Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks:

Can you tell me how I could best connect an xBox to my Marquee??

I'm currently enjoying my Marquee 8500 connected to a HTPC by RGBHV cable. The video card on the HTPC is modded with clarity circuit to ouptut RGBHV. The video card also has a second output - a VGA, and I have a VGA/DVI adaptor to output DVI. Also, my PC has a Fusion II HDTV card, so I can input SVideo to the PC.

Is there a special cable I can get that would connect the XBox to the SVideo input on the HTPC (would be convenient, if not the best quality, as I could leave things connected, and get up and running with minimum hassle), or is there a cable I could use to connect the xBox directly to the Marquee (which only has one input - the RGBHV, so I guess I'd have to swap out cables moving from DVD to xbox).

Please advise. I can't think of the right solution, as the Xbox seems to use strange cabling. Also, while there seems to be some AV cable upgrade for the xbox - it seems to be an RGB upgrade - so then would I need an RGB/RGBHV adaptor or something to get that working? Overall, I'm looking for the minimum setup hassle, coupled with maximum picture quality (if that's possible). Thanks in advance for any and all advice!!!

John (CRT Newbie).

·
Registered
114 Posts
There is a svideo cable for the xbox, you gan get one from amazon, not sure of the quality though here is a link:
Svideo cable--Xbox Not too sure about the quality though, I don't have a XBox. This was the only thing I coould find that didn't cost more than the Xbox ;)

Shawn

·
Registered
582 Posts
I would get the HDTV kit for the xbox and hook it directly into your marquee.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys for the input. So, if I were to get the x2vga kit, I guess I would also need to get a VGA/RGBHV cable then, or an RGB/RGBHV cable to connect the x2vga to the Marquee?? My Marquee only has an RGBHV input, and right now my cable from HTPC to Marquee is RGBHV/RGBHV (via clarity circuit of PC).

To answer an earlier question, I don't have the xbox yet - I'm just planning all I'll have to purchase to get up and running.

Thanks in advance for input on the cable choice.

John.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I have a Marquee 8500 and an Xbox. I use a Focus Enhancements CS-HD video processor to scale 480i and 480p up to 720p. I have the HDTV pack for the Xbox that outputs component video, which is what the CS-HD takes as inputs. However, the CS-HD has separate inputs for 480i and 480p, so I had to split the component video signal into 2 to feed both inputs on the CS-HD.

This works great for the dashboard (480i) and most games (480p). For the native 720p and 1080i games, I take a 3rd split of the Xbox's output (using a component video splitter), and run it through a component video -> VGA transcoder. This VGA signal goes into the VGA pass through on my CS-HD so the projector gets the native 720p and 1080i output from the Xbox.

It was a bit tricky to figure that out for my situation, but it works great. To make usage easy, I just programmed my Pronto with 3 different Xbox buttons (dashboard, 480p, 720p/1080i) to tell the CS-HD which input to select based on what I'm doing with the Xbox.

Regarding your setup, I would try to scale the 480i/480p signals up to 720p, which is the sweet spot for the 8500. The 480i/p signals just won't look as good.

If you don't mind the 480i/p signals going to your 8500, then the easiest solution seems to be to get the Xbox VGA pack (x2vga) and an RGBVH switcher.

-Carl

·
Registered
80 Posts
Although it would not look as good as the aformentioned suggestions, you could by the AV pack for $16 which has svideo out, and input that to the Fusion card. I don't know if dscaler supports the Fusion cards (I did not see it on the list of supported cards), but you could possibly scale it from there if it does.

Cheers,

Bill Dempsey

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the input. Mmm, I don't think I want to fork out for a new scaler - just seems too expensive an option for just the xbox (as I already have scaling through the PC). So, I guess I could try the Svideo option for starters, and then maybe upgrade to the switchbox & RGBHV cabling if I get the itch later (assuming that would be better - although, if I'm bypassing the PC altogether with the switchbox option, I may be missing out on scaling benefit of the PC). Anyway, I think I have a handle now on how to get up and running. Thanks,

John.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.