AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well my xbox got zapped over the week-end (it still plays games but has long load times) and dvd movies won't play at all doesn't even boot if a dvd is installed...


I have about 10 games (not many I know) mostly just 1st person shooters and driving games, plus its used as my primary DVD player (50" LCD projection set - older but does everything I need HD and 16x9)


EB Games will take it in for trade with may games as I am thinking about switching to PS2 as it has better games (IMHO - i will miss Halo and a couple of other only x titles); plus I like the fact that the PS3 will support Blu-Ray :)



BUT my biggest concern is how well does a PS2 look on a widescreen tv -- my x games look GREAT! Also is it true that the new PS2's have better DVD output?



thanks in advance,

john
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
552 Posts
It's pretty likely that the DVD drive just needs replacing. Do an ebay search for Xbox DVD drive. You can buy one for ~ $25 and install it yourself. It's quite easy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnner1999
BUT my biggest concern is how well does a PS2 look on a widescreen tv -- my x games look GREAT!
> It depends on the game. Some look good and some look bad. www.hdtvarcade.com has a listing of games and their resolution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnner1999
Also is it true that the new PS2's have better DVD output?
> No, the PS2 and Xbox are mediocre DVD players, at best. Almost any $100+ stand alone DVD player will be a big improvement.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,866 Posts
Quote:
I am thinking about switching to PS2 as it has better games (IMHO - i will miss Halo and a couple of other only x titles); plus I like the fact that the PS3 will support Blu-Ray :)
I can understand switching to a PS2 because you like the games better, but because the PS3 will support blueray??
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
13,980 Posts
PS2 games - some look fantastic and some look ok, some look bad, just like xbox games and Gamecube games. All three are close enough, it really comes down to the individual title..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,023 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by briankmonkey
PS2 games - some look fantastic and some look ok, some look bad, just like xbox games and Gamecube games. All three are close enough, it really comes down to the individual title..
I disagree. The majority of ps2 games look horrible. and I am playing them on a high end CRT RPTV and a high end plasma TV, so it can't be my display's fault.


Just take a moment and compare the GTA series on each.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
13,980 Posts
well I'm playing on a 65" HDTV, Hitachi ultravision (65T500), I'm sure there are better sets out there, but the games look great on my set.. Like I said, it really just depends on the software.. Tekken 5 looks amazing, some games don't look so great, same with xbox games and cube games.. I have all of mine hooked up with Component cables as well as being calibrate by DVE.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,987 Posts
Keep your games to play on 360.


If you want something to play until Nov. get a PSP.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,023 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by briankmonkey
well I'm playing on a 65" HDTV, Hitachi ultravision (65T500), I'm sure there are better sets out there, but the games look great on my set.. Like I said, it really just depends on the software.. Tekken 5 looks amazing, some games don't look so great, same with xbox games and cube games.. I have all of mine hooked up with Component cables as well as being calibrate by DVE.
I am going to have to say that we won't agree on this. Looks are very subjective. You may think your component rack looks good (jpg in your sig). I think it looks horrible with all those wires visible.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
13,980 Posts
lol, yup.. that is a very old pick from when I first set it up.. It doesn't look good at all ;)


I haven't had a digital camera for quite over a year and half...


The xbox games that have advantages over the PS2 and cube games in clarity are the 720p games like Xmen legends, Soul Calibur 2(4:3 image), Freedom Fighters.. those games look beyond any of the 480p games in my opinion.. there are also some 720p games that just don' t look as good as many 480p games well like Fifa Street..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,023 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by briankmonkey
lol, yup.. that is a very old pick from when I first set it up.. It doesn't look good at all ;)


I haven't had a digital camera for quite over a year and half...


The xbox games that have advantages over the PS2 and cube games in clarity are the 720p games like Xmen legends, Soul Calibur 2(4:3 image), Freedom Fighters.. those games look beyond any of the 480p games in my opinion.. there are also some 720p games that just don' t look as good as many 480p games well like Fifa Street..
I guess you are ignoring the GTA series, which clearly shows the advantages xbox has over ps2.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
13,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spelosi
I guess you are ignoring the GTA series, which clearly shows the advantages xbox has over ps2.
like I said, it really depends on the software..I do know that there are plenty of games on PS2 that look better than any versions of the GTA on the xbox. .. I haven't played GTA:SA on PS2, just the xbox version on my display.


GTA:SA xbox software is different thant he GTA:SA PS software, it came out much later and they spent a lot of time on it after the PS2 version came out. They are not the same.. I'm not sure what your point is other than the xbox version is superior to the PS2 version, but that really doesn't have any relevance to my statement earlier.


Some software looks great, some looks good, some ok, some bab...this goes for Xbox, PS2, and gamecube.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,023 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by briankmonkey
like I said, it really depends on the software..I do know that there are plenty of games on PS2 that look better than any versions of the GTA on the xbox. .. I haven't played GTA:SA on PS2, just the xbox version on my display.


