AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else have this problem? During gameplay my sound will cut out for about 2 seconds and then come back, kind of similar to what happens during a DVD layer change on my receiver. I think the sound may be dropping for just a fraction of a second but my receiver drops out of DD mode and then has to switch back. It happens pretty randomly, but often. I played Halo for about half an hour and it must've happened a good 15 times, same with DOA 3. The problem didn't occur using the standard cable on my SDTV (with no receiver).

I called MS and they told me the usual "check your cables" and stuff, then they told me to swap out the HD AV Pack for a different one. Unfortunately the BBuy I bought it at only got 4 of them in, so I need to wait for a new shipment. Hopefully it will be a problem with the pack and not an incompatability of some kind with my receiver due to the way it switches in and out of DD 5.1 mode.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I went to BBuy this morning and as luck would have it they just got two more HD AV Packs in!! I swapped it out and just got done playing DOA 3 for about 20 minutes with no sound dropouts. Looks like it was just a bad HD pack.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
my friend has a problem with 5.1 sound on his x-box when he's playing games. He gets the loud hissing noise, but when playing movies it comes out just fine. He swapped his AV pack, and it still has the same issue. We're pretty sure its his X-box. Hopefully he can get a new one.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My problem has cropped up again, though not nearly as often as it was happening with the old HD AV kit. Looks like I will have to exchange my xbox. I don't really have any need for a memory card but I may have to buy one just so I can keep my saved game of "Halo" when I swap it out :(

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I have heard of other people having the same problems. It seems to be that there are some bad XBOXes out there. Better get a new one.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hmm....mine seems to be working without a hitch. I'd second the recommendation to check the receiver as well.

RV

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I got in a lot of testing time in over the weekend at a friend's LAN party. We hooked it up to his receiver and there were no drop outs.

When I brought it back home I couldn't get ANY sound out of it and my receiver kept switching back and forth between pro logic and PCM non-stop. I decided to switch out the optical cable with a known-good one that I use for my DVD player. It worked fine for the hour or so that I played, but more thorough testing is needed :D it's a rough job but somebody's gotta do it :D

·
Registered
163 Posts
Some Xbox's have a problem with Dolby Digital output for games. DVD's seems to be unaffected. I went through three units before I found one that works. I've seen similar posts on other forums. The phone support person was not aware of the problem. If you have one of these, just exchange it till you find a good one. I wonder how long it will take Microsoft to aknowledge the problem. By the way, "Halo" is a great game that's even better in DD 5.1.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.