AVS Forum banner

241 - 260 of 2588 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Nice receiver.

No one knows why MS didn't provide bitstreaming (I'm sure it probably has to do with licensing) but the capability hasn't been there since the beginning and no one has ever confirmed bitstreaming for the XBox One S or even Project Scorpio (not even entirely sure if the XBox hardware is capable of bitstreaming).

For myself, I'm not Atmos/DTS X capable at present, so for me the upgrade will be worth it seeing as how I don't have a UHD Blu-ray player now and I can live with 5.1 PCM.

It's all because of the stupid system sounds. You can't bitstream HD audio and have system and notification sounds.

·
Registered
408 Posts
yes I do. I have the Pioneer SC-95

I planned on selling my original xbox one but now I feel like Microsoft pushed an incomplete system out. Been seeing rumors swirling that they will upgrade, but I just don't trust them....they never did with the original xbox one.
I'd say return it if you want it to be your primary UHD player. We've got to vote with our wallets on this one.

It's all because of the stupid system sounds. You can't bitstream HD audio and have system and notification sounds.
Brilliant, MS - I'm sure we all want to be interrupted by your system sounds while watching a movie. Don't even get me started on Cortana...

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
I know people are skeptical, but I actually think a bitstream update will come. This update is geared more towards the home theater market than the gaming market. As a gamer, what is the reason you would upgrade?

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
Reactions: Rudy1

·
Registered
435 Posts

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
That link is broken, but it's good insight from Albert Penello (MS Director of Product Planning), it goes:

"If it wasn't something we were considering strongly, I would not have mentioned it. :)

It's really more of a question of "when" than "if", but I've learned my lesson in trying to predict he future with certainty.

Mostly I wanted to address that it's a request that we have heard, and let people know there is no HW limitation. It's a software update and now it goes into the large bucket of feature requests that the team has to prioritize.
Well I guess I'll take my foot from my mouth! That's great news Thanks for the find @dustinw82.

So @Joey0480, you may want to keep that puppy. :D

Reactions: dustinw82

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
That link is broken, but it's good insight from Albert Penello (MS Director of Product Planning), it goes:

"If it wasn't something we were considering strongly, I would not have mentioned it.

It's really more of a question of "when" than "if", but I've learned my lesson in trying to predict he future with certainty.

Mostly I wanted to address that it's a request that we have heard, and let people know there is no HW limitation. It's a software update and now it goes into the large bucket of feature requests that the team has to prioritize.
Well I guess I'll take my foot from my mouth! That's great news Thanks for the find @dustinw82.

So @Joey0480, you may want to keep that puppy. :D
Yeah, but still a little wiggle left in those words. I guess those looking for those audio features can hope they are swimming near the top of the bucket!
:eek:

·
Registered
261 Posts
Given the post by Albert Penello and Microsoft's much better attempts at responding to consumer wishes, I'm fairly sure we're going to see Bitstream support on this console. The main question that remains, as highlighted by Musician, is when this feature works it's way to the top of the request queue and gets added. Will it be over the next couple of months or are we looking longer term, maybe to be released at the same time as Project Scorpio?

If you want to help push this to the top of the queue then adding your voice to the link Symtex provided is probably the best way. Microsoft uses these responses to help determine which features get added to their products and in what order. Here's the link again:

https://xbox.uservoice.com/forums/253802-home-xbox-guide-and-settings/suggestions/6029319-proper-hd-audio-support

If we can get many of the AV forums to start posting here, we should get this added sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
116 Posts

·
UHD Addict
37,092 Posts
yes I do. I have the Pioneer SC-95

I planned on selling my original xbox one but now I feel like Microsoft pushed an incomplete system out. Been seeing rumors swirling that they will upgrade, but I just don't trust them....they never did with the original xbox one.
No one said that there would be bitstreaming. Just the opposite. It's been known that the SLim would have the same capabilities as the Fat. So I have no idea why anyone would get the XBOne SLim thinking that it would have bitstreaming at launch. As has been said for a while, if some has an Atmos setup they need to get a stand alone UHD BD player. My XBOne Slim has all the features I read about. Nothing more and nothing less. It's working just like has been expected for awhile.

·
UHD Addict
37,092 Posts
Given the post by Albert Penello and Microsoft's much better attempts at responding to consumer wishes, I'm fairly sure we're going to see Bitstream support on this console. The main question that remains, as highlighted by Musician, is when this feature works it's way to the top of the request queue and gets added. Will it be over the next couple of months or are we looking longer term, maybe to be released at the same time as Project Scorpio?

If you want to help push this to the top of the queue then adding your voice to the link Symtex provided is probably the best way. Microsoft uses these responses to help determine which features get added to their products and in what order. Here's the link again:

https://xbox.uservoice.com/forums/253802-home-xbox-guide-and-settings/suggestions/6029319-proper-hd-audio-support

If we can get many of the AV forums to start posting here, we should get this added sooner rather than later.
I still wouldn't hold my breath. MS still can't get the audio channels mapped correctly from the apps and HDMI input with a 7.1 and higher system.

·
Registered
304 Posts
No one said that there would be bitstreaming. Just the opposite. It's been known that the SLim would have the same capabilities as the Fat. So I have no idea why anyone would get the XBOne SLim thinking that it would have bitstreaming at launch. As has been said for a while, if some has an Atmos setup they need to get a stand alone UHD BD player. My XBOne Slim has all the features I read about. Nothing more and nothing less. It's working just like has been expected for awhile.
Thought process has been that if Microsoft wants to release a unit with 4K capabilities (newer video output), they should have considered also releasing a unit that can handle the sound output as well. I'm not saying that it has been advertised because we all know it wasn't.....but it feels like they have an incomplete product to me.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Voted

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Thought process has been that if Microsoft wants to release a unit with 4K capabilities (newer video output), they should have considered also releasing a unit that can handle the sound output as well. I'm not saying that it has been advertised because we all know it wasn't.....but it feels like they have an incomplete product to me.
to be fair, it is still a gaming console fist. Sure this is a push to attack the 4K market, but the mass majority do not have an ATMOS set up. I honestly would say this effects probably less than 1% of their customers. I would also think this will be a really low priority on the update list.

·
Registered
23 Posts
This bitstream issue is a major bummer for me. I just spent two months setting up a decent Atmos system and absolutely require the source audio utilize it.

I guess I'll have to go with the Samsung.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
I just cast vote # 4,000.

I'm really disappointed about not being able to bitstream because I'm doing some upgrades and was thinking of adding some in-ceiling speakers for Dolby Atmos. I think I'll pick up one of these anyway and hope for the best on the update. I'll just hold off on buying the extra speakers until we know whether or not bitstreaming will be added.

·
Super Moderator
15,962 Posts
Price talk and linking to deals is not allowed in the general threads. All posts related to pricing and deals have been moved to the deals subforum.

241 - 260 of 2588 Posts