AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 2588 Posts

·
Registered
Sony XBR-A1E - Sony STR-ZA5000ES Receiver
215 Posts
Has it mentioned at all what playback the Xbox One S will support locally? From a USB drive / HDD, will it play MKV, X265, X264 etc? That would be the deal breaker / deal maker for me.
Don't think that info is out yet. Personally, have no care for that as I can watch everything with Plex through my pc server.
I would go down the KODI / Plex route if I could, but my PC can't handle 4K output and I don't want to purchase another computer just for that reason. It would be great if the Xbox just did it all.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I don't game at all, but I'm waiting to pre-order depending on the support for Dolby Vision. You can really tell how much Samsung is ripping off UHD customers if the 500GB model costs $100 LESS than a standalone UHD player.

Reactions: Paulf1

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Another benefit is that firmware updates will be more frequent with the Xbox.
Yes, and in general I'm a Microsoft supporter. So as long has the new Xbox has DV, then I'll bite. If it doesn't, then I'll wait for Oppo or whoever ships one.

Reactions: Paulf1

·
Registered
470 Posts
Ok ill be that guy....does it really only come in white? I am not against white, but everything in my setup is black it would seriously look out of place lol.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Another benefit is that firmware updates will be more frequent with the Xbox with a much larger install base. I guess I will start looking for deals on UHD discs.

I wonder if they will relax the HDCP 2.2 security since many people buying this won't have 4k TVs yet. I can't see MS walking into that nightmare blind. I would love to have UHD audio with my 1080p projector without having to use an HDFury or other HDCP 2.2 proxy device.
Not really true. Compared to Sony PS3/4, MS has been slow in terms of technology adoption via FW updates.
Case in point is Atmos/DTS:X, etc newer audio formats. People are asking for Atmos support (just give the damn bitstream out option) for almost 2 years now and MS is yet to deliver - while Sony supports it right off the bat. I was all in with XB1 as my main media player and was forced to buy a $50 blu ray player just for bit stream out.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Amazon is showing a December ship date for the $299 500GB version. I imagine that will be pushed up to October/November for holiday sales. Also, the xbox website clearly confirms it will play UHD Blu Ray in HDR. http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one-s.

Ok. That page must've just went up. It wasn't like that a few moments ago.

That kinda confirms it.

Stream 4k content on Netflix and Amazon Instant Video and watch Ultra HD Blu-rayTM movies in stunning visual fidelity with High Dynamic Range.2

2. 4K streaming with select apps, see xbox.com. HDR functionality available with supported games and TVs.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Yes, and in general I'm a Microsoft supporter. So as long has the new Xbox has DV, then I'll bite. If it doesn't, then I'll wait for Oppo or whoever ships one.
No mention of DV anywhere, but I already have support. Actually, I don't think there is even a DV player on the market right now.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
No mention of DV anywhere, but I already have support. Actually, I don't think there is even a DV player on the market right now.
You are right, there's no shipping DV player right now or I would have gotten one.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I guess that this pretty much confirms that the new PS4 Neo will have a UHD drive. I can't see Sony releasing a new console without it.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
The Xbox one S only has 1 HDMI Output. It also has a S/PDIF out for Audio. So if your AVR is not 4K compliant you are then limited to optical for Audio.. Two USBs on back and one on front. 1 HDMI Input is also on the back..

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if Samsung responds to this by offering their UHD player for free with the purchase of one of their 4K tv's sometime this fall.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
I stated that compared to Samsung the updates would be more frequent. Agreed the PS4 was a better media player than the XB1.

I would think so too. But, if they hadn't planned it, I bet it will have one now. I would rather buy the MS since I have been been pretty disappointed with the PS4 thus far. The wireless range is terrible, and I have had two controllers go dead. I still have original launch (Fat PS3) controllers that work flawlessly. Something is up with the PS4 controllers since a Google search reveals a lot of issues with them.
My PS4 controllers have been fine, but my Xbox One controller loses signal intermittently. I know people who have had issues with both though. The Xbox is increasing it's range, hopefully the Neo does this as well.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
So did Microsoft basically come out and say, "Here's the new Xbox One S coming this August and starting at $299" only to limit the release to a $399 option initially?

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
The most important question though is will it feature two HDMI outs

one for video and another for audio like the Samsung UHD player?

If not then many people that don't have updated AVR equipment it will end up being useless for right?
Only one HDMI port. I saw a picture on blu-ray.com. The other question is whether it will bitstream the audio so we can use Atmos.

You are right, there's no shipping DV player right now or I would have gotten one.
In another thread it was said that there are no forthcoming DV players for 2016 at all.

·
Registered
311 Posts
The lack of dual HDMI output is a bummer, but I placed a preorder for the $299 500GB model. I have to decide if I'm going to get a HDMI splitter or a new AVR that supports all the latest HDMI/HDCP stuff.

Frankly I'm shocked that Xbox is supporting UHD Blu-ray, that was a big surprise.
Well, MS did support HD-DVD over Blu-ray with the XBox 360 albeit just an add-on drive.

We know how that worked out. ;)

·
Premium Member
6,382 Posts
41 - 60 of 2588 Posts