AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a few of you have heard.. the XBOX has finally been hacked to play backups, imports, yadda yadda..

What I'm really interested in is the Enigmah MOD Chip for the Xbox, which does allow the above.. but also has some very interesting DVD modification uses which you guys may be interested in.

Macrovision Disabled (May not be included on the first release - to be confirmed)

DVD Reset Enabled (Use multiple DVD Playback Kits for Multiregion Enhancement)

What I'm most concerned about, is will this MOD chip or a future version allow for the playback of 480Progressive DVD video???

I'm on the verge of purchasing a decent Progressive scan standalone DVD Player (RP-56 probably) but would glady put forth the $80 or so bucks for this MOD chip being as though I already own an XBOX, and the price has dropped to $199 so I can pick up a second unit for upstairs.

I'm surprised noone has asked this question before, as lack of progressive DVD playback was one of the biggest dissapointments of the XBOX release to the HTPC/HDTV community.

THanks,

Daekwan

·
Registered
316 Posts
Hi Daekwan.

While I think the possibility of 480P from an XBOX is interesting, I think many in the HTPC community are not that interested since many people are doing resolutions higher than 480P. Even those without projectors are running at resolutions based around 540P. I am currently running at 720P on a Sony CRT projector.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well how about this.. the XBOX is able to output in 480I, 480P.. and..

1080i!!!

I didnt even think about the ability to output DVD's in that format.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
While able to generate a 1080i or 720p picture, I think the source material is at a lower resolution. The video encoder that they use does not accept 1080i or 720p, IIRC.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Quote:
The real reason is that the Xbox's Conexant CX25871 video encoder doesn't have support for the AGC 1.03 version of the Macrovision copy protection scheme. (the 480p version of Macrovision) It only supports the 7.1.L1 version of Macrovision (the latest 480i version). Enabling progressive scan playback on Xbox would get MS into serious legal trouble with the MPAA and others. It will have to be an independent hack. "
The Mod chip will allow unsigned code to run on the XBOX. This is the first step toward enabling all the "features."

For example, it should be possible to run an app that enables progressive output from the Conexant encoder. It should also be possible to run software like YXY which would provide custom aspect ratio control.

So, imagine a DVD player that outputs, Composite, RGB, Component, Progressive Component, HD Component at 720p and 1080i. That's the raw potential of the hardware. The 1024x768 limit of the CX25871 is less than optimal, but just having the ability to have one box that can play DVDs using HD Component with aspect ratio control would be great.

Further research indicates that the product number in the quote above is likely incorrect. The chips which support HDTV output are the CX25874 and CX25875

http://www.aitinc.com.tw/eFile/eFile...74-5-brief.pdf

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We'll I'm ordering the chip as soon as it is available for a reputable source in the United States.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Also, remember the XBOX uses the GF2 series video - the Radeons still have this beat due to 10-bit DAC and processing.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
It seems that with the XBOX the video is not produced by the Nvidia part, but by the Conexant video encoder. This encoder is a 10 bit device. Check the PDF link in the post above.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Hi Jim,

Why would this be illegal? If you own the x-box, can't you change whatever you see fit as long as you don't pirate the software (sell the software copies)? I can't find anything illegal in it. Seems similar to flashing the firmware on a DVD drive, no harm no foul.

-PGPfan

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I come from a family of attorneys; this is not illegal in any way as long as you own the hardware and the software and are not profiting from it.

Mod chips/software are not illegal either unless used to pirate software.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Actually it is illegal under the DMCA. Especially if you are defeating Macrovision. DMCA states that circumventing copy protection even if you don't steal anything is still illegal. This is why it should and probably will be overturned some day.

Having said that I already have my chip pre-ordered at Lik-Sang and it should ship in the next week.

Kevin C. :)

·
Registered
16,590 Posts
--Um , hate to burst bubbles here guys but the chips have been delayed and it could be a little longer than a week . I know people in the UK that are buying direct from the source and they have passed this information on to me . I have also been informed that the initial chips will probably not have Macrovision defeat or enable any progressive DVD playback . This information should be very accurate but it is not written in stone , I just thought that I would share it .

-- Best Wishes ,

-- Jason Berg

-------------------------------

*** Xbox now $199.95

*** PS2 now $199.95

*** PSOne now $49.95

--- Nice price drops ....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.