unrelated, IBM got the contract to produce processors for the Playstation 3.

Dont hurry to anticipate this thing. It's supposed to be released late 2004 or early 2005

check out this link that explains how the cpu artitecture works.

This technology isnt new but it's so good to see it used in a consumer level product. Grid computing lets you buy the amount of speed by the pound so to speak.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=7078

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
love the responses, i should have been aware that replaytv owner were modders. whats the point of having it if you cant take it apart?

I know we have some killer software writers with us here, and from some of the software that has been put out for the modded xbox, it doesn't seem like its extremely difficult to do (but i can't write a single line of code, so take it for what its worth)

all the program would have to do is:

1 connect to the pc and view shared files via relax, xns, smb

2 view show descriptions

3 (heres hoping) read the file that contains the commercial advance info

4 play back the .mpg (the libraries are ported and widely available)

5 introduce features like auto commercial advance, 30 sec advance, instant replay etc.. using the xbox dvd remote

maybe it could be an open source project like xbmp, throw it up on source forge and see who can help.

·
Registered
91 Posts
kcobra, I just confirmed that I was able to copy a an unmodified Replay Mpeg that copied to my PC via DVArchive 2.0a, then FTP'd to my xbox. I was able to play a 3.3GB video file of the movie Pollock recorded on medium quality originally recorded on a Replay 4040. I can play the mpeg on XBMP versions 2.0 and 2.3.

gduprev, DVArchive is the best thing since the modern invention of cheese itself. I mean it! NOTHING has given my Replay more value than this piece of software. Many thanks! When can we expect 2.1?

Statix, the idea you propose is pretty neat. I'm just ecstatic enough right now that I've gotten all this stuff to work in the first place!

Replay + DVArchive + PC + Xbox + Xecuter2-Lite modchip + pogopin adapter + 120GB Maxtor hard drive (in the xbox) + network + wireless + RCA F38310 TV = Super fun! (it's really a simple equation ;) )

·
Registered
79 Posts
For those folks who mentioned they had a PS2, something like this may be able to do some nice things for ya...

http://www.thinkgeek.com/electronics/video/5c3b/

It is called QCast. If your PS2 has an ethernet port ($39) you can stream all kinds of stuff to it over your LAN. I have not tried it yet, but it is my next purchase now that I have the new hard drive with DVArchive running.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Eudmin
For those folks who mentioned they had a PS2, something like this may be able to do some nice things for ya...

http://www.thinkgeek.com/electronics/video/5c3b/

It is called QCast. If your PS2 has an ethernet port ($39) you can stream all kinds of stuff to it over your LAN. I have not tried it yet, but it is my next purchase now that I have the new hard drive with DVArchive running.
QCast is not yet able to stream ReplayTV MPEGs. It has trouble with high-res/high-bitrate files. Their primary focus has been on the DiVX and Audio codecs. They keep promising that they are working on it, but to date it hasn't been worthwhile.

BTW, I've been working with QCast since it was in Beta, and have actually purchased it, so I'm not just knocking it for the sake of being negative. It's just not ready for us yet.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.