GTA:SA xbox software is different thant he GTA:SA PS software, it came out much later and they spent a lot of time on it after the PS2 version came out. They are not the same.. I'm not sure what your point is other than the xbox version is superior to the PS2 version, but that really doesn't have any relevance to my statement earlier.


Some software looks great, some looks good, some ok, some bab...this goes for Xbox, PS2, and gamecube.
It has plenty of relevance. Do you honestly believe the xbox version only looks better because it came out later? It looks better because it has the ability to look better. I am not saying the GTA series is the gold standard of xbox gaming, but it's a good game to use as a comparison.


Any game software for any system is not the same software as it is on another system (unless you're using emulation), so that makes no sense at all.


the ps2's 480i isn't really even 480i. We have discussed on this forum many times, it is actaully closer to 240 lines output at 480i. Similar to how they faked 1080i with GT4.


I don't see why it's so hard for you to accept what is clear to almost ever other forum member: Xbox and Gamecube have the best looking graphics right now, and PS2 is a distant 3rd.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
13,980 Posts
Do you honestly believe the xbox version only looks better because it came out later?


no, the xbox hardware is capable of more.. I think most of us know this.. the extra time given allowed them to optimise it for the xbox instead of doing a straight port. Regardless it isn't a great looking game but above average considering the scale of the game. IMO there are plenty of PS2 games that look better than the xbox version of GTA:SA

I don't see why it's so hard for you to accept what is clear to almost ever other forum member: Xbox and Gamecube have the best looking graphics right now, and PS2 is a distant 3rd.


lol, where did I say they did not? re-read my post before you make such ridiculous comments.


I'm not sure what else you are trying to argue.. Like you said what looks good is subjective..Does it bother you so much that I feel that many PS2 games look great on my TV? Are you trying to convince me or others that the PS2 games simply looks bad on my display?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,023 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by briankmonkey
Do you honestly believe the xbox version only looks better because it came out later?


no, the xbox hardware is capable of more.. I think most of us know this.. the extra time given allowed them to optimise it for the xbox instead of doing a straight port. Regardless it isn't a great looking game but above average considering the scale of the game. IMO there are plenty of PS2 games that look better than the xbox version of GTA:SA
Again, I said GTA wasn't the gold standard, but thanks for at least admitting the xbox is the superior piece of hardware.

Quote:
I don't see why it's so hard for you to accept what is clear to almost ever other forum member: Xbox and Gamecube have the best looking graphics right now, and PS2 is a distant 3rd.


lol, where did I say they did not? re-read my post before you make such ridiculous comments.
Quote:
Some software looks great, some looks good, some ok, some bab...this goes for Xbox, PS2, and gamecube.
By saying the above you are implying that they are all on a level playing field. I am saying they are not. Most people here will agree with me.

Quote:
I'm not sure what else you are trying to argue.. Like you said what looks good is subjective..Does it bother you so much that I feel that many PS2 games look great on my TV? Are you trying to convince me or others that the PS2 games simply looks bad on my display?
It doesn't bother me at all that you think ps2 looks good on your display (which is a very nice display, btw). There are many times I wish I could lower my standards to think things look good, but that's just not me.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
13,980 Posts
"Again, I said GTA wasn't the gold standard, but thanks for at least admitting the xbox is the superior piece of hardware."


When at any point was this topic about which hardware being superior? You are the only one that even brought this up...

I buy a console for it's software, all three current systems have great software.



"Some software looks great, some looks good, some ok, some bab...this goes for Xbox, PS2, and gamecube."


"By saying the above you are implying that they are all on a level playing field. I am saying they are not. Most people here will agree with me."


That is a conclusion you came up with on your own. Re-read what I wrote.. Some software looks greats, Some looks good, some ok, this is how I feel about the software of all three consoles.


Is it your opinion that every single xbox game looks better than every single PS2 game? If so that is fine, I would disagree. My point was that some PS2 games look better than some Xbox games, again it really depends on the softare.. Clearly all games aren't equal and clearly all games don't push hardware to its limits. Just because a PS2 game may look better than an xbox game does not automatically mean the PS2 hardware is superior. It's not really hard for most people to understand this simple concept.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
13,980 Posts
"Originally Posted by johnner1999

Also is it true that the new PS2's have better DVD output? "


I believe they do, I haven't tried but I think the last two models support progressive scan.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,644 Posts
Do not assume you will not have issues with the PS2 reading discs , especially the new slim model (v12) . The laser in the slim-line model is awful and many have burned out within a few months (my slim-line is only a year old and already having read issues even though it does not see much use) .


However that being said there is nothing wrong with owning a PS2 and those that do not have missed out on what is possibly the Game of the Year ... "God of War" .


Now would I get rid of an Xbox for a PS2 ... No ( but that is just my opinion ;) ) . Even in a disfunctional state I would trade-in the old Xbox and get a new Xbox (or trade-in towards credit on the 360) .


Best of Luck ,

--- Jason
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top