AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are a few stale threads but nothing on point on this so I figured I'd create one. I have a Xbox One on order that will arrive Tuesday. I am just about ready to put flooring in my theater. I ran a USB 2.0 extender to the front of my theater for the Kinect for the 360 but of course MS changed to USB 3.0 and are now using a proprietary connection. With no extender in MS's immediate plans I am stuck looking at placing the Xbox One in the front of my theater not the rack like I hoped. My question is should I run 2 35' HDMI cables or should I run 4 CAT6 cables with baluns to maintain signal quality?

What are others doing to deal with this? (buy a PS4 is not a solution in case you were wondering)

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Subscribe. I would like to know what kind of solution for the Kinect too.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So you just put the xbox in the rack and set the kinect on a shelf?

·
Registered
56 Posts

A little hard to see here. I wired 3 Cat 6 cables and one HDMI to the center of the wall for exactly this reason. I will have the XBOX here with Kinnect. One Cat 6 is for a hard wired network connection and two are for future use.

Don't forget to put power here as well. I have power at three places on the front wall. Two potential SUB locations and one for the XBOX. The power plugs have one power on the bottom and two USB power jacks on the tops. This allows me charge stuff like 3D glasses.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice work. Don't you need 2 HDMIs though? One for input from a cable box/sat box if you want to use the Xbox tv feature and one for output to your AVR?

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This one died quickly.

·
Registered
56 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraunch  /t/1521304/xbox-one-kinect#post_24451924

Nice work. Don't you need 2 HDMIs though? One for input from a cable box/sat box if you want to use the Xbox tv feature and one for output to your AVR?

No interest in XBOX TV stuff. Kids use the XBOX for games so I have one HDMI. I also have some CAT6 and could use Baluns if I really wanted to.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
But you can't use a balun for the Kinect. I hear you on the tv part as I am very underwhelmed by the integration with that so far.

·
Registered
56 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraunch  /t/1521304/xbox-one-kinect#post_24589405

But you can't use a balun for the Kinect. I hear you on the tv part as I am very underwhelmed by the integration with that so far.

Correct. Not planing on it. I was saying if I needed an additional HDMI connection I could use one.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
I am also looking for a solution. Currently have the Xbox One in the room. It is the only component in the room and sticks out like a sore thumb. I need a LONG usb 3.0 extender with the proprietary connections. I have considered just rack mounting the One. The rack is outside the room. This would mean I could not use voice commands. I do think the voice command is a cool trick (when it works). I am not sold on motion controls at this point but for the occasional game I would still like to have the option. I can see the kids having fun with something like Kinect Sports.

There are other threads around in which tech savvy guys have tried to splice usb 3.0 cables with difficulty.

Any word on an official solution from Microsoft or maybe Monoprice?

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No word and no plans from my inside source at MS.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts