AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this in another thread, but this might be the place to go. To make a long story short, I'm upgrading my TV from a 55" 4k to a 75" 4k HDR and getting my kids an Xbox one for Christmas (for games and for me to have 4k Bluray). My question is for the games, will it look good on that big of a screen with the S model, or do I need to get the X? The 55" I don't think would matter, but that 75 will be massive (I get it tomorrow, but I can't test this other out until Christmas).

I'm heavily considering getting the new one next year when the next Gen starts, so I don't really want to spend too much now.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I posted this in another thread, but this might be the place to go. To make a long story short, I'm upgrading my TV from a 55" 4k to a 75" 4k HDR and getting my kids an Xbox one for Christmas (for games and for me to have 4k Bluray). My question is for the games, will it look good on that big of a screen with the S model, or do I need to get the X? The 55" I don't think would matter, but that 75 will be massive (I get it tomorrow, but I can't test this other out until Christmas).

I'm heavily considering getting the new one next year when the next Gen starts, so I don't really want to spend too much now.
You will be fine, they will look good.

LG C9, C8, C6 w/Pioneer SC-LX502 AVR, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro & Nintendo Switch

·
Registered
102 Posts
imho the X looks massively better on my 75" tv. Some games render at such a low native resolution on the S that is dramatically different.

·
Registered
903 Posts
imho the X looks massively better on my 75" tv. Some games render at such a low native resolution on the S that is dramatically different.
The latter ironically goes to something I'm also curious about--I have an OG XB1 hooked up to a crappy no-name 55" 4K TV, but I ended up bringing an S home last week on an impulse buy. It's not my first choice, and it's still unopened, but I didn't have X money...and I've been wondering if an X would actually be a sort of overkill for my TV because of the intangibles (no HDR support, etc). But, since the S upscales everything, I'm now wondering how that would look...and if I'm going to run into any performance issues because of that.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've read that in some cases the S game output scaled to 4k looks better than the 1080p output. But keep in mind that most games on the OG/S are rendered under 1080p so you are getting a lot of scaling. It may be worth comparing your TV's ability to scale 1080p to 4K vs the Xbox assuming your TV doesn't add enough video latency to cause you any issues. The bump in performance of the S isn't significant, less than 10% on paper so I assume you bought it for 4K media only if your TV doesn't do HDR.

Unless you really need the 4K media output I wouldn't switch from the OG to the S. It's generally tough for me to recommend GameStop but the OG is worth $75 trade in credit. Assuming you paid $250 for the S you're only $25 away from the X with its new price of $350. If you got a deal on the S for around 200 you're $75 away. For $25 dollars the X over the S is absolutely worth it. For $75 I would still do it. All of this assuming you plan to completely replace your OG and not move it to another TV or something like that.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
903 Posts
After a near-miss with a lazy or uninformed Gamestop employee this evening I came back and set up the S. Apparently my no-name (Atyme...same thing) 4K TV is so no-name none of the 4K features on the S are supported except for one (4K 10-bit), so the S won't even output 4K to it at all...and I'm guessing an X would likely run into the same problems. (That said, the Shield TV also connected to this set has had virtually zero problems at 4K. I might try a port swap for kicks later.)

I think I know what my priority now is...

EDIT: I forgot that this TV, for whatever reason, has an EDID setting. It was set at 1.4 before I hooked the S up...I switched it to 2.0, had to reboot the S...and it's now showing most of the 4K display modes (minus HDR, of course) are supported. It won't display the dashboard in 4K, but I'm getting 4K output from the Movies and TV app right now. Probably still need a better class of TV before anything else, but I'll take this.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
After a near-miss with a lazy or uninformed Gamestop employee this evening I came back and set up the S. Apparently my no-name (Atyme...same thing) 4K TV is so no-name none of the 4K features on the S are supported except for one (4K 10-bit), so the S won't even output 4K to it at all...and I'm guessing an X would likely run into the same problems.

I think I know what my priority now is...
Does your TV HDMI port need to have 4k features turned on?

LG C9, C8, C6 w/Pioneer SC-LX502 AVR, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro & Nintendo Switch

·
Registered
102 Posts
Also a lot of the early 4k tvs arent full featured on all ports. My x930c only has 1 full hdmi port that supports all of the 4k features like hdr. Really lame that they wouldnt just make every port full features as it couldnt have saved them hardly anything.

On the note of OGX vs S. The S is slightly more powerful with a over clocked gpu so you'll lose nothing when it upscales as the higher gpu clock speed balances that out.

·
Registered
12,310 Posts
I have both OG XB1 and S. The only differences, besides the 4K UHD and media playback, is S boots up quicker. As for X, you need to have games that supports X's capability. Not all games do 4K rendering.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts