AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I looked through the boards and can't find much and MSFT gives next to zero info on the latest update with audio.

I have a 5.1 setup but a new Pioneer Elite Receiver with 7.1. What is the best audio setting from the XBOX One? The new bitstream via HDMI seems to just down covert to either DD or DTS or whatever you choose, and I've read also that what it does with uncompressed 7.1 is up-converts 5.1 sources which isn't ideal either.

Any advice appreciated.

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Set it to pcm 5.1.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I'll give it a try. I've never been happy with the audio from it. The PS3 Bluray playback just sounds much better.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I actually think the 7.1 uncompressed option sounds pretty good. I was playing a bit last night with some of the audio options but due to my wife and daughter sleeping I didn't have the volume up anywhere near what I would have liked, but it felt like bitstream was lacking. Uncompressed seemed much more dynamic with more defined surround reproduction, then again that may change once volume is up closer to reference level. I was blown away playing FIFA 14 with the volume cranked. I'm really curious to see how the Dolby decode is. I like the PLIIx sound field but I'm torn on PLIIz. I am running a Yamaha Aventage 1010 with def tech bp8060 towers, 8040 center, bp8040 surround L/R and I recently moved my promonitor 800 set from front presence/height to rear surround in a standard 7.2 and I like the effect much better. Im planning on upgrading very soon to to the newer lineup so I can enable front presence with rear with another pair of promonitor 800s.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice setup, but how are you getting any of the new HD DTS or Dolby specs from the Bitstream setup? Mine doesn't seem to be pushing them out.

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
You definitely want uncompressed PCM if you are running HDMI. The bitstreaming options added in the new update are really good for Optical output (especially those who use gaming headphones that require Dolby Digital).

If you're using HDMI, the uncompressed PCM audio is the way to go as it sends the "lossless" Blu-Ray sound or respective 5.1 game audio straight to your receiver . The bitstreaming Dolby Digital or DTS options, as you said, are compressing the audio down to either format so even if it sounds "louder" (which seems to be the case with the Dolby Digital bitstream), it's not more accurate.

·
Registered
502 Posts
DirecTv sends out Dolby Digital so is it stll better to usr 5.1 pcm over dolby digital when watching tv with xbox1

·
Registered
42 Posts

Alright turbo63, I set to bitstream Dolby, made sure all possible enhancement features were turned off (just in case), and this is the readout of my Xbox during a game of FIFA. I conclude they're simply giving this option to support headset wearers only seeing as they rely in the Dolby codec for the surround headphones. They're kicker for me is that it is a straight up DD 5.1 decode. Its not even picking up my rear surrounds. I had to force enable PLII to get all seven playing. Im already back to Playing in lossless 7.1. The big thing to remember is that all surround sound codecs including hi res audio is lpcm codec simply altered for DTS and Dolby to fit their audio profiles. And just because the readout doesn't say DTS-HD MA doesn't mean that you're not hearing it, the receiver just doesn't know which one its playing only that it works. I have watched Jurassic Park on blu ray with my Xbox just to test it out with the HD audio specifically selected and it plays wonderfully. Maybe tomorrow I can switch the disc back and forth on some reference scenes to see if I can hear the differences. I will say my Panasonic BDT230 will display the DTS-HD MA on my Yamaha as well as support deep color, 24p, and any sort of bitstreaming/downsampling/upsampling yhat you could think of and cost me 99.99 as best buy.The other pic is the readout of the receiver getting the 7.1 uncompressed signal and the sound is dramatically improved, which makes sense seeing as the minimum gain in bitrate is double for DTS-HD(around 1500kbps) vs standard DTS 5.1(around 700kbps). Has microsoft even mentioned anything specific regarding support for the hi res audio? Yhrure not alone, I read earlier that Sony still won't support Dolby TrueHD 7.1 on the ps3/4. Which elite amp and speakers are you using?

Also I have three additional beta keys for project spark to give out. If you would like one, PM me. First come, first served.

Reactions: turbo63

·
UHD Addict
38,350 Posts
Didn't we go through this PCM stuff eight years ago when Blu-ray Disc and HD DVD was launched in 2006? I seem to remember people going back and forth about it back then. I used my Denon 3805(I think that was the model) to listen to multichannel PCM from my HD DVD player and BD player in 2006.

·
Registered
42 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo63  /t/1521186/xbox-new-bitstream-output-vs-uncompressed#post_24446941

Nice setup, but how are you getting any of the new HD DTS or Dolby specs from the Bitstream setup? Mine doesn't seem to be pushing them out.

I took out my SPL today and popped jurrasic park into the Xbox then my standalone player playing a couple scenes at my reference level. The Dolby setting is in fact a down sampling from the unconpressed in terms of individual channel performance and overall quality especially regarding range. I came across another similar thread that echoes what I said regarding the audio being decoded but simply not recognized ad such. The DTS bitstream did decode to my full 7.2 setup once again reaffirming that the Dolby setting is for headphone users, DTS for those with older systems, and the "uncompressed" for those with more capable setups.

