AVS Forum banner

1701 - 1720 of 2588 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Thanks, but do you mean I can do it already by signing up via the Insider Hub, or do you mean it is already available to all in general?

Same. I joined Insider but nothing. Trying to decide between keeping Xbox One S or new Sony X800 UHD player. Too many pros and cons!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Xbox One S 4k Bluray Playback Issue

I just wanted to see what you guys have to say about the 4k blu ray playback in regards to an issue i'm having. Now I'm using a Vizio P series hdr tv that supports hdr fully and everything, so 4k blu rays are meant to really shine. Now with the hdmi color subsampling turned on and everything, i get the hdr picture and all but have ran into a weird bug that makes me think that hdr is not working the way it is supposed to and wanted to know if the issue is normal and everyone's xbox reacts the same way. So when you are watching a 4k blu ray, when you press the home button that takes you to the homescreen and the blu ray is playing in the small preview window, does the 4k hdr look brighter and more lively from the preview in the home screen? It seems that way for me, and as soon as i go back to full screen 4k blu ray, you can notice it has a greyish tint cast over it. Honestly, the preview window from the home screen looks more like hdr to me but I can't really tell if its thats just something the xbox does. I just want to know if others ran into the same scenario with the home screen, as that would indicate that its just something the xbox one s does instead of actually limiting the 4k hdr playback. If no one else gets a more vibrant and brighter picture of the 4k blu ray from the home screen, then that would mean there is something wrong with my xbox or tv, so I'm very interested to hear what everyone has to say on this point. It's no surprise that the xbox one s had many 4k bugs in the past, it would be a shame if this was one of them.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
I just wanted to see what you guys have to say about the 4k blu ray playback in regards to an issue i'm having. Now I'm using a Vizio P series hdr tv that supports hdr fully and everything, so 4k blu rays are meant to really shine. Now with the hdmi color subsampling turned on and everything, i get the hdr picture and all but have ran into a weird bug that makes me think that hdr is not working the way it is supposed to and wanted to know if the issue is normal and everyone's xbox reacts the same way. So when you are watching a 4k blu ray, when you press the home button that takes you to the homescreen and the blu ray is playing in the small preview window, does the 4k hdr look brighter and more lively from the preview in the home screen? It seems that way for me, and as soon as i go back to full screen 4k blu ray, you can notice it has a greyish tint cast over it. Honestly, the preview window from the home screen looks more like hdr to me but I can't really tell if its thats just something the xbox does. I just want to know if others ran into the same scenario with the home screen, as that would indicate that its just something the xbox one s does instead of actually limiting the 4k hdr playback. If no one else gets a more vibrant and brighter picture of the 4k blu ray from the home screen, then that would mean there is something wrong with my xbox or tv, so I'm very interested to hear what everyone has to say on this point. It's no surprise that the xbox one s had many 4k bugs in the past, it would be a shame if this was one of them.
Post your settings.

Sent from my 5054N using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Post your settings.

