AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i currently have an xbox360 and dsl internet hooked up to it. it lags so bad that it makes it not playable. my speed is 768/128 which i know if slow but i dont think i should be lagging the way i am. right now there is the modem with a wireless router and another wireless router connected to the first router and about 4 computers hooked up to it and the xbox. is there some sort of setting i can change in my router options or something? or am i just screwed due to all the splitting and such? im pretty much a newb when it comes to networking as my friend hooked it all up and changed a few things to make it all work. the routers a wrt54g. TIA for the help
 

· Registered
Joined
·
4,049 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananamane /forum/post/15418755


i currently have an xbox360 and dsl internet hooked up to it. it lags so bad that it makes it not playable. my speed is 768/128 which i know if slow but i dont think i should be lagging the way i am. right now there is the modem with a wireless router and another wireless router connected to the first router and about 4 computers hooked up to it and the xbox. is there some sort of setting i can change in my router options or something? or am i just screwed due to all the splitting and such? im pretty much a newb when it comes to networking as my friend hooked it all up and changed a few things to make it all work. the routers a wrt54g. TIA for the help

768/128 is very slow. Your upload speed is likely what is causing the lag. I would call your ISP and if they don't address it then I would change your ISP. Obvious it gets worse if someone else using using another comp while you are playing.


my speed is 24801/964
 

· Registered
Joined
·
881 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancouver /forum/post/15418950


768/128 is very slow. Your upload speed is likely what is causing the lag. I would call your ISP and if they don't address it then I would change your ISP. Obvious it gets worse if someone else using using another comp while you are playing.


my speed is 24801/964

My broadband is so fast that it downloads what I want before I even think about it.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,546 Posts
Xbox Live isn't nice AT ALL to connections as slow as yours. Your only real call is to get more speed. Even if you do smooth it out more, you will be the obvious weak link in games that display connection speeds and might get kicked out of some lobbies for it.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well i figured it had alot to do with my speed. but where i live i guess there is only one way cable or something like that and my upload speed cant get any higher.


would the two different routers have alot to do with it too or is it mostly the dsl speed. i checked before and alot of the things i checked werent available to me.




vancouver, what do u pay for speeds like that and thru what company?
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,329 Posts
I would install DD-WRT on your wrt54g (if it is a supported version). The Quality of Service feature in DD-WRT works better than the stock one. With QoS, you can arrange to have traffic to and from the 360 have the highest priority inside the network. It should help some. Please google DD-WRT for details.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
4,049 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananamane /forum/post/15421247


well i figured it had alot to do with my speed. but where i live i guess there is only one way cable or something like that and my upload speed cant get any higher.


would the two different routers have alot to do with it too or is it mostly the dsl speed. i checked before and alot of the things i checked werent available to me.




vancouver, what do u pay for speeds like that and thru what company?

i think its an extra $10 per month for the extra speed. Mind you if I didnt pay it my speed would be half where it is...which is still pretty good.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so theres not really any thing i can do to improve my lag? i did the port forwarding and enables DMZ. is this something i should do on both the routers settings or just one? and if one which one? would getting a different router help? i really want to play but the lag makes it almost not playable ( when i see somebody they run in place on my screen and then im dead ) most of the time.



theres nothing faster i can get in my area i checked all places.



routers are linksys wrt54g hooked up to a linksys wrt54gs
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top