AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was thinking about this, my dvd player is kinda old and crappy, but i have the Xbox High def pack and i'm using a 1031Q with a sony VPR-722 wired controller.. any reason why i shouldnt just stick to this combo??

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Unfortunately the Xbox still outputs 480i for dvd playback even with the Hi-def pack. To get progressive output you need to mod your xbox with a modchip or TSOP flash and then it can do 480p with a software alteration. The other problem is your 1031 needs a VGA source but the Hi-def pack is of course component. So now you still need a transcoder ($60-200). If your xbox is older it can probably be flashed with one of the modified VGA bios's and then you just need to make a cable with the right pinouts. I guess it really depends how much fiddling you're willing to do with your xbox :)

·
Registered
16,916 Posts
Ma171aC ,

--- Even getting the X2VGA box without modding your Xbox would be much improved over S-Video . However if you modded your Xbox then you could enable Progressive DVD playback [ as stated above ] . Just remember if you go with an HD-pack/X2VGA with the 1031Q you need to make sure that the only Video resolution settings enabled are 480p and 1080i [ do not enable 720p as this can damage the 1031Q if you happen to play a 720p capable game ] .

---- Best of Luck ,

----- Jason

**** I should have added that you will not get anything more than 480i with the X2VGA for DVD playback unless you mod your Xbox ;) ****

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the VPR-722 wired remote has the correct inputs i believe.. doesn't it?

·
Registered
16,916 Posts
If it is a normal 722 then it should have an RGB input but not if it is the 722s .

--- The S-Video model [722s] does not have RGB input .

---- Jason

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
You can actually load an RGB bios onto your (modified) xbox, then a small modification to the high def pack and you have RGB progressive out of the xbox at 480P

·
Registered
5,876 Posts
Could some one post or PM me a link to learn more about XBox mod and firmware update?

·
Registered
322 Posts
One caution about modding the Xbox. I've read that the XBox Live service will not let a modded Xbox connect, so f you play Live, do some research regarding this.

-Carl

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Anyone know a retailer in Canada that sells the X2vga or vd-z3? I'm definitely not ordering directly from x2vga (China).

·
Registered
16,916 Posts
Jesse ,

-- the X2VGA is currently only available direct :( .

--- Jason

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.