AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if there are any restrictions on size, type and features of an after market hard drive for a chipped XBOX?:confused:

·
Registered
171 Posts
I don't think so, I've seen 120 GB 7200 RPM 2 MB cache drives in them that run just fine. Most anything off the shelf these days should have no troubles.

·
Registered
669 Posts
there is a size limit, it wont "see" more than 137 gigs, i think thats the ata 100 limit, so the most popular drive is the 120 gig. I've heard there is no advantage to having an 8 meg cache or 7200 rpm drive, but i think thats hard to believe, i just put in a way old 30 gig drive i had laying around. I plan to do the 120 gig upgrade, just don't have the drive yet.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I'm in the same camp as Statix.

Although you probably wouldn't notice any difference during a game (since they are all written to use a 5400 RPM drive), when reading say an MPG or Divx file that speed should be an advantage. The servo chip on the drive controls the RPM, the CPU/controller really don't know or care what speed the drive is.

The 8 MB od cache I'm not so sure about. I would think the drive woiuld handle this itself too, but whether you would 'notice' a difference or not is questionable.

I would probably get the biggest drive you can up to 120 GB for the cheapest price and not worry about the RPM or cache. For example, I got my 80 GB Maxtor 7200 RPM 8 MB cache for $30 with a tons rebates. I didn't need the extra speed or cache, but for the price it was the cheapest 80 GB HDD I could find.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
You will definately notice a difference when loading a game from the HDD on a 7200 rpm drive. Its probably about a second (maybe less), but its noticable. In my opinion, a 5400 rpm drive is the best bet, becuz its cheaper, and it will still load the games MANY times faster than it would ever load off a DVD. I put an old 20 gb 7200 rpm drive in mine as a test, but I have a lot of experience with the 5400 rpm drives as well.

Steve

·
Registered
171 Posts
Also, I noticed that next week (starting Sunday) OfficeMax will be running a similar slae on almost the exact same drive. Unless you can find pick up stock in your local area, the CC deal is pretty much dead (sold out.)

Western Digital seems to really be unloading these drives, must be badly overstocked.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.