1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Denon AVR-x7200wa Xbox1X and Oppo 205 No Dolby Atmos from disc problem

I have a Denon AVR-x7200wa.
My system is 5.1 speakers and a Pioneer Kuro 1080p
Both the Oppo 205 and the Xbox1x are behaving the same way with the receiver.
Dolby Atmos refuses to engage.

If the Xbox1x plays a game or a netflix video with Atmos, the receiver shows that its receiving Atmos
Perfect!
If I play “any” 4K Blu-ray Disc, the receiver shows Dolby HD + “symbol”S :confused:
This also includes the recent REM audio disc.

I got frustratated with the xbox and dumped cash on an Oppo 205
Imagine my surprise to be confronted with the same bloody problem.
I’ve tried swithing out the HDMI cables, ran HDMI audio only to the receiver and video directly to the Kuro

I’m now trying to figure out if maybe:
1. My older TV with HDMI 1 is not allowing for Atmos from a disc.
2. My 5.1 speaker set up is not allowing for Atmos from a disc
3. The Dolby Atmos signal is brought via the Dolby TrueHD. So does this mean it won’t show on the receiver as Atmos?
Audio from Oppo will show as TrueHD. Receiver should show as Dolby Atmos

I’ve read the formums a bit and someone mentioned enabling height speakers. I’ll give that a try tomorrow. I did try setting up my speakers manually and did notice some configurations that were specifically for Atmos but that didn’t fix anything.

Maybe run the audio using optical or coax? Can Atmos flow over optical?

Any other suggestions?

From the Denon Manual:
Dolby Atmos Stream
Dolby Atmos content will be delivered to your Dolby Atmos enabled AV receiver via Dolby Digital Plus or Dolby TrueHD on Blu-ray Disc, downloadable files and streaming media. A Dolby Atmos stream contains special metadata that describes the positioning of sounds within the room. This object audio data is decoded by a Dolby Atmos AV receiver and scaled for optimum playback through Home Theater speaker systems of every size and configuration.

·
Registered
191 Posts
The Denon shows Dolby Atmos and it sounds awesome for the Dolby Atmos demos and “Insects” and games.
I havent tried Netflix yet.
Every 4k Ultra Blu-ray Disc I try with Atmos fails to play in Atmos.
The Denon display Dolby Digital plus.

Has anyone managed to play a Blu-ray Disc and know for sure they were getting Dolby Atmos to the receiver?
As of Jan 22, 2018 is the Microsoft Blu-ray app still broken?
Are there any alternative disc player apps, or is there a way around the issue?

Thanks
TrevEB
In the Settings area of the Xbox, there is a specific tile for Blu-Ray, in there you have to specify to bitstream in Atmos. This is different than the system setting for Atmos. Works great.

·
Registered
6,612 Posts
The Denon shows Dolby Atmos and it sounds awesome for the Dolby Atmos demos and “Insects” and games.
I havent tried Netflix yet.
Every 4k Ultra Blu-ray Disc I try with Atmos fails to play in Atmos.
The Denon display Dolby Digital plus.

Has anyone managed to play a Blu-ray Disc and know for sure they were getting Dolby Atmos to the receiver?
As of Jan 22, 2018 is the Microsoft Blu-ray app still broken?
Are there any alternative disc player apps, or is there a way around the issue?

Thanks
TrevEB
I'm getting ATMOS from Bluray, 4K/UHD's, XBO Games with ATMOS audio and 4K Netflix titles with ATMOS

For disc playback all you need is the Bluray media player app and the Dolby Access App

Bluray player settings

Dolby Access is required for Netflix Atmos requirements

Sound settings must be set to Bitstream, and Dolby Atmos for Home Theater. (HDMI only)

I don't have a Denon, so not sure what setting is required for ATMOS audio.

My Yamaha RX-A3050 will play 7.1.4 ATMOS titles in "Straight" mode,
But it still works set on Dolby Surround (aka DSU up-mixer) ...that also up-mixes all non-ATMOS titles to 7.1.4, so I just leave it on that.

·
Registered
12,310 Posts
I'm getting ATMOS from Bluray, 4K/UHD's, XBO Games with ATMOS audio and 4K Netflix titles with ATMOS

For disc playback all you need is the Bluray media player app and the Dolby Access App,
Sound settings must be set to Bitstream, and Dolby Atmos for Home Theater. (HDMI only)
For disc playback, there is a separate settings for it. Set it to bitstream in BluRay settings. No Dolby Atmos app needed.

No luck yet.
Netflix works correctly.
So its strictly the blu-ray app.
I’m going to try deleting it and reinstalling.
BluRay app has its own bitstream setting in 'Disc & Blu-Ray' section, not related to system audio settings. You need to check the box 'Let my receiver decode audio'. But there are reports that a lot of ppl have trouble getting Atmos from UHD discs even with it checked, some kind of bug in the software that MS hasn't be able to patch yet.

·
Registered
273 Posts
No luck yet.
Netflix works correctly.
So its strictly the blu-ray app.
I’m going to try deleting it and reinstalling.
If you are using a 4k tv, go into the xbox setting change from 4k to 1080p. Then go back to the audio and pick Dolby atmos for home theater,once you do that it should stay at the dolby atmos for home theater setting. Then go back and change the xbox from 1080p back to 4k.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
SOLVED!!!
In Denon setup under speakers
choose manual
Set up for atmos speaker arrangement.
Set up your speakers. The height speakers will be off set then to small only setting available

Thats it.
The HT speakers set to off was causing discs to not play in Atmos.

·
Registered
744 Posts
For disc playback, there is a separate settings for it. Set it to bitstream in BluRay settings. No Dolby Atmos app needed.

