AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping someone can help me out with some AUDIO settings since the latest Xbox One system update (March 2014 - released on 03/05).

Here is my setup:

Xbox One (HDMI OUT) connected via HDMI to Denon 3311ci (HDMI 5 - Game)

Denon 3311ci (Monitor 1) connected via HDMI to Panasonic Plasma (HDMI 1)

**5.1 Surround Sound System**

With the recent system update, I have the following HDMI DIGITAL AUDIO options to choose from :

STEREO

5.1 UNCOMPRESSED

7.1 UNCOMPRESSED

BITSTREAM OUT

If I choose BITSTREAM OUT, I have the following two options:

DTS DIGITAL SURROUND

DOLBY DIGITAL

It's obvious with my 5.1 Surround Sound System, my choices should be 5.1 UNCOMPRESSED or BITSTREAM OUT (DTS DIGITAL SURROUND or DOLBY DIGITAL).

Which option (best option) should I be choosing to achieve the best possible sound for my 5.1 Surround Sound System?

I notice that if I choose 5.1 UNCOMPRESSED, the display on the Denon 3311ci shows MULTI CH IN. If I choose BITSTREAM OUT, the display on the Denon 3311ci shows DOLBY DIGITAL (if selected) or DTS SURROUND (if selected).

Is BITSTREAM OUT a better choice over 5.1 UNCOMPRESSED? Why does choosing 5.1 UNCOMPRESSED result in the Denon 3311ci display showing MULTI CHANNEL IN?

I will also be using my Xbox One for playing blu-ray DVD's.

Thanks for educating me and offering up any advice

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
You should set the output to 5.1 Uncompressed otherwise everything is being converted to Dolby Digital or DTS. In the case of movies in particular, you don't want HD audio being converted to another format. If you use uncompressed (PCM) your receiver will get the mix exactly as it exists on the disc (obviously what you hear depends on your speakers, environment, etc.).

Multi-Channel Input is what you should see because the stream is already uncompressed. The receiver has no way of knowing what the source was on the disc and it doesn't change the quality in the slightest. In fact, some might argue that using M.Channel Input prevents most receiver post-processing that could distort or alter the sound and in that way it is more true to the source material.

·
Registered
8 Posts
You might want to give this article a read:

http://www.engadget.com/2008/01/22/how-to-actually-use-dolby-truehd-and-dts-hd/

I think c.kingsley has it reversed. If it were me, I would set it to bitstream. Let's say you are watching a bluray movie with Dolby TrueHD sound. If you choose "uncompressed", the Xbox One will decode the Dolby TrueHD signal and then send the uncompressed audio to your Denon AVR. If you choose bitstream, your Xbox One will just pass on the Dolby TrueHD signal to your AVR (exactly the way it is on the disc) and your AVR will then do the decoding. In both cases you would be hearing full quality lossless audio. If you had an older AVR that wasn't capable of decoding the new HD codecs (Dolby TrueHD & DTS-HD Master Audio), then you would definitely want to set the Xbox One to "uncompressed". But your AVR can decode these codecs, and so I think it makes more sense to allow it to. Here are the advantages:

1. The AVR will display which audio codec is being used. When you have the Xbox One set to uncompressed, it will decode the audio on the Xbox One and then send the uncompressed audio to your AVR. Your AVR doesn't know whether this uncompressed audio stream was decoded from Dolby Digital, DTS, Dolby TrueHD, or DTS-HD Master Audio. That's why the receiver just says "multi channel in". But if you choose bitstream and allow your AVR to do the decoding, the AVR will tell you explicitly what codec it is processing. Here is why this could matter. Lots of blu-ray discs have multiple audio formats to choose from. If your Xbox One is set to "uncompressed", you might mistakenly have an inferior audio format selected, but would not be made aware of this by your AVR's display.

2. From the article: "advantage to decoding in the AV receiver is that you usually have access to more advanced sound processing. While equipment varies, in most cases the only way to take advantage of the auto level and delay adjustments is to decode in the AV receiver."

·
Registered
16,590 Posts
Pull n Pray,

That is only accurate if the source device is sending the HD bitstream, I do not think the Xone does so at this time.

Jason

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
The Xbox one cannot send the HD codecs via bitstream. PCM is the only way currently to get HD audio.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok. I'm a bit confused now. Sorry. Would PCM be the same as 5.1 Uncompressed? What would / should be the correct setting?

5.1 Uncompressed or Bitstream Out (DTS Dolby Surround / Dolby Digital)

I appreciate the info.

·
Registered
347 Posts
If you only want to play video games then use bit stream. Select Dolby digital and leave it alone. If you select bit stream, your AVR will decode the signal and process the sound properly. Using the built-in DAC's in your AVR is always better to use than the built-in DAC's in the Xbox One.

·
Registered
347 Posts
If you plan on watching Blu-ray movies then use 5.1 PCM uncompressed. This will force the Xbox to decode the audio and send to your AVR as a PCM. By doing that you will need to increase the LFE channel up 10db to offset lower bass.

·
UHD Addict
38,377 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBlow74  /t/1521129/xbox-one-system-update-march-2014-display-sound-settings#post_24444504

If you only want to play video games then use bit stream. Select Dolby digital and leave it alone. If you select bit stream, your AVR will decode the signal and process the sound properly. Using the built-in DAC's in your AVR is always better to use than the built-in DAC's in the Xbox One.