Turns out I found what the issue is after researching more and more and testing with another xbox as well. So the xbox one S 4k blu ray player isn't displaying 4k hdr blu rays to the nearest of its fullest potential, and thats by default. A big dissapointment with microsoft as I bought the console specifically for the 4k hdr blu ray playback and this is just something the xbox does. The issue is the chroma subsampling that the xbox one s outputs at. So viewing hdr in its full glory is seen in 4:4:4 chroma subsampling which most, if not all, stand alone 4k blu ray players support. What the xbox does is automatically convert the 24p 4:4:4 signal to a 60p 4:2:0 signal :mad: I'm assuming its because it has to run an entire interface for the system as well but it severely degrades the hdr quality, it almost looks identical to the sdr on the same disc, just slightly better. When you see the hdr from the blu ray playing in the preview window when you press the home button, you can see the hdr in its full glory, how it is supposed to look, but once you go back to full screen, you will notice something like a layer was put on top of the picture or something, and thats actually the conversion to 4:2:0. Seeing as the xbox has the ability to display the 4:4:4 in the preview window, I'm very dissapointed that microsoft hasn't looked into this or tried to change it. Using the xbox one s for the hdr in 4k blu rays is a huge dissapointment, it greatly negates the effect of hdr and to be honest, it pretty much kills the idea of the xbox one s being a primary 4k blu ray player. The netflix hdr has issues on xbox one s, everyone knows that by now, but with the 4k blu ray playback, this is just unacceptable, I feel like Microsoft scammed consumers into buying the system, so dissapointed.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Turns out I found what the issue is after researching more and more and testing with another xbox as well. So the xbox one S 4k blu ray player isn't displaying 4k hdr blu rays to the nearest of its fullest potential, and thats by default. A big dissapointment with microsoft as I bought the console specifically for the 4k hdr blu ray playback and this is just something the xbox does. The issue is the chroma subsampling that the xbox one s outputs at. So viewing hdr in its full glory is seen in 4:4:4 chroma subsampling which most, if not all, stand alone 4k blu ray players support. What the xbox does is automatically convert the 24p 4:4:4 signal to a 60p 4:2:0 signal :mad: I'm assuming its because it has to run an entire interface for the system as well but it severely degrades the hdr quality, it almost looks identical to the sdr on the same disc, just slightly better. When you see the hdr from the blu ray playing in the preview window when you press the home button, you can see the hdr in its full glory, how it is supposed to look, but once you go back to full screen, you will notice something like a layer was put on top of the picture or something, and thats actually the conversion to 4:2:0. Seeing as the xbox has the ability to display the 4:4:4 in the preview window, I'm very dissapointed that microsoft hasn't looked into this or tried to change it. Using the xbox one s for the hdr in 4k blu rays is a huge dissapointment, it greatly negates the effect of hdr and to be honest, it pretty much kills the idea of the xbox one s being a primary 4k blu ray player. The netflix hdr has issues on xbox one s, everyone knows that by now, but with the 4k blu ray playback, this is just unacceptable, I feel like Microsoft scammed consumers into buying the system, so dissapointed.
If true, this is extremely disappointing. I would like further confirmation on this, as I bought a Xbox One S specifically for playing HDR Blu-ray.

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
Matt McRae mentioned this during the HDR gaming uproar. He and his team thought that it was strange that MS chose that colorspace. I think it was geared toward gaming.

·
UHD Addict
38,378 Posts
I've never seen this effect with my XBOne S units. Like other devices, whether HDR with 444 or 420, the HDR picture looks just as vibrant on my Sony UHD TV.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've never seen this effect with my XBOne S units. Like other devices, whether HDR with 444 or 420, the HDR picture looks just as vibrant on my Sony UHD TV.
In regards to what matt mcrae mentioned before, it seems some specific manufacturers take the subsampling conversion into account and automatically corrects the picture. I've seen sony hdr tvs playing from the xbox one s and im sure they are one of those manufacturers. I guess that is what matt was saying in regards to them addressing this issue specifically for the xbox with the vizio p series. I'm assuming that if you press the home button and see the picture looking better from the preview window, then you are dealing with this issue with the xbox one s. If not, then it would be safe to assume that your tv manufacturer takes care of that problem. I'm sure sony does but not sure about all the others.

·
Registered
9 Posts
This is what Matt McRae from Vizio had to say about the issue mentioned

The second is 4:2:0 HDR10 which is manifesting itself on the Xbox. We were surprised that the Xbox would use the lower quality chroma output and at 60fps (as you know other sources chose better output formats). For instance, when you stream Netflix app the Xbox is actually converting 24p to 60p and outpouring it in 4:2:0. A rework to our HDR10 video pipeline is under way to handle this one format much better. The code is already working - saw it last week and it looks great. The code is being integrated into our main branch and will then go through regression testing before release. As part of this work we are separating the HDR10 PQ settings from DolbyVision - so when this code is released you will have 3 sub parts of each major PQ mode (SDR, HDR10, and DV) which was another request from several posters here on AVS.

As part of this release that includes the 4:4:4 and 4:2:0 HDR10 changes... we are working on further improvements to DolbyVision, set up experience, on screen menus, couple of remaining ACR updates and other general improvements.

So Vizio is one of the tv brands affected by this issue, and you can see the issue he has outlined can be applicable to any tv brand that doesn't automatically fix the conversion issue. Sony apparently does, you can see videos of the sony tvs running hdr from xbox one s off screen on youtube to see the difference, albeit not optimally since you need to be in person to see it. Not talking about colors specifically, but the overall hdr ability with the tv. Really dissapointed as it's not really the manufacturers issue but instead the xbox one s that is causing the original problem.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just updated my list of played Atmos/DTS:X discs with this one and had the same results:

The Martian - Extended - 4K UHD HDR + Atmos - Kept loosing audio sync during playback with bitsream enabled. Horribly, badly out of sync (RW/FF would fix for a bit but would start losing sync again). This playback was so bad I had to turn off bitstream for Bluray player and just use the 7.1 Uncompressed with whatever modifications the audio processing MSFT does and their effects. - Disc looks perfect.

