AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to get a system to see how good 720P games look on my Samsung DLP TV but I'll have virtually no time to use it. I don't have high speed access at home so internet gaming won't be needed and I don't need it to play DVD's for me. I just want great PQ on my set and maybe a good cordless controller. My question to you folks is.....what do I need to buy and where is the best place to buy it?

Is the Xbox the best for kick ass HD PQ?

Besides the console and HD pack what do I need?

What are the best games?

So please summarize what should my shopping list include?

Any other tips you have would be much appreciated. Since I don't plan to use this much (that may change if this looks good) I can't really dedicate the time to research these game consoles and I'm simply looking for you guys to share your wealth of knowledge with me to bring me up to speed on what's hot and what's not in this area. All your help is much appreciated.

PS - Is a 2nd gen Xbox due out anytime soon? Any of the competition coming out with something better?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Only the Xbox has games that output at 720p. PS2 and Gamecube do 480p at best. Also, most Xbox games are dolby digital.

To output 720p on the xbox you need the console (which includes a controller and composite A/V cables), the HD A/V pack, and a game that does 720p (e.g. NBA2K3, WSB2K3, THPS4, Dragon's Lair 3D). Since you have a Sammy, you will need to hook your xbox up intially plugged into either the aux video input or component 1 so you can set your settings. Once done you can hook it up to Comp 2 or 3. The Xbox dashboard doesn't display in 480p. It's not a big deal, though.

The XBox looks great on the DLP. Tao Feng (a fighting game) looks beautiful in just 480p. Halo is amazingly fun.

Of the 720p games, the basketball, baseball, and skateboarding games are all considered the best of their respective genres. Choose which you think you would like best.

Oh, and no new consoles are expected until late 2005.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Xbox offers the best graphics IMHO. However, very few games actually support 720p. 480p looks pretty good.

Check this site out...

http://www.hdtvarcade.com/xboxlist.htm

Visually stunning and fun games in a couple different genres include...

Halo

Enclave

World Series Baseball 2K3 (incredible in 720p)

Ty the Tasmanian Tiger

Dead Or Alive 3

Quantum Redshift

Azurik

MechAssault

Panzer Dragon Orta

Brute Force (due out soon) may be the next Halo.

I've heard the Xbox may drop to $150. It's a great value at $200.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
If you are looking for the absolute best PQ, an HTPC is still champ. Among the consoles, the xBox does stand out. The knock on the xBox is a lack of quality games, but if you have limited time, there is certainlly enough good games for you.

One thing to consider is a used system. Either eBay or your local games store should have one. If you aren't going to get to play much, you might as well save some money.

As for games, as others have suggested, we can tune suggestions better if you list the genres you like. In any case, here are two that do stand out in the eye candy category:

DOA Extreme Vollyball: Babes in bikinis play a little volleyball, then go shop for presents for each other.

Panzer Dragoon: Fly through the air and blast stuff. Very cool.

·
Registered
907 Posts
If you aren't going to play much I suggest games with a quick learning curve. Difficult games require a little investment of time to enjoy them. If you get frustrated with a game it will collect dust. My suggestions based on what I "think" you want for the Xbox..

Fighting games.

These have excellent graphics & are a blast with one or two players

1-Tao Feng

2. Dead Or Alive3

Sports

Any of the new Baseball games.

They are easier to pick up & play as opposed to Football, Basketball & Hockey

Splashdown

Race on Sea-Doo watercraft. Great game for visitors who haven't played many video games. I still play it occasionally. :D

As far as a cordless controller goes, I still don't think that there is one worth buying yet.

·
Registered
923 Posts
And the only worthy cordless controller is the Logitech. You'll just be wasting your money if you try to save $10-$20 on the other cheaper models (they aren't good as pads to start with, not even considering the wireless performance), so don't bother. I've seen it as low as $60 at a local buy-sell-trade chain, which puts it at the same price as one of the lesser pads, so shop around and you should be very happy. If its still too much, I'd highly suggest just putting up with a standard S controller and possibly and extension cable before wasting money on one of the other wireless controllers.

Enjoy.

Kensai

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hey My Boi Ken... sup... LOL

Anywayz..

I had just recieved my GWII, 4/12 So I popped in Tony Hawk 4 in 720p!

& Never In My life did I see such a crystal clear game! No jaggies, no notha! I mean this is what games should be like!!! It was Amazing!!

·
Premium Member
4,292 Posts
I read that Sony is releasing a new version of the PS2 that can output progressive scan for DVDs as well. Something to consider if you plan to use the system as a DVD player.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Kensai
And the only worthy cordless controller is the Logitech. You'll just be wasting your money if you try to save $10-$20 on the other cheaper models (they aren't good as pads to start with, not even considering the wireless performance), so don't bother.

Enjoy.

Kensai
I would throw one other controller into that mix. The MadCatz Lynx Wireless controller is pretty impressive in it's own right. That's the one I use and it's muzh MUCH better than their older 900mhz stuff. I've been nothing but happy with it.

·
Registered
16,916 Posts
another vote for the Lynx wireless , I had the Logitech first and the delay killed it for me so I returned it and tried the Lynx [ been using it ever since ] .

--- If you want the Best combination of gaming , graphics and sound then get the Xbox . If you want just gaming then get a PS2 as it has the biggest selection of games . If you want better graphics than the PS2 and The Best wireless controller on the Planet then get the GameCube [ some of the best Exclusive games but a limited selection of games - fewer than the Xbox and PS2 ] .

--- Jason

·
Registered
778 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DaGamePimp
another vote for the Lynx wireless , I had the Logitech first and the delay killed it for me so I returned it and tried the Lynx [ been using it ever since ] .

--- Jason
Hey Jason, I thought in that other thread you said the Pelican Eclipse was the best wireless controller? I picked one up for $30 at GameCrazy (Hollywood Video). It's the only xbox controller I've ever used, so I don't have anything to compare to, but it's been fine so far. No complaints, except that it's kinda ugly (Lime green trim).

Matt

Edit: Found that thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hlight=pelican

·
Registered
16,916 Posts
Matt ,

-- well I have to say that the Pelican broke [ and not from abuse ] , it just stopped working :( . This pretty much has left a bad taste for that controller , of course YMMV [ and I hope it does as mine was not very old ] .

--- Jason

·
Registered
778 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DaGamePimp
it just stopped working
You gotta replace the batteries, silly! :p

Not so jokingly, though, I once hit the switch on the controller from A -> B, it took me a litte while to figure out why it wasn't working.

Thanks for the update,

Matt

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.