AVS Forum banner

1061 - 1080 of 2588 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a habit of trying several players a year, and I 100% agree with saving the dough for another type of CE purchase.

All about need too. I had an Xbox One S and loved it, especially as a streamer, but I sold mine when I bought the new Panny 900. Was looking hard at the Oppo 203, but we are cutting the cord now and I'd rather an all in one device so I am looking back at the S. I can sell the 900 and pay for a 1TB S and media remote :)

I mean it gives me blu-ray, UHD blu, Amazon and Netflix streaming, and Sling Tv. So my setup for video will end up being an Xbox One S and a Tivo Bolt.
I own an xbox one s and just recently bought the Panasonic UHD player to compare the picture quality and to see if its worth spending the extra money since I want the best quality thats out there and I have to tell you, I did an intense deep comparison and the xbox looked Identical to the Panasonic, maybe in the sound department it might be better (I didn't test sound) but I don't understand why anyone would spend that money on the player when you have cheaper options that are just as good. All the reviewers put the panasonic on top of the list and I don't understand why. Honestly, if you're looking for a uhd blu ray player consider trying cheaper options before spending so much on the Panasonic just cause Reviewers say its the best. Its not.

·
Premium Member
12,561 Posts
Well, you get things like analog outs, HDR to SDR conversion, etc... I get what you are saying but the Panny is marketed at a different group IMO. Just coming down to basic PQ and AQ (HDMI), most players are pretty equal when it comes to 1080p and 2160p blu-ray. As a streamer, the S is much better than the 900 in the options department.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I own an xbox one s and just recently bought the Panasonic UHD player to compare the picture quality and to see if its worth spending the extra money since I want the best quality thats out there and I have to tell you, I did an intense deep comparison and the xbox looked Identical to the Panasonic, maybe in the sound department it might be better (I didn't test sound) but I don't understand why anyone would spend that money on the player when you have cheaper options that are just as good. All the reviewers put the panasonic on top of the list and I don't understand why. Honestly, if you're looking for a uhd blu ray player consider trying cheaper options before spending so much on the Panasonic just cause Reviewers say its the best. Its not.
You compared one aspect of the two players, picture quality. I believe most of the reviews out there compare multiple aspects of the players: picture quality, audio quality, features, apps, remotes, connectivity, build quality, speed, noise, etc. Please remember that different people have different needs.

Also, please remember that many things, such as picture quality, are very subjective. While you may think the two look the same, the reality is that it may look different for someone else. For example, my partner can't tell the difference in black levels between my ~9 year old CFL LCD to my ~3 year old LED LCD to my ~3 day old OLED, unless they are side by side playing Gravity.

Not trying to start a fight, but before you claim to have done an "intense deep comparison" or that the cheaper option is "just as good" or that "its not (the best)" you might want to think about some of the other variables at play here.

Reactions: Dave Harper

·
Premium Member
12,561 Posts
Another good test is using test patterns off spears and munsil for basic functionality (chroma, luma, clipping, etc...) and the Xbox S, Philips and Panny all resulted in the same there.

Its like what comes up in the Oppo thread with regards to blu-ray, and any honest Oppo owner will tell you this, if you are just going to play the shiny discs at 1080p/24, buy a $89 Sony :). Its all the other bells and whistles that make it a need for certain people.

Some would probably say "why in the hell did you sell your 900 and go back to an S". The answer would be, it plays 1080p and 2160p discs fine, it streams Amazon and Netflix well, and it can do Sling TV. Allows me to have all my needs in ONE box (WAF also comes into play here since I cut the cord). That may not be what someone else needs. But when it comes down to the nitty gritty of playing a blu-ray back, I don't feel I am missing out on anything (do not have Atmos so 5.1 LPCM works fine for me). The truth is, the only reason I sold my prior S was because I just did not have the room, I loved it.

Reactions: obonillaf

·
Premium Member
12,561 Posts
I just setup my new Xbone S and got my apps installed. Mine is outputting 1080p blu-rays at 4k/24, so not sure when they changed this or if anyone else has noticed.

This is when a blu-ray disc is in:

I rebooted the Xbone just to verify, same result.

