AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a chose between the microsoft HD pack that come wit component cables for 20$. Or, I can get the MOnster cables ( 400x ) that connect directly to the XBox and they are 65$. Let me know on what you would do.

thanks

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Unless I'm missing something, You'll need the AV Pack either way. The "AV Pack" consists of a set of component and audio outputs on a little box that has a computer style cord that will plug into the XBox. I've been getting some of the accessories as they have been coming into stock, and mine came yesterday. The component cables themselves look like your standard low-grade fare, not as heavy duty as the ones that came with my Mitsu HD-5, and nowhere near Monster quality. But like I said, unless I'm missing some kind of Monster/XBox joint product, you'll still need the AV pack for the plug that provides the HD outputs.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Hmm, that AV Pack sure sounds a lot like the RCA HD transcoder that I have connected to my DTC-100. Could the Microsoft AV Pack be a cheaper solution for DTC-100 applications? Alternatively, if you were to connect a PC, with the proper HD settings, to the MS AV Pack, and then to an HDTV via Component, would you see anything?

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
No idea... It's not a pin connector, it's got a plactic widget in the middle with 12 contacts on each side of it. About 1 1/4"...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ifyou look at the MONSTER game cables 400x it directly plugs into the XBOX. Its made for theXBOX. now give me your thoughts.. go to compusa.com and search for monste cables 400x or go under XBOX hardware

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Does that monster cable have setup for Coax audio as well? I havent seen the quality on the ones microsoft is shipping out so I can't comment on which to buy, but if the monster version doesn't have Coax audion then I would say forget it.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Buy the Monster Cable, eliminate extra cabling, and save some money.

I saw another post where a guy was going to buy the HD pack and then some very expensive component cables. I can't see the value in that because you would have to wonder what the quality of the connections are on the $19.99 HD pack.

As a $350 gaming system, I can't imagine that the XBOX video output would rival a $1,000+ stand alone DVD player. \\

Plus, the Monster Cable 400x has the same green/black colors as the XBOX.

·
Registered
447 Posts
The Monster gaming cables for the XBox appear to have cool looking green braiding on the outside...

-- Robert

·
Registered
393 Posts
In looking at the monster cable adapter and the xbox HD adapter it appears as though the xbox one has six rca type connectors. Three for component, one for coaxial and two for analog sound. The monster cable adapter has five cables/connectors. Three for component and two for analog sound. So, if I'm right, the xbox adapter would get you 5.1 sound whereas the monster adapter would not. It just appears that way from the pictures and the descriptions given. I guess we'll find out for sure next week.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I'm holding it in my hand right now, and the above pictured "High Definition Pack" has the 3 component, 2 audio, and one digital audio (optical). Good question about the monster 400x audio. Does it have create an optical out?

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Also, I can definitively state that there are component+audio cables (5 clipped together) that come with it. As I stated above, the cables don't appear to be that great. Minimal if any shielding. Cable quality itself is a no contest. I'm just curiious if you lose the digital audio capability with the Monster set up.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Here is an excerpt from the Monster Cable website about their gamelink 400-X component cable for the X-box...

"GameLink is also equipped with a digital audio output jack, it's easy to upgrade to Dolby Digital Surround Sound. LighWaveâ„¢ 100X(sold separately), Monster's highest performance fiber optic audio hookup, completes the upgrade to a pure digital audio connection"

So it looks like it has a jack on it somewhere for a digital optical cable.

Vodo

·
Registered
25 Posts
Actually you don't need the HD pack if you use the Monster X Link 400 cable. You can directly hook up the XBox to your HDTV by using one of these cables. Also Monster's design is pretty ingenious when it comes to connecting the digital audio. There is a mini jack at the termination near the console and a small dongle attaches to this mini jack which in turn hooks up to an optical digital (Toslink) cable. See the picture here .

Also check out this article for a more detailed explanation.

·
Registered
393 Posts
So it looks like you have to buy the monster x link 400 and the x link 100 for component video and digital sound capability. This is getting kind of expensive. $ 60 bucks for the 400 and $ 35 for the 100.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.