AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just placed my order for the Grand Wega 42" LCD HDTV Rear Projection TV. I should get it sometime next week. I know that people are playing Xbox games without any issues, my question is if I can still use my Xbox to play DVDs on it, or do I need a different type of DVD player?

Thanks,

McG.

·
Registered
233 Posts
what he said, just as good, but as a DVD player xbox is interlaced PQ, not proggresive, only for game is it proggresive

·
Registered
959 Posts
Progressive scan is over-rated, IMO. And, I have a $1200 DVD Player.

IMO, a Mintek DVD-P, looks better than the Xbox. The Mintek can be bought for under $60 now at any BB. I have the first gen Xbox, so that may make a difference in terms of PQ.

EDIT: To be fair, I was using an S-Video Cable with the Mintek, and only the Monster Composite with the Xbox. That's probably most of the difference noticed.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I was hoping the Xbox would be a decent DVD player, but was disappointed. Using Monster S-Video, it bleeds reds, has motion artifacts when panning, and doesn't do blacker than black. Using Monster component into an HLN567w, its colors seemed too soft, lacked picture detail, and still doesn't do btb. Even compared pq to a ni $20 Apex using cheap component and cheap S-Video cable, the 'Box still looked bad.

Also, I am almost certain the Xbox is doing some DD sound compression, didn't notice it before until I plugged in the $20 Apex and thought "Wow DD actually sounds pretty good!".

To top it off, depending on the brand of CD drive in your Xbox, you'll have varying degrees of success playing less than perfectly clean disks.

I'm now using a progressive scan Sony with good components and things look great...as long as the Sony's sending out an interlaced signal.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by baronmon
How good is the quality of the xbox as a dvd player? I can't seem to find any type of review on it as a DVD player; just a game machine.
The xbox works fine as a decent DVD player. But as mentioned, I noticed very pixelated images when there is a lot of bright red or green. For instance, I've watched Veggie Tales with my nieces and nephews and when Bob (a bright red tomato) is show, he can be very pixelated around the edges. This does not occur with a standard DVD player. If you want a great picture, then buy a dedicated DVD player, if you want a decent DVD player, then the xbox will work fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.