The video games have high quality audio. By sending out lossy DTS/DD you decrease the audio quality. PCM output gives you the best audio quality from the video games. PCM is digital. The XBOne is not converting the content to analog. The receiver is still converting the digital content to analog for you to listen to. DAC(Digital-to-Analog Converter). Bitstreaming or PCM output has nothing to do with a DAC. They are both still digital.

·
Registered
8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggShooter  /t/1521129/xbox-one-system-update-march-2014-display-sound-settings#post_24444418

Ok. I'm a bit confused now. Sorry. Would PCM be the same as 5.1 Uncompressed? What would / should be the correct setting?

5.1 Uncompressed or Bitstream Out (DTS Dolby Surround / Dolby Digital)

I appreciate the info.

If Jason and mbyrnes are right about the capabilities of the Xbox One (and I have no reason to think they aren't right except that it seems like a misnomer for Microsoft to call this setting "bitstream" if it is actually transcoding much of the time), then you should definitely have yours set to uncompressed. And yes, this is the same as PCM in this context. I don't own an Xbox One myself.

Sorry for causing confusion!

·
Registered
2,047 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull n Pray  /t/1521129/xbox-one-system-update-march-2014-display-sound-settings#post_24444553

If Jason and mbyrnes are right about the capabilities of the Xbox One (and I have no reason to think they aren't right except that it seems like a misnomer for Microsoft to call this setting "bitstream" if it is actually transcoding much of the time), then you should definitely have yours set to uncompressed. And yes, this is the same as PCM in this context. I don't own an Xbox One myself.

Sorry for causing confusion!
It's not a misnomer because it is technically bitstreaming. The difference is that the original audio has been remixed into DD or DTS and so it is no longer true to the source material. At this time PCM (uncompressed) is the best setting for all material, including games.

·
UHD Addict
38,377 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGamePimp  /t/1521129/xbox-one-system-update-march-2014-display-sound-settings#post_24444195

Pull n Pray,

That is only accurate if the source device is sending the HD bitstream, I do not think the Xone does so at this time.

Jason

The XBOne decodes everything first. Whether legacy DD/DTS or one of the advanced audio codecs. Then it mixes in it's own audio and then either sends it out as PCM or it encodes it to lossy DD/DTS. No matter what you choose for output, the XBOne is still decoding any compressed audio first before mixing in it own sounds. It is not directly bitstreaming the content.

Assuming your receiver can handle multi-channel PCM. teh only time you would want to select DD or DTS bitstreaming would be when the original content is DD or DTS. Like from a cbale box with the HDMI input or from a streaming app like Amazon. Otherwise the quality is being decreased by using legacy DD/DTS for output. The video games have high quality audio as do the blu-ray Discs. And the streaming apps like Netflix and Vudu also have content with DD+ which is a lossy advanced codec.

Reactions: The Outcast

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
After changing to Dolby Digital and bitstream in my HDMI settings, my DirecTV finally shows a 5.1 signal via Xbox One.

But I am not sold (and haven't done any tests) that I am actually getting the 5.1 feed.

Something tells me Xbox One is doing the same send the stereo signal but light up all the channels it did with the LPCM mode.

I should know better tonight when I do the test.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Schiller  /t/1521129/xbox-one-system-update-march-2014-display-sound-settings#post_24446441

After changing to Dolby Digital and bitstream in my HDMI settings, my DirecTV finally shows a 5.1 signal via Xbox One.

But I am not sold (and haven't done any tests) that I am actually getting the 5.1 feed.

Something tells me Xbox One is doing the same send the stereo signal but light up all the channels it did with the LPCM mode.

I should know better tonight when I do the test.

Have you gone into TV Settings>Troubleshooting>Enable Surround Sound as well?

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
No, I'll check it.

That is why I have a problem with both PS4 and Xbone's audio methods.

I don't want to have to tell Xbox I want surround sound, just give me the direct bitstream and let my receiver decode whatever it gets.

For all I know, Xbox will matrix its stereo signal because it needs to add its own beeps and whistles to my stream.

·
UHD Addict
38,377 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Schiller  /t/1521129/xbox-one-system-update-march-2014-display-sound-settings#post_24446833

No, I'll check it.

That is why I have a problem with both PS4 and Xbone's audio methods.

I don't want to have to tell Xbox I want surround sound, just give me the direct bitstream and let my receiver decode whatever it gets.

For all I know, Xbox will matrix its stereo signal because it needs to add its own beeps and whistles to my stream.

At least the XBOne gives you the option to select 7.1, 5.1, and 2.0 output. The PS4 does not give you that option, unless something has changed recently since I haven't turned my PS4 on this week.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80  /t/1521129/xbox-one-system-update-march-2014-display-sound-settings#post_24446707

Have you gone into TV Settings>Troubleshooting>Enable Surround Sound as well?

This worked.

Thanks.

My receiver showed 5.1 Dolby both ways but not until I made the change in the Troubleshooting (never thought to look there before), did I get true 5.1.

Thanks.

·
Registered
499 Posts
So reading this thread has made me assume if I play games first and randomly watch netflix/amazon I should have it on 5.1 uncompressed/dolby digital and NOT bitstream for my Denon 2112CI?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts