AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have an Xbox connected to the Component 2 input (i.e. 480p-->1080i) on a Samsung HLN5065W DLP...the two are connected via Monster's Xbox component cables.

After playing games like NFL Fever, NBA Inside Drive, and Halo, I have not been overly impressed (The sports games actually looked better on my $500 Sony Wega).

Do I need to replace my Monster cables with the Xbox HDTV pack?

If so, what do these cables do, that my Monsters don't?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
I have my Xbox on a Panny plasma, but I have played Xbox on a friend's Sammy.

First of all, the quality of the video between the Monster cables and the Xbox HD cables is the same. I prefer the Microsoft kit because it is a sturdier product for half the price. I actually broke some Monster Xbox cables by pulling them out.

As to the video quality of Xbox on the Sammy, it should be nothing short of amazing. Do you have progressive scan and wide screen enabled on your Xbox?

Have you done any of the tweeks to your TV that are explained ad nauseum on this board?

·
Registered
701 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by pfca
After playing games like NFL Fever, NBA Inside Drive, and Halo, I have not been overly impressed (The sports games actually looked better on my $500 Sony Wega).
Not impressed in what way? If you tell us specifically what was wrong maybe we can diagnose it.

-Dylan

·
Registered
916 Posts
Pfca,

I'm going to be anxiously watching this thread, as I'm an Xbox fan, and have been looking into an Samsung HLN model as well, though I have some reservations because of the types of connections.

Q - How do you have the Xbox connected to the Samsung? When I looked at the back of the unit, there are seperate inputs for 480i/480p, and 480p/720p/1080i. Being that the Xbox dashboard can only be displayed in 480i, what do you do? (My issues also revolve around the fact that I would like to keep using my AV reciever as the primary switching mechanism in my system, which would require a 'universal' input that would accept all formats, so I'm also looking at the Sony Grand Wegas.)

Chris is also correct in that you have to go into the Xbox dashboard and enable the various HD formats that your TV supports (however, most games only support 480i/480p currently). The HD formats are only put out over component video (which you didn't specify you were using), so if you are using an S-video or composite connection, you won't get the full effect, regardless of whose cables you are using.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have done the proper configurations on the Xbox Dashboard (i.e. enabling wide screen mode and activating 480p, 720p, and 1080i)

Could you please expand on the tweeks...The only change I make when playing Xbox is setting the picture to "Dynamic" mode.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have the Samsung HLM437 and the XBOX looks amazing. I did do some "tweaks" to the Service Menu. I changed the Gamma to 0 and disabled the black enhancement. There is a thread on the Rear Projections board that explains these tweaks.

You might want to try these and see the results.

What exactly seems to be the problem with the picture quality? Is it the color? The resolution?

·
Registered
9 Posts
i think i would stick with the 1st party cables because if you do HD and Dolby with Monster the cables will cost you over $100

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.