AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just bought a Xbox Arcade. The plan was to use my monitor to output the video and my PC sound card to output the sound. This was very easily done with the PS3 using this:

The plan was to use an HDMi to DVi cable and hook that up to my monitor. Then I cracked open the casing of the composite(red/white/yellow plugs) to allow for both the HDMi and Composite cable to run in tandem. So far so good, with just the composite White/Red plugs inserted into my PC sound card, I was getting sound through my speakers no problemo. The problem occurs when I plug in the HDMI to DVi cable, the Xbox recognizes it as straight digital audio(which it clearly isn't) and it completely turns off the sound.

Is there a fix for this? I can't believe MSoft makes it this hard to basically run two outputs.

·
Registered
578 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch00ch /forum/post/18307845

So I just bought a Xbox Arcade. The plan was to use my monitor to output the video and my PC sound card to output the sound. This was very easily done with the PS3 using this:

The plan was to use an HDMi to DVi cable and hook that up to my monitor. Then I cracked open the casing of the composite(red/white/yellow plugs) to allow for both the HDMi and Composite cable to run in tandem. So far so good, with just the composite White/Red plugs inserted into my PC sound card, I was getting sound through my speakers no problemo. The problem occurs when I plug in the HDMI to DVi cable, the Xbox recognizes it as straight digital audio(which it clearly isn't) and it completely turns off the sound.

Is there a fix for this? I can't believe MSoft makes it this hard to basically run two outputs.

I guess I would ask; what monitor are you using? I'm wondering if your monitor is reporting that it has audio support. So, the xbox is auto-switching to audio over hdmi/dvi instead of analog. If your monitor does not support audio via HDMI/DVI, then there should be no issue getting analog audio out. There are many people out with the same setup, that are getting analog audio.

Many here will claim that DVI cannot carry audio, but this is provably wrong, as a DVI cable can carry 100% everything identically as an HDMI cable can.

P.J.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I actually figured it out, it was really....dumb.

You have to make sure the HDMi cable is in first, before the composite cable. Not sure why, but hey, there it is.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts