Found this post on the videogame newsgroups:

-----------

"Cherokee180c" <[email protected]> wrote in message

news:[email protected]

> Oh, I am sorry, it is the typhoon excuse now! How about my dog ate my

third

> party support mom, and I really do have tons of software coming next week,

> after the typhoon is over

Wow, you sound so mature. I wish i could be cool like you.

Its a shame about the XBOX though, with Microsoft having screwed themselves

up because there was a leak about the Homestation. http://www.pcformat.co.uk/news/detail.asp?id=30803

This info has been around for weeks now and the XBOX preorders have been

dwindiling away, people cancelling their orders.

Looks like Gates will have to wait another year or so for a profit, when

they launch the Homestation.

----------

i've been seeing lots of posts about the microsoft homestation in the newgroups the last couple weeks. those of you planning to buy an xbox might want to wait a couple months for the official announcement about homestation. apparently it plays xbox games and pc games and include a tivo like functionality.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rorybbellows:
XBOX preorders have been

dwindiling away, people cancelling their orders.
support this with evidence please.

------------------
ADebars>
Mitsubishi WT-46807 Widescreen HDTVs>
JVC XV-S65 Progressive Scan DVD Players>
Mitsubishi SR-HD400 HDTV Decoders>
DirecTV HDs>
My DVDs - DVD Profilers>

Danger! Danger! Danger!

·
Registered
799 Posts
The consensus among cooler heads is that Homestation was/is a product concept that got floated around but never received funding. I believe that MSFT is not working on the Homestation.

·
Registered
39 Posts
It's obvious the original poster of this is an MS hater. Stuff like this is typical all across the Net because they try to spread as much bad word about MS as possible so I never really listen to them. They are deluded and should be commited somewhere with padded cells. The Homestation was and is simply a false rumor spread by his fellow MS Hating nutheads.

------------------

"Imagination is more important than knowledge" - - Albert Einstein

TiVo 2.0.1

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
The homestation doesn't exist, the homestation NEVER existed. The homestation is OBVIOUSLY the Xbox. Those idiots didn't do any digging. Hmmm, hard drive, powered by Nvidia, plays DVDs. What could it be?????????? Oh, it's the X BOX. The just got rid of the ability to play PC games and arent hyping up the movie ability. Only a complete idiot that didnt understand marketing would think that MS Would spend money and time researching the homestation when so much is riding on the xbox. And pre-orders arent dwindling, most stores with a fixed amount of pre-sales are sold out around the US.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by policy:
The homestation doesn't exist, the homestation NEVER existed. The homestation is OBVIOUSLY the Xbox. Those idiots didn't do any digging. Hmmm, hard drive, powered by Nvidia, plays DVDs. What could it be?????????? Oh, it's the X BOX. The just got rid of the ability to play PC games and arent hyping up the movie ability. Only a complete idiot that didnt understand marketing would think that MS Would spend money and time researching the homestation when so much is riding on the xbox. And pre-orders arent dwindling, most stores with a fixed amount of pre-sales are sold out around the US.
You took the words right out of my mouth.

------------------

I Want My Sports In HDTV

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
all i did was post a link to an article. odd that you all respond so defensively. now it's my turn...you do realize microsoft is one of the most unscrupulous tech companies in the world. they slow technological progress in their efforts to bend every open standard and protocol to their own proprietary purposes. do some research on the company, start with c# and .net. visit slashdot.org. most real techies (i.e. people with engineering degrees, not cisco certifications) hate microsoft. there's a reason.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Hmm... I think you just proved the point of Sacrates (regarding your bias).

But back to the topic - why would Microsoft make another product that has essentially the same features as XBox? As thin as the margins are for game consoles, it doesn't make sense to replace them before you recoup the engineering costs.

It would be far smarter of them to offer a video capture add-on pack for the XBox. It could be a high-markup item that potentially enhances their game console market share (win-win). They've already shown that they understand this strategy with the DVD pack.

------------------

- Jeff

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have already ordered my xbox, so with that said....

