AVS Forum banner

1761 - 1780 of 2588 Posts

·
UHD Addict
38,398 Posts
You really need hdr. The revenant uses natural lighting and the UHd hdr playback of it really highlights what hdr is capable of. But you should still be able to see the higher resolution details from close-ups and far away shots. If you are sitting close enough to your UHd TV. I sit four feet away from my 65" set when watching UHD BDs. And the resolution differences have been obvious on the titles I compared.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
I was very excited about purchasing The Revenant which I understood was filmed in 8k. I was eager about comparing it as of course the UHD comes with the blu ray too.
Approximately 13% of The Revenant was shot in 6.5K on the Alexa 65, with the remainder filmed in 3.4K on the Alexa XT and M cameras. The 3.4K footage was upscaled for the 4K DCP, so at least the final print of the film was finished with a fairly minimal upscale to achieve 4K. Most UHD discs generate their 4K file from a significantly lower resolution 2K DCP, so The Revenant should, despite being an upscale, look better than those sourced from lower resolution sources.

·
Registered
10 Posts
thanks to both for the input - I will try again in better lighting conditions. I sit about 6ft away I would estimate from the screen.

I checked my xbox settings and everything looked fine that end. Outputting at 2160p according to the TV, set to 4k resolution and the colour at 10bit which my screen is.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
I sit 1.5 feet from my TV so I can notice the difference, I also had the doctor shave a very thin layer of my eyeballs so I can benefit from HDR.

I also have ear extenders that makes me look like a monkey so I can enjoy Dolby Atmos.

I thank the TV industry lots for bringing me such stunning new technology that justifies the extravagant prices I paid for this stuff.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I sit 1.5 feet from my TV so I can notice the difference, I also had the doctor shave a very thin layer of my eyeballs so I can benefit from HDR.

I also have ear extenders that makes me look like a monkey so I can enjoy Dolby Atmos.

I thank the TV industry lots for bringing me such stunning new technology that justifies the extravagant prices I paid for this stuff.
If you have nothing to do contribute then just keep your trolling away

·
Registered
203 Posts
There is a lot of incorrect info in this post im afraid. For the 4:4:4 part as already stated the HDMI 2.0a/b as the limitation on only outputting 4:2:0 at 60FPS 4k. So the Xbox is doing exactly what she can do. 24p 4k 60fps at 4:2:0. So far so good.

Now the second part that you mention:

"When you see the hdr from the blu ray playing in the preview window when you press the home button, you can see the hdr in its full glory, how it is supposed to look, but once you go back to full screen, you will notice something like a layer was put on top of the picture or something, and thats actually the conversion to 4:2:0.",

Thats completely wrong, what is happening is actually very simple. When you press the home button and see the movie inside the Xbox system window, the colours default to the system color space that is SWG rec 709, but when you put the movie in full screen it switch back to the correct color space for HDR , WCG and rec 2020.

Its very easy to test, just go to your xbox settings and uncheck HDR. Then try the UHD bluray again, and you will see that the colours wont change at all, between the system and full screen. So there is no 4:2:0 conversion. Its only color spaces working out.

I´m not a big fan of HDR because it always looks a bit dim compared to SDR, that's why a lot of people use Dynamic rage at Low or medium to compensate that ( including me)
Someone on the KS8000 thread said I should use the 8 bit setting on the Xbox one s vs the 10 bit I selected since my tv is hdr10. He said if I play an hdr10 video it'll automatically kick in to 10 bit. Then some Mumbo jumbo. I don't get it all. I just want the best picture. Do you or anyone know what settings I should use in the Xbox one s? All I have is straight hookup with the 2.0 hdmi cables. No receiver and the ks8000 4ktv. Thanks!

·
UHD Addict
38,398 Posts
Someone on the KS8000 thread said I should use the 8 bit setting on the Xbox one s vs the 10 bit I selected since my tv is hdr10. He said if I play an hdr10 video it'll automatically kick in to 10 bit. Then some Mumbo jumbo. I don't get it all. I just want the best picture. Do you or anyone know what settings I should use in the Xbox one s? All I have is straight hookup with the 2.0 hdmi cables. No receiver and the ks8000 4ktv. Thanks!
I have it set fro 10 bit and have not had any issues with that. But I am using my XBOne S with a Sony UHD TV.

·
Registered
788 Posts
According to ConnecTeddd:

12bit for SDR Blu-Ray
12bit for HDR UHD Movies (It will output 10bit)
12bit for HDR Games
8bit for SDR Games

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-b...lu-ray-player-aug-2016-a-54.html#post50740945

But this is for an OLED, not sure if it applies on a Samsung...

·
Registered
90 Posts
What am I doing wrong

I have a Denon 4300H and a Xbox One S connected with HDMI. I switched the audio output in the Xbox to Bitstream but I am not getting DTS Master to show up on my Denon. The receiver says Dolby Digital? I made sure DTS master was selected in the setup portion of the movie. I tried both the 4K version of Lego movie and Joy but no luck.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I have a Denon 4300H and a Xbox One S connected with HDMI. I switched the audio output in the Xbox to Bitstream but I am not getting DTS Master to show up on my Denon. The receiver says Dolby Digital? I made sure DTS master was selected in the setup portion of the movie. I tried both the 4K version of Lego movie and Joy but no luck.
In audio settings you set to either 5.1 or 7.1 uncompressed

Go to the Blu Ray setting in there will be an option to allow the receiver to decode audio

·
Registered
866 Posts
On my Xbox I select Bitstream
On the Blu-Ray Title screen, I select DTS MA English.

Is that what you mean? If so its not working.
Go to the settings on your Xbox there are settings for audio - the screen where you chose bitstream should be set to 5.1 or 7.1 uncompressed and there is a separate setting for disc / blu ray

·
Registered
90 Posts
Go to the settings on your Xbox there are settings for audio - the screen where you chose bitstream should be set to 5.1 or 7.1 uncompressed and there is a separate setting for disc / blu ray
Ok I switched it to 5.1 uncompressed and now my Denon says Multi Channel In.

Under the Disc and Blu-Ray setting I just have the options for Dynamic Range control and some language options.

1761 - 1780 of 2588 Posts