Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used the XBox MC Extender?

How is the response time? Painfully slow?

Does the main MCE computer become slow b'cos of remote connection from XBox?

Does the main MCE computer become worse if you are watching video from the MCE computer as well as from XBox?

Since I have to insert the DVD in the XBox to use the MC functionality, can I make a backup of the DVD so I can fall back on the backup incase the original goes bad due to repeated playing?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bump...

Did anyone use the XBox setup via MCE?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m5a5l3m
Has anyone used the XBox MC Extender?

Does the main MCE computer become slow b'cos of remote connection from XBox?

Does the main MCE computer become worse if you are watching video from the MCE computer as well as from XBox?

Since I have to insert the DVD in the XBox to use the MC functionality, can I make a backup of the DVD so I can fall back on the backup incase the original goes bad due to repeated playing?
I set up a very low-end MCE/Xbox extender system this weekend. Note that this was primarily an experiment/proof-of-concept before I sink any significant money into a larger-scale system for my work-in-process HT:

I configured a basically decommisioned 1.7GHz Celeron as a dedicated MCE DVR/media server. This machine is stationed in the basement and contains two PVR-150 analog tuner cards. I'm using an Xbox w/the MCE Extender software/remote to drive my primary TV.

To answer your questions.. the response time on the Xbox (surprisingly) isn't that bad. High-end set top boxes perform better, but this is as snappy as most 'average' devices that I've used.

Since it is old/low-end, my MCE 'server' isn't suitable for concurrent use as a desktop machine... so I can't really comment on concurrent usability. The machine is working pretty hard just to service the single Xbox extender. I think the extender docs recommend a 2.8GHz machine w/512MB RAM minimum for servicing one extender.

That said, I'm quite pleased with the results of the experiment. I intend to build a nicer MCE machine to service my HT and will continue to use the Xbox extender (and eventually an Xbox 360) for an additional TV's elsewhere in the house. The PVR-150 cards are producing the clearest analog cable image I've ever seen; so I'm hoping these will get me by until some kind of of HD satellite or cablecard PC module becomes available. (Who knows when that will be... :( )

I tried simply copying the Xbox DVD - hoping that MS was kind enough to avoid the protection and allow copying (knowing that this would be a highly used 'game' disc). Unfortuantely, the copy didn't work. There might be some way around this, but my Xbox isn't hacked - so I don't think I have many options.

My only disappointments are related to the media types display(able) on the extender. I knew this going in.. but I cannot stream DVD files directly to the Xbox and I'm even having trouble displaying 16:9 .WMV (!) home videos correctly.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So you can't view DVDs stored on the MCE hard-drive via XBox?

I thought you can...

·
Registered
450 Posts
Your best bet for now is to soft-mod your XBox. This allows you to copy the extender DVD to your hard drive. Then you can also install XBMC (xbox media center), which will allow you to watch dvix,xvid,dvd's,etc. XBMC also allows you to shut down the Xbox from the remote.

This is the setup I have in my bedroom. Love it!

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rob3
Your best bet for now is to soft-mod your XBox. This allows you to copy the extender DVD to your hard drive. Then you can also install XBMC (xbox media center), which will allow you to watch dvix,xvid,dvd's,etc. XBMC also allows you to shut down the Xbox from the remote.

This is the setup I have in my bedroom. Love it!
Can you throw more light on the XBMC stuff? Is that a Microsoft software? Where do you get it?

Also, when you say it allows you to watch dvix, dvd's etc, do you mean to say from my main MCE computer?

I want to store everything in one location (MCE computer) and then watch it using my XBox.

·
Registered
450 Posts
XBMC is a Media Center type application that has been around for awhile. Read about it here:
http://www.xboxmediacenter.com/

and here:
http://www.xboxscene.com/

After modding your Xbox, you will have a new dashboard the Xbox boots into. From there you can launch the Xbox dash, XBMC, Media Center Extender, and any other programs you have installed. Spend some time on Xboxscene. I knew NOTHING of Xbox modding, and after spending time reading up on that site was able to succesfully mod mine. I used a mod chip, but now I hear you can soft-mod them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.