Microsoft has always done their best to come out with one product after another that seem to superceed it almost immediatetly; with the next product attempting to fix the things that were buggy and try to do the things that ms said the first would do. eg win 1-3.1 95, 98 0sr2 win 2000 , me nt xp " zp " etc

I just want the xbox to be better than ps2 and do high def games. Anything else would be gravy.

Frankly im surprised that ms had not bought nintendo/sony and put its own name on, embedded ms-explorer and called it its own.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff T:
Hmm... I think you just proved the point of Sacrates (regarding your bias).

But back to the topic - why would Microsoft make another product that has essentially the same features as XBox? As thin as the margins are for game consoles, it doesn't make sense to replace them before you recoup the engineering costs.

It would be far smarter of them to offer a video capture add-on pack for the XBox. It could be a high-markup item that potentially enhances their game console market share (win-win). They've already shown that they understand this strategy with the DVD pack.
uh because it doesn't have the same features as the xbox. it's a tivo-like content delivery system *that also plays xbox and pc games*.

anyone who knows videogames knows add-ons have never been successful in the history of the industry. (see: 64dd or segacd).

[This message has been edited by rorybbellows (edited 09-19-2001).]

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Like I said before, OBVIOUSLY the Homestation is the drawing board for the Xbox. They took out features that would detract from it's image as a purely GAMING machine. They dont want to sell a glorified PC.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
the homestation project is a reality, whether you want to believe microsoft would be so inconsiderate to xbox owners, as to release a better product so soon after xbox launch or not

omg, the moderator edited my post because i said negative things about microsoft. that's a no-no. hmm thought-control. scary.

[This message has been edited by rorybbellows (edited 09-20-2001).]

·
Registered
52 Posts
>>>>>>>>whether you want to believe microsoft would be so inconsiderate to xbox owners, as to release a better product so soon after xbox launch or not

OK this has gone on long enough, the Homestation was rumored to have a GF2 MX video chipset. This Chipset wouldn't have a prayer of being able to play Xbox games. All Xbox games revolve around hardware programmable Vertex\\Pixel shaders, not a DX7 static 3D pipeline *cough* gamecube *cough*.

You people that post this kind of garbage need to grow up and find something better to do with your time besides hate Microsoft cause it's popular.

gimme a break, it's time to grow up Microsoft is now in the Video game market full speed ahead and they have BY FAR the best hardware for the job. And guess what there’s nothing you or I can do about it, once the advertising begins it over.

Download this Xbox video here http://www.teamxbox.net/gametrailers...lotrailer2.asf for a taste of whats to come.

No one can be told what the Halo is....

·
Registered
382 Posts
I think you will be dissapointed expecting games in high resolution.

Most likely you'll get 480p, that's it. GameCube was released this week and 2 of the 3 games support 480p, no 1080i.

The only way you'll see HD resolutions on consoles is if there is tons of extra video bandwidth. They won't make a game run at 30fps or lower just to please a couple thousand customers.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Halo was chugging at e3. D/L these and let your jaw drop...

http://cubemovies.ign.com/media/spac...rimespace1.mov
http://cubemovies.ign.com/media/prev...loveethnic.mov
http://cubemovies.ign.com/media/prev...oghostsfin.mov
http://cubemovies.ign.com/media/prev...roguebeta8.mov
http://cube.ign.com/previews/17045.html

(these are nintendo gamecube games btw)

they're all realtime... wave race and luigi's mansion are already out in japan. all of the launch titles in japan received gold awards from famitsu, their highest award.

[This message has been edited by rorybbellows (edited 09-24-2001).]

·
Registered
289 Posts
I WILL be buying an X Box because Dreamcast is getting old and the PS2 was a huge dissapointment when I rented one, I have no doubts Microsoft will kick some major arse with their games and a couple 1080i games should be glorious

------------------

Mark
Marks Meager Theater

HTGuide

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
hate to break the news to you but no console in this generation will have even close to the power to run a game at 1920x1080 resolution playably.

[This message has been edited by rorybbellows (edited 09-21-2001).]

1 - 20 of 71 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.