AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have been looking into using xbox as a HTPC with xbox media player. What I would like to do is use the xbox to play media files off my HTPC via lan. From what I have read this can be done. My questions for you are:

1) Do you need to anything besides the mod chip? usb keyboard, mouse? I have the dvd remote.

2) Where do you get you mod chip and how much do they cost?

3) Where can I find the xbox media player files that I can use?

4) How do I get xbox media player on the xbox?

I read the faq and manuals at xboxmediaplayer.de and am still confused. I am not an idoit when it comes to computers. I just need some direction.

Thanks

Matt

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Matt,

xbox-scene is the best place to start learning about modding you xbox. to answer your questions:

1. you don't need a keyboard or mouse for xbmp (not sure it even supports them). xbmp can use the dvd remote, but it isn't necessary.

2. xbox-scene has links at the top to buy mod chips. I have a matrix, which cost ~$65. there are cheaper ones available, or you can reprogram your on board flash for free.

3. efnet #xbins

4. ftp it to the hard drive or burn it to a cdrw.

Good luck!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Don't you need the original version of the Xbox which is no longer made? If you have any interest in getting into online gaming with Xbox Live, M$ will ban your Xbox's serial # if you get online with the mod chip enabled. If you get an older used Xbox from someplace, it may be already banned from Xbox Live.

I think the whole interest in modding the Xbox just to do it is silly. It's like we can all do the multimedia stuff with our PC's already. A remote and a repeater and a long run of TV cable is cheaper than going through the hassle of buying the xbox, buying the nefarious mod chip, making sure not to mess up the soldering, buying a router and more cable, buying a new hard drive, hacking the hard drive, forridging around for the software, etc. Besides, piracy is bad for the industry.

One of my best friends has done this, and while it all sounds and looks cool I can't support it.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
There are currently 3 versions of the xbox motherboard. The first two can be modded with no solder mod chips - you just screw it in. I believe that the latest version has been hacked, but due to a layout change the no solder chips don't work, so you have to do a little soldering. No big deal.

The first version will be nearly impossible to buy new. The second version is still widely available, and the new version is just starting to show up.

If you join xbox live with the mod enabled, that xbox will be banned for life. The new mod chips are very easy to enable and disable, so xbox live shouldn't be an issue.

Sure, you can do all this now with your pc, so if your happy with that, then have fun. I don't understand the need for a router, though. Also, none of this is piracy.

I think the best part of the mod chip is loading all my games onto the drive and can access them quickly and easily. When I get bored with the current game, I press a couple of buttons on the controller, reboot the xbox andd play another. Way cool.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.