Reactions: Weaselboy

·
Registered
42 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsova  /t/1521186/xbox-new-bitstream-output-vs-uncompressed#post_24452401

I took out my SPL today and popped jurrasic park into the Xbox then my standalone player playing a couple scenes at my reference level. The Dolby setting is in fact a down sampling from the unconpressed in terms of individual channel performance and overall quality especially regarding range. I came across another similar thread that echoes what I said regarding the audio being decoded but simply not recognized ad such. The DTS bitstream did decode to my full 7.2 setup once again reaffirming that the Dolby setting is for headphone users, DTS for those with older systems, and the "uncompressed" for those with more capable setups.

Sorry, I should have noted all my viewings were done with a flat EQ and all DSP/effect/dialog/compression enhancements turned off.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks! Would love a real bitstream out. Maybe someday it will happen for today it is PCM. Thanks for the help everyone.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Here is the million dollar question!!! I have my Denon 3312CI running 7.1, and I use my sammy 3d bluray player for all movies, and my One for gaming. I want Dolby EX for gaming since I know that games are all 5.1 encoded dolby. If I go uncompressed its either going to play nothing in the rears or dupe the rears to each side im thinking. I have to go bitstream dolby to get dolby Ex correct?!?! PCM wont be able to be matrixed in the rear right?!?!

·
UHD Addict
38,350 Posts
I thought most of the games were in 7.1, not 5.1?

·
Registered
1,861 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt  /t/1521186/xbox-new-bitstream-output-vs-uncompressed#post_24450484

Didn't we go through this PCM stuff eight years ago when Blu-ray Disc and HD DVD was launched in 2006? I seem to remember people going back and forth about it back then. I used my Denon 3805(I think that was the model) to listen to multichannel PCM from my HD DVD player and BD player in 2006.

Ya, I remember that well. I actually remember that with the PS3, as when it was 1st launched there was outcry on why the bitstream option was not available. I think that when the PS3 slim came out the option for bitstream was available. At the end, I think the consensus was that it sounded the same. The only advantage that bitstream has is that the DTS-MA or DD-HD lights on the receiver will get to light up (it will not when set to PCM).

Here is a thread from 2007 on the PS3 forums: http://www.avsforum.com/t/842477/bitstream-vs-linear-pcm

·
Registered
54 Posts
ive either lost my mind or not, or something...but you cant apply dolby digital settings or dts settings to pcm signals coming in.  Can you?!  Bitstream can be adjusted and broken down to a matrixed Dolby Ex, OR DTS-Neo for 7.1 matrix with a capable receiver knowing, and pcm isnt adjusted the same way by the receiver.  Im pretty dang sure the One is either not making the back channels, or its duplicating each side to the rear channels for the Ones uncompressed settings.  I would think that the uncompressed pcm is needed for the lossless blu ray streams, but not so much for games...as in we dont know what the one does with setups over 5.1 on games.

·
Registered
42 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by willyburz  /t/1521186/xbox-new-bitstream-output-vs-uncompressed#post_24477475

ive either lost my mind or not, or something...but you cant apply dolby digital settings or dts settings to pcm signals coming in.  Can you?!  Bitstream can be adjusted and broken down to a matrixed Dolby Ex, OR DTS-Neo for 7.1 matrix with a capable receiver knowing, and pcm isnt adjusted the same way by the receiver.  Im pretty dang sure the One is either not making the back channels, or its duplicating each side to the rear channels for the Ones uncompressed settings.  I would think that the uncompressed pcm is needed for the lossless blu ray streams, but not so much for games...as in we dont know what the one does with setups over 5.1 on games.

From everything I've tried as far as configurations are concerned the best option is running the Xbox in uncompressed mode. If you're wanting to apply a different surround decode then you need your receiver to be in a "surround decode" mode and not straight or direct. I frequently play FIFA 14 and The Lego Movie game in DD-Ex with my setup and it plays just fine. For other games such as COD or Titanfall I use "pure direct" to keep the eq from going crazy. Hope that helps.

·
UHD Addict
38,350 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeeBoogie  /t/1521186/xbox-new-bitstream-output-vs-uncompressed#post_24488367

The PS4 bit streamed will have your receiver decode the HD surround sound. The Xbox one so far can't.......

That is only for Blu-ray Discs. When the PS4 is set for bitstream when playing Blu-ray Discs, it will bitstream the HD audio. WIth everything else it is bitstreaming legacy DD/DTS like the XBOne. Just like the XBOne, multi-channel PCM output is the best option to use for the PS4 to get the highest quality audio output from all sources.

Reactions: itsloud
1 - 20 of 49 Posts