·
UHD Addict
38,356 Posts
I just checked my Captain America Civil War BD in the XBOne One S. It's also outputting 2160P from the system now while playing back the 2K BD.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I just checked my Captain America Civil War BD in the XBOne One S. It's also outputting 2160P from the system now while playing back the 2K BD.
Sounds like the upscaling update came through very quickly. I don't seem to have it yet - can you confirm which dashboard version you are on? What is your version number?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Picture settings

Do all of you change your picture settings from game mode when watching movies from the bluray player? It would be cool if the pic settings could change dynamically based on the media you are playing.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Not yet. That functionality is coming (confirmed by Microsoft). Another 3-4 months is the estimate.
But for now I can still get the same quality DTS HD master but the Xbox with decode it and send as PCM? That's not a big deal really. I used to do the same with PS3. You can't tell the difference. I'm trying to decide to get the Xbox one s or a stand alone player. Once the Xbox s is updated to bitstream isn't it a no brainer to get the xbox one s?

·
Premium Member
3,152 Posts
But for now I can still get the same quality DTS HD master but the Xbox with decode it and send as PCM? That's not a big deal really. I used to do the same with PS3. You can't tell the difference. I'm trying to decide to get the Xbox one s or a stand alone player. Once the Xbox s is updated to bitstream isn't it a no brainer to get the xbox one s?
Technically no it's not the same. All audio goes through a mixer and we know all audio that is not 48khz sample rate is resampled. We don't know what else the mixer is doing to mess with the audio. It's not outputting straight decoded pcm audio like a Blu-ray player would do.

Most people will not notice though.

There are other things to consider too. Noise from the Xbox can be audible. Remote control is not great. Picture quality well you'll need to compare. I think it looks as good compared to my Samsung but I did not do back to back tests with the same content as I only own one disc for each uhd movie. Both are far below my htpc with 1080p content.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Technically no it's not the same. All audio goes through a mixer and we know all audio that is not 48khz sample rate is resampled. We don't know what else the mixer is doing to mess with the audio. It's not outputting straight decoded pcm audio like a Blu-ray player would do.

Most people will not notice though.

There are other things to consider too. Noise from the Xbox can be audible. Remote control is not great. Picture quality well you'll need to compare. I think it looks as good compared to my Samsung but I did not do back to back tests with the same content as I only own one disc for each uhd movie. Both are far below my htpc with 1080p content.
The other issue is with only 1 HDMI out can my Marantz SR6009 pass HDR? Its says it passes 4k but can I assume it can handle HDR?
http://www.us.marantz.com/us/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=AVReceivers&ProductId=SR6009

·
Premium Member
3,152 Posts
The other issue is with only 1 HDMI out can my Marantz SR6009 pass HDR? Its says it passes 4k but can I assume it can handle HDR?
http://www.us.marantz.com/us/Products/Pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=AVReceivers&ProductId=SR6009
One output should be fine unless you are driving more the one display device.

Inputs are what matter with your AVR. You need at least one input for every source device.

You need HDMI 2.0a w/ HDCP 2.2 in order for UHD blu-ray to work properly with HDR. A lot of the AVRs from the 6009 era did not have both. You may have an HDMI 2.0 input with HDCP 2.2, but that is not enough bandwidth for HDR. Check in your manual.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
One output should be fine unless you are driving more the one display device.

Inputs are what matter with your AVR. You need at least one input for every source device.

You need HDMI 2.0a w/ HDCP 2.2 in order for UHD blu-ray to work properly with HDR. A lot of the AVRs from the 6009 era did not have both. You may have an HDMI 2.0 input with HDCP 2.2, but that is not enough bandwidth for HDR. Check in your manual.
No HDCP 2.2 on the Marantz SR6009. Looks like this rules out the xbox for me. I'll need a player with dual hdmi outs. One strait to the TV and one to the avr. Thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
96 Posts
No HDCP 2.2 on the Marantz SR6009. Looks like this rules out the xbox for me. I'll need a player with dual hdmi outs. One strait to the TV and one to the avr. Thanks for all your help.
Or, as an interim measure, take the Xbox One S HDMI out to the screen / PJ and use optical out to the AVR. This is what I am doing before I upgrade my receiver...

·
Registered
168 Posts
Is anyone having a problem playing Sony movies with their Xbox? I have it hooked up to my 930d and every time I play a Sony movie it looks washed out. All the other movies look great but chappie and assuage party looked extremely washed out in 4k. The blu rays look fine though. Any thoughts? Thanks!

1061 - 1080 of 2588 Posts