AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of hacking an X-Box to be an Audiotron-like media server, but with video output. Anyone try this? Plan is to install a "mod chip" which allows unregistered software to run, and run one of the available media player apps out there (on the x-box) along with a media server running on the networked PC. I must be bored!

Mike

PS The inspiration is coming from the Playstation-only QCast tuner from www.broadq.com

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm planning on using the XBox as a media server for both audio and video using the XBox Media Player , which has a server component that you run on a server PC. The XBox and Mod Chip (Matrix) are currently "in the mail".

Will post my progress when the goods arrive.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dave,

Sounds like we're on similar paths. My mod chip is also in the mail. I think I ordered xecuter 2 lite or some such. I've got the ftp site info to get the other stuff we'll need. email me and I'll give u the info.

Mike

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've been thinking about doing the same thing. I will probably buy another xbox so I don't have to worry about getting locked out of the live service. Please let us know how ya'll's projects go.

Thanks and good luck,

Brandon

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Is there any place that's currently selling pre-modded Xboxen?

I already have an Xbox, and it works fine, and I'd like it to stay that way. Although I do know my way around a soldering iron, and have even successfully constructed computers back in the days when that involved the use of soldering irons, I really don't trust my failing eyesight, unsteady grip and today's 10000 layer PC boards with surface mount components.

If I could just get a second XBox, premodded, that'd be helpful.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts

No longer available

So says the site.

Although, it's easy enough to buy a new XBox and send it to them for modding.

Thanks for the pointer!

·
Registered
92 Posts
If you modify the Xbox, is it possible to xfer data to it via ethernet for transfer of MP3's? I have almost 20gigs worth. Sounds like it might be really cool...any stability issues?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
If you modify the Xbox, is it possible to xfer data to it via ethernet for transfer of MP3's? I have almost 20gigs worth. Sounds like it might be really cool...any stability issues?
Don't know yet! There is a streaming server component out there for the XBox, plus a couple of media players. The server will stream mpeg as well as audio. Gonna give it a shot and see how it works.

·
Registered
20 Posts
If you have a PS/2 and a network adapter, there is a $50 piece of software called Qcast by a company called BroadQ ( www.broadq.com ). It streams MP3, WMA and DivX from your PC to your PS/2. I have this as well as an audiotron and I think this a great little piece of software.

Jeff

·
Registered
59 Posts
Update:

I got the XBox and the Matrix Mod chip last Wednesday just as an ice storm was hitting. I managed to get the mod chip flashed just as the power went out. Friday night the power finally comes back on and I'm able to finish the hack in another hour (two hours total, including software installation).

Observations:

1. The audio quality seems fine over the optical outputs and my AV receiver registers it as Dolby Digital.

2. The video quality at 480p seems just OK. Colors appear somewhat washed out and there is no software interface for tweaking video properties (yet). Haven't been able to test 1080i.

As for the Media Software:

3. XBox Media Player: Works OK for playback of video (divx\\mpeg2) and audio (mp3) streams from my PC. Missing in the 1.02 release is 480p and 1080i support. Also can't stream mp3 playlists, thus it only plays one song at a time (yuk).

4. YAMP: Works OK for playback of video (divx\\mpeg2) and audio (mp3) streams from my PC. Supports meda playlists and 480p video output but is not the most stable software. Can 't stop a playlist without rebooting the xbox?

5. Neither XBMP or YAMP support DVD playback at all. Further, the default MS DVD player software doesn't do progressive although there is a SW hack to enable this this that I haven't tried.

6. XBMP and YAMP programmers have announced that the are combining there efforts so hopefully the capabilities and quality will progress more quickly (there is a 2.0 release coming this weekend).

6. In each case the user interfaces leave a lot to be desired. I'm sure this will improve over time but at this point I'm a little disappointed. I guess I'll need to contribute my programming capabilities to XBMP after the 2.0 release.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Update #2:

The new release of the XBox Media Player (XBMP 2.0) is out and it is a major improvement. The new user interface is a clone of the GUI for the Windows XP Media Center edition. It looks and operates almost identically, with the exception that there is no PVR functionality (yet!).

I was able to queue mp3 albums into a play list, start the play list, then browse to my photos and start a photo slide-show while the music played. All of this content is hosted on my main PC. Very cool!

As for the video support it is now possible to enable fddshow post processing and tweak other video settings while the video is playing. Several bugs in the various decoders have been fixed so that almost every video format is supported and works well. AC3 support is supposed to be working however I haven't verified this. On the negative side the 480p and 1080i functionality is no longer present. According to the developers they are focused on fixing bugs and usability enhancements so HDTV support is not a priority (bummer!).

New features reported to be in development:

- Better thumbnail support for audio and video files.

- PRV functionality using a USB WinTV tuner.

- Visualizations during audio playback.

- Window media 9 playback.

The XBMP developers have produced an truly impressive "product" and it is improving daily.

Begs the question: Why didn't Microsoft develop and release this product?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dave,

Got my chip this weekend, will start to mess with things after the holiday. You seem to have gotten to where I want to be already. Sounds promising. As for MSFT and their ability to envision what seems logical to us, they can wait and then buy it. Let others do the grunt work and take the chances. Hard to argue with success.

Happy Holidays all!

Mike

·
Registered
185 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DaveL
Begs the question: Why didn't Microsoft develop and release this product?
Excellent question, it is the lack of this product that has held me back from buying an Xbox.

So if I get a new Xbox, and a Xboxâ„¢ Matrix / Xodus Modchip and XBMP it sounds like I am set.

Anything particular I should be aware/concerned about or is this pretty straight forward.... (Appliance "hacking" to date = Virgin Media Internet Appliance, epod, and TiVo)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
With my kid home for winter break, I haven't been able to install the mod chip yet. Mine does require tack soldering like 9 points on the m/b, with a 15 watt iron and a real tiny tip, both of which I'll have to p/u at R/S. Last time i soldered, other than plumbing and speaker leads, was a Heathkit shortwave receiver, oh about 30 years ago!

Mike

·
Registered
440 Posts
does xbox media player 2.x support 1080i?

if so how where do i get a sample 1080i clip?

I have been trying to get xbmp to play hd content for a while now, but i cant find any, except for some .ts files, which i cant seem to convert to mpeg or avi or whatever.. i just want to test my tv for 1080i content, cause i dont have any OTA , or a satelitte reciever.

·
Registered
308 Posts
DaveL - how about an update...

I've searched around some on the net, but it would be nice to have a quick update from someone who has actually tried this xbox add on software. Is there an internet browser, or a customizable interface available yet? Any update on the 480p/1080i?

Thanks!

·
Registered
275 Posts
Found this thread when I was browsing the 'other' forums the other night. SInce finding it I have a lot of the software I think I need (having read multiple tutorials over at www.xbox-scene.com and www.xboxmediaplayer.com ) except the chip, plan on getting the Xecutor 2 Pro - does this sound good?

I plan on using the XBOX as an MP3 media server, and a method by which I can get films output in 1080i format to my Panny HD set.

Now how are you all doing? Have any of you managed to output DVDs in 1080i? I am seeing that the XBOX Media Player (XBMP) appears to have builds released every few days, the latest having been released today.

What configurations are you all using? BIOS, modship, dashboard version, and of course XBMP version?

Thanks, Brett

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.