BluRay app has its own bitstream setting in 'Disc & Blu-Ray' section, not related to system audio settings. You need to check the box 'Let my receiver decode audio'. But there are reports that a lot of ppl have trouble getting Atmos from UHD discs even with it checked, some kind of bug in the software that MS hasn't be able to patch yet.
I get Atmos from Atmos tracks either way with my Samsung K950 bar. If the box is checked and the soundtrack is not Atmos then Atmos is not received by the K950 (has a blue light for Atmos). However, if the box is unchecked, all content is converted to Atmos (blue light) assumably via the Dolby Access app. When on this setting the upmixed (DTS-HD) in this case is close enough to the Atmos track that one wonders if the Atmos track may be converted to fake Atmos.:confused: Does anyone know what the Dolby Access app is up to? One wonders what would happen with a DTS-X disc on this setting. Would a conversion from DTS-X to Atmos be possible or worthwhile? (Worthwhile as my Soundbar won't accept DTS-X)

·
Registered
12,310 Posts
Not exactly. The Dolby Access app can indeed convert any LPCM 5.1/7.1 into fake Atmos track. But if you have a true Atmos track on UHD disc, the conversion to LPCM lost all the object based ATMOS information. All you ended up with is the fake Atmos that is up converted. You can not retain original object based information once it is decoded into LPCM.

This is similar to you use Dolby PLIIx to upconvert from 2-ch stereo to 5.1/7.1 or 5.1 to 7.1. Not the same thing as original 5.1 or 7.1 discrete track.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you have check the bluray option to bypass the xbox x sound directly to the receiver (in this case, any other xbox sound setting will not affect the bluray player) and you always get TrueHD on your receiver when you select the dolby atmos track, it s possible it s was just a signal/sound mode missmatch.

I have a denon 2400h, and for an unknow reason, since the last xbox update, I lost the atmos and get only TrueHD. I read a lot about that, and start to check more my setup.

As the dolby atmos/truehd was on the same track, if you switch the sound mode on the denon (probably true for other avs), you can restore the right sound mode. Never found it in the menu how to switch that, only the color bottons on the remote (green, red, blue and yellow). The yellow allow to set the direct auto sound, and fit the source signal with the right mode (check the online manuel, there is a array to know all mode possible for each signal). After I did it, all bluray play correctly the atmos. If you press Info, you could see the signal and the sound mode selected. In this case, it should be atmos/atmos.

If you never used this buttons, each time you press, you cycle the sound mode. You could set 3 different sound mode, and the yellow it s only for the direct sound.

The last xbox update seem to have fix the atmos in game. More stable sure, but I continue to lost the sound sometime. I just swicth my avs on any other input, and come back on the xbox input and the sound restart.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
93 Posts
The same thing happened to me, I was getting Atmos from games and Netflix, but not from 4K Blu-ray movies.

For Blu-ray Discs, you need to tell your AV receiver you’re using the height speakers, even if you’re not using them. That way it will use the Atmos track, otherwise you’re stuck with Dolby TrueHD.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having a similar issue. My Xbox One X will not play Atmos using the Blu Ray but will play Atmos playing games or using the Atmos app. My receiver is a Onkyo TX-RZ900 and I have Atmos speakers that are enabled. Thank you!

·
Registered
455 Posts
I have the Denon x4400h. In my experience, last week I tried out the Scorpio for Atmos Blu-ray vs my Sony x800. It said my receiver could not decode the audio, until I restarted the Xbox. Afterwards, it works fine. I get Atmos from Blu-ray.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Under the system audio settings I select Atmos and when I'm playing Atmos the xbox one s bitstreams atmos.

If I then play 5.1 or 7.1 soundtrack the xbox sends multichannel LPCM!!!! But if select 5.1 or 7.1 in system settings it will again bitstream.

Is there a way to the xbox to bitstream all audio signals?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not exactly. The Dolby Access app can indeed convert any LPCM 5.1/7.1 into fake Atmos track. But if you have a true Atmos track on UHD disc, the conversion to LPCM lost all the object based ATMOS information. All you ended up with is the fake Atmos that is up converted. You can not retain original object based information once it is decoded into LPCM.

This is similar to you use Dolby PLIIx to upconvert from 2-ch stereo to 5.1/7.1 or 5.1 to 7.1. Not the same thing as original 5.1 or 7.1 discrete track.

The difference is quite apparent.
My Denon 2400H has Atmos but i don't have Atmos (upfiring) speakers.
The UHD disc plays a fake Atmos if i uncheck the setting in Xbox (Let amplifier etc...). The bass and sound itself is just less apparent.
If i check the box and let my amplifier do the decoding i get Dolby True HD and loose the Dolby Atmos track but it sounds just better for me.

Does anyone know which Dolby track is used to create the fake Dolby atmos track on the Xbox?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am having a similar issue. My Xbox One X will not play Atmos using the Blu Ray but will play Atmos playing games or using the Atmos app. My receiver is a Onkyo TX-RZ900 and I have Atmos speakers that are enabled. Thank you!

I have handshake issues with the same receiver and my Xbox One X. Can you please tell me what brand hdmi cable you are using?

·
Registered
590 Posts
Any of you having issues playing Rampage on the X?
I've got all the issues mentioned in this thread:
- Console saying my receiver does not support Atmos: have to turn off the Denon 4300H, start the movie again, restart the Denon.
- Losing audio (currently on Shadow of the tomb raider): have to restart the game.
- Currently i bought Rampage. Was getting too watch it: four times the movie got 'skating' in different parts of the movie and the disk making weird sounds. Put another disