AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xbox FAQ Updated, Includes HD Specs...

315 views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  Rick Raymo 
Quote:
At the E3 show, Sony was demonstrating HDTV AV kit for PlayStation 2. It's due this year, as well as the UNIX kit (hard disk, ethernet/modem, keyboard, mouse, VGA out).
Any more info on this HDTV kit? Will it be used to play games at progressive output or used for DVD playback? What connectors?

Thanks - If this pans out, I just might have reason to keep my PS2.

I, as well, am eagerly awaiting the Xbox. My PS2 has been an utter dissappointment. I've had it since Christmas and it is rarely played.

While some of the PS2 games are quite good and really show the power that the unit has, they are CRIPPLED by the poor display. I use a RCA MM36100 as my video game monitor. After playing DC games in VGA on this unit, I can barely bring myself back to NTSC in all it's interlace glory (ugh!). However, what really irks me is the video game maker that insists on pushing the 60fps garbage. To the best of my knowledge, you CANNOT achieve 60 frames per second on NTSC. Rather, they treat each of the 60 fields as a frame and ultimately decrease the resolution from 480 to 240. Big mistake. At 36" and higher, this looks awful...not to mention the flicker.

My mindset right now is that if the power of the Xbox is only just as good as the PS2, the PS2 is going to be blown away. Why? The progressive display of the Xbox will look fantastic. Even though the DC was less powerfull than the PS2, the DC via VGA still looks massively superior to the PS2. Either Sony needs to offer a VGA adapter like the DC (not just a line doubler), or I need to sell my PS2.

I can only imagine playing a game in true HDTV resolution. I'd move the Xbox to my Mitsubishi WS55807 in a heartbeat! Bring on the Xbox.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.