AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 2588 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
The lack of dual HDMI output is a bummer, but I placed a preorder for the $299 500GB model. I have to decide if I'm going to get a HDMI splitter or a new AVR that supports all the latest HDMI/HDCP stuff.

Frankly I'm shocked that Xbox is supporting UHD Blu-ray, that was a big surprise.

·
Registered
803 Posts
If it's going to play blu-rays like the Xbox One did at launch, they can take the One S and shuff it up their own S.
I mean, they still haven't fully fixed the blu-ray playback on the current xbone. Just saying'.
I don't have current xB1 so if you can elaborate on what this issue is that you speak of I'm sure lots of people will find that info helpful

·
Registered
803 Posts
The lack of dual HDMI output is a bummer, but I placed a preorder for the $299 500GB model. I have to decide if I'm going to get a HDMI splitter or a new AVR that supports all the latest HDMI/HDCP stuff.

Frankly I'm shocked that Xbox is supporting UHD Blu-ray, that was a big surprise.
somebody above just said it has an hdmi in and hdmi out

isn't that what we're looking for?

or do they both need to be hdmi out?

·
Registered
1,773 Posts

They both have to be "outs".
One will support both video and audio and the other will only support audio (that's the one to use with your AVR).

·
Registered
408 Posts

No - what we want is two HDMI out. One to go to your AVR for audio, and another to go to your TV with the HDR video. For those of us without a receiver that supports HDCP 2.2 and HDMI 2.0, it helps to have a separate out to the AVR.

The HDMI In is to connect to your Cable STB for the Xbox to act like a TiVo, as I understand it.

·
Registered
886 Posts

I was told by the folks at Monoprice an HDMI splitter isn't normally the correct way to go about this type of thing because the source device will recognize the lowest HDMI version of the two devices it's sending information out to and lower it's output to that setting. Maybe that's incorrect, but after the Monoprice support person told me that, I asked in my A/V store where I've purchased equipment in the past and they seemed to confirm that same fact. I would have to guess if it was as simple as a splitter, devices with dual HDMI outputs wouldn't generally demand such a premium as they do.

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
How come the amazon link doesn't specifically mention UHD Blu-Ray.... are you sure this isn't just streaming ?

·
Registered
401 Posts
I checked Amazon again and it does list a 500gb for $299 coming out in December. If it was coming out in August, I would have preordered.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
I was told by the folks at Monoprice an HDMI splitter isn't normally the correct way to go about this type of thing because the source device will recognize the lowest HDMI version of the two devices it's sending information out to and lower it's output to that setting. Maybe that's incorrect, but after the Monoprice support person told me that, I asked in my A/V store where I've purchased equipment in the past and they seemed to confirm that same fact. I would have to guess if it was as simple as a splitter, devices with dual HDMI outputs wouldn't generally demand such a premium as they do.
What you were told is correct. A basic HDMI splitter merely copies the signal being input and passes it to the outputs. If your goal is to pass HDCP 2.2 encrypted UHD video with HD audio to a new HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 display and an older HDMI/HDCP 1.4 receiver then a basic splitter won't work. You'd likely end up with HDCP 1.4 encrypted 1080p with stereo audio since those are the shared capabilities of your display and AVR. What you would need is a more advanced splitter that disregards the audio capabilities of your display and the video capabilities of your AVR, then transmits the video through one output (which goes to your display) while transmitting only the audio (with blanked video) through the other output (which goes to your AVR).

·
Registered
545 Posts
Reactions: ingramba

·
Registered
545 Posts
Ship date for 2tb has upped to August 2nd on MS website.

·
Registered
Sony XBR-A1E - Sony STR-ZA5000ES Receiver
271 Posts
Has it mentioned at all what playback the Xbox One S will support locally? From a USB drive / HDD, will it play MKV, X265, X264 etc? That would be the deal breaker / deal maker for me.

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 · (Edited)

·
Registered
545 Posts
Has it mentioned at all what playback the Xbox One S will support locally? From a USB drive / HDD, will it play MKV, X265, X264 etc? That would be the deal breaker / deal maker for me.
Don't think that info is out yet. Personally, have no care for that as I can watch everything with Plex through my pc server.

·
Registered
545 Posts
So, now I have a pre order at Amazon still listing 8/31 and at MS for 8/2.

21 - 40 of 2588 Posts