MSFT needs to get this working I've got a 20 year old DVD player that can bitstream correctly, and so could Win95.
Just received my Martian ext edition and can confirm the exact same symptoms.

Denon x3300w passing xbox1s bitstreaming atmos beta. Turning off beta fixed it.

Such a shame coz it was sounding awesome before the lip syncing went crazy.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
61 Posts
I picked up the new Sony UBP-X800 UHD Blu-Ray player yesterday. Picture and sound quality are significantly better than Xbox One S for Blu-Ray and UHD Blu-Ray playback. You get 2 free UHD Blu-Ray movies with purchase. Since it was just released, all stores seem to have the same price... $298.00. Very happy now. Xbox One S will now be just for games.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Where did u pick yours? How does this compare with oppo? And is it DV upgradeable ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I bought the Sony UBP-X800 from Best Buy. It was in stock at a few Best Buys in San Diego. I can only compare to PS4 for BR and Xbox One S for BR and UHD BR. I find the picture very pleasing. On the AVS forum for UBP-X800, some folks are saying it is as good and some say color fidelity is better than Oppo. I am so far very happy with the purchase. The user interface isn't as nice as that on some of the previous Sony players where they use similar GUI as PlayStation. Hopefully they will update the GUI in future firmware revisions. Not sure when/if they will be providing Dolby Vision support. The mot recent firmware update added more apps.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Maybe this explains why watching UHD through the Xbone S doesn't "blow me away" compared to simply watching 1080p rips upscaled through madVR on PC. I already read elsewhere that the Xbone doesn't handle HDR correctly compared to the currently best stand alone players. So now it's screwing with the subsampling as well? I'm hard pressed to tell much of a difference in regards to HDR and WCG too. There are a few instances where it seems to be enhancing the picture to an infinitesimal degree, but it doesn't change the picture quality so much that it's noticeably better than 1080p upscaled. This is on an OLED too.

I bought the Sony UBP-X800 from Best Buy. It was in stock at a few Best Buys in San Diego. I can only compare to PS4 for BR and Xbox One S for BR and UHD BR. I find the picture very pleasing. On the AVS forum for UBP-X800, some folks are saying it is as good and some say color fidelity is better than Oppo. I am so far very happy with the purchase. The user interface isn't as nice as that on some of the previous Sony players where they use similar GUI as PlayStation. Hopefully they will update the GUI in future firmware revisions. Not sure when/if they will be providing Dolby Vision support. The mot recent firmware update added more apps.
Hmm, I might have to look into this player. Almost half as much as the Oppo, with a secondary HDMI audio out as well (one of the features I cared the most about).

edit: Reading that thread, I've only found a single post that claims it looks just as a good as the Oppo. Neither player is perfect. The Oppo apparently clips extreme whites and blacks, while the Sony player exaggerates color too much. DV might be a non issue for most, but it's something I'll have to consider, since I have a capable TV already. I'll also be needing to use the second HDMI audio out, and right now at least some seem to be having issues with various codecs, BD mix off or no. For the price right now though, the Sony seems to be the one to beat.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Before some days I wanted to test what colorspace/bit depth XBOX One S is outputting when you playback a Blu-Ray/UHD HDR/SDR Game, so I used HD Linker to check the details of each signal XBOX One S was sending to an LG OLED 65E6.

@ XBOX One S Video Settings, it has 2 options, the Recommended which output 16-235 (TV/Video Legal Levels), and the other for Monitor out which will output 0-255 (Pc/Data Levels).

The correct option there for TV's is the recommended.

When you playback an HDR UHD Movie then it's outputting always 2160p24 RGB-Video 10bit HDR REC.2020 (it doesn't matter if you have selected 10 or 12bit)
I have one Doubt, the RGB output says In color Space :RGB 16-235 Extended ITU R BT 2020. But shouldn't it be RGB 0-1023 ( Full range RBG 10 Bits) or even RGB 64-940 ( for limited range 10 Bits ??

Because those values 16-235 are for RCG 8 bits right? and UHD HDR movies are 10 bits!

So what im i missing?

Thanks

1701 - 1720 of 2588 Posts