Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

This is my first post on this forum. I've just bought an AE100, and I have an xbox which I am using for games and DVD playback on the AE100.

I read a lot of posts in this forum about transcoders and so on, and I'm very confused.

I want to get the best out of both the xbox and AE100, and I don't want to buy a dedicated progressive scan DVD player yet.

I hear that a transcoder will improve xbox gaming on the AE100, but will it also improve xbox DVD playback given that the xbox is not progressive scan?

If a transcoder is only going to improve gaming, and not DVD playback, then I don't think it's worth it, but if it improves both, then great.

Also I like the sound of the viewsonic VB50 because it has a TV tuner, but is the a proper transcoder and will it improve the image?

I've also read about a German Xbox transcoder, but after reading the details on the link provided, it sounds like it doesn't support PAL in widescreen (I'm in the UK and my xbox is PAL). So if this is the case, how would it effect DVD playback through the xbox?

I've also read about the AA transcoder. It sounds rather expensive, but would this improve both games and DVD playback on the xbox and allow both to run in widescreen on the AE100?

Any help will be much appreciated. I'm new to HT and somewhat confused...

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
The transcoder is ONLY for conversion of Progressive sources. As such it will work fine for Xbox GAMES that are output in 480P. However, it will not work for 480i sources.

If you want to get something that handles 480i then just go for an iScan V2.

As for the VB50, it is not a transcoder. Remember, a transcoder is for conversion of COMPONENT signal to RGB signal. The VB50 has no component inputs. It is a fairly poor line doubler compared to an iScan.

I would look at the iScan---not that I have one, mind you-- I've got an RP56 + AA transcoder. I don't have an Xbox, but will in a few months. I already had a RP56 prog.Scan DVD player. The AA transcoder will give the best picture with the AE100 with both 480P sources. But if I had to do it over again, I'd spring for an iScan and let it do the 480i->480p conversion for all sources.

- JP

·
Registered
12 Posts
I use the HD pack (component) to connect my xbox to my ae100. The picture is great. With this solutuion you will get 480P from games that support 480P. PAL games do not support 480P, only NTSC games.

You will have to buy the enigmah modchip ( www.enigmah.com ) to use NTSC (region1) games. With this modcip you can also change you xbox from PAL-NTSC with a bootcd.

Regards

Jens

·
Registered
243 Posts
I've found that the DVD playback on the XBOX with the AE100 is sub par.

If you tell the XBOX you support 720 (in the dashboard) you will have very strong vertical green bands on the image.

Turning 720 off, the bands will almost disappear but not completely.

My 4 year old Panasonic player yields better results.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
The DVD playback for all the game consoles is notoriously crappy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.