AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just want to thank Slack from here for providing critical information regarding the XBOX Media Player (and the rest) when I was thinking about it.

My modified XBOX showed up yesterday and today I am in Media Heaven.

I have all my music stored on the XBOX with various playlists and it also is playing all sorts of automatically updated Shoutcast stations thanks to ShoutScraper. In addition I can stream just about anything I want to the XBOX if I ever get the desire to do that. I tried it out for now and it works great.

I also get an added benefit of having the ability to copy all my XBOX games to the local hard drive which has several major benefits. First, I have a 9 year-old who has destroyed several games and at $50 a shot, that gets expensive. Second, I don't need to get up and load various discs. The games are there so I just move from one game to the next. Third, they play and load faster.

I also get full TV interfacing including a nice Visualization during music playback.

In a few days I'll be selling my 400 CD changer on eBay! It was a workhorse but finally, after a year of searching I have a solution which will carry me until the next really solid solution comes along.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Tell me about the process.

Did you get your modded Xbox back with the media player installer or did you have to do that yourself?

Where did you get your unit modded?

How much did it cost?

How will you install new updates as they come out?

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I'm not sure how loud your Xbox is, but mine is relatively quiet. I have a Version 1 unit. Xbox Media Center can be configured to spin down the hard drive after a few minutes, but even when the hard drive is spinning, it's not terribly loud. I genereally can't hear it even if I listen for it..

As for modding, if you have ever used linux and know which end of a soldering iron is hot, you can mod your Xbox yourself. Check out www.xbox-scene.net/ for more info. If you can't do it yourself, I would reccomend finding a computer-saavy friend who can solider to do it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Agrajag,

Any further impressions? I'm in the same predicament as you and for $499 this could work for me.

I'm a little concerned because I'm by no means tech-savvy enough to keep up with the types on xbox-scene.net. This technology is by no means mature.

How does the interface work for selecting your music? With a 160 GB HD i can store all of my CD's, but if the interface isn't wife-friendly it'll all be for naught.

I'm thinking of going with Tivo HMO for now, just to see if the next generation of consoles have this integrated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
115 Posts
I think I need a mentor on this. I am comfortable with computers but I decided to send out to have my Xbox modded.

I need someone to answer the questions that xbox-scene tells you not to ask( Even though everything on the site almost assumes you know the answer.)

If you can help me get some of the basic questions answered like where do I get the compiled versions of xbmp, i would appreciated it. Please send an email [email protected] or pm me

·
Registered
778 Posts
Agrajag - So shoutscraper is working for you?

Last I heard shoutcast had made changes that rendered shoutscraper useless.

Thanks,

Matt

·
Registered
115 Posts
I checked it out and this option is not for casual users. If you are not comfortable with upgrading your own computer, FTP, XML, and digging through lots of forums to get info. This option is not for you.

For those who are comfortable, this is a great solution, with lots to look forward to.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.