Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is from IGN.com

To help out your friend, Dexter, yes computers and videogames can and will cause burn-in on projection ( lens burn) and plasma (the phosphor elements have a slight "memory") TVs. You're right, relative to Pac-man, Donkey Kong, and Q-bert, today's games are not as visually static. However, the do have VERY static elements, like life gauges, radars, speedometers, etc. Even timers can be static. A game may display " TIME X:XX". The numbers will move but the word "TIME" is static. It seems trivial now, but it won't be when you are staring at it during your next DVD movie. Direct view TVs are the only choice for gamers ( their clarity and faithful reproduction of the image are superior anyway). But if you just have to have a huge screen, spring for a plasma. Projection will burn in your games; produce darker, inaccurate pictures; and be technologically archaic in 10-15 years ( when plasmas are affordable and don't produce such rediculous artifacts).

Ok so why the heck does the Xbox support HDTV when it will f-up your TV?

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Well, you can always get a HD-ready direct view set for your X-Box. Also, I plan to get one for use with my RPTV, as I'm sure many here will. I just will avoid buying games with constant location gauges on the screen.

------------------

Abdul
Philips 60PP9601, join the Philips_HDTV discussion group

Dish 5000 + HDTV Modulator, DirecTV + 128 hour SVR-2000 TiVo

HTPC: Duron 750, K7 Master, Radeon LE, AccessDTV, Cybermail, Audiophile

Kenwood VR-407 receiver & subwoofer, nOrh 4.0 marble center speaker
s>

·
Registered
393 Posts
Ok, I dont have every answer, but I do have some:

1. It's your choice

2. Not all games have constant pictures in one area

3. Some HDTVs are not even projection (Sony Wega)

4. I believe that X-Box can connect (or will have an adapter) to your comp. monitor, but I am not positive.

5. Microsoft is 'preparing' for tomorrow in a sense.

Now I have heard many stories of people playing various games on their projection TV and not have any problems. I am still deciding on the HDTV I am going to get and I dought that I will hook my PlayStation 2 up to it unless I am sure that there is no constant picture in a certain area (and even then I will be careful).

I hope that answered some of your questions.

·
Registered
594 Posts
It will not screw up your TV if you are sensible about it. The best protection is to have your set professionaly calibrated and not in torch mode with respect to the contrast and brightness setting. Also don't plan on playing any games for more than 6 or so hours in a row and don't leave agame displayed on your screen unless you are actually playing it. I would be surprised if the X-box also didn't come with some kind of screen saver.

Kevin C. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

Stop DFAST.

Boycott JVC!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"Well, you can always get a HD-ready direct view set for your X-Box."

What is an HD-ready direct view? What does it do and how much does it cost?

·
Registered
393 Posts
A direct-view HDTV set is a set like 'average TVs' that can display HDTV. It is not projection and they can come in a size as large as 36" I believe. They cost as much as $3000.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
Plasma & CRT can get burn in. DLP, D-ILA, LCD can not.

------------------

"Better living thru modern, expensive electronics devices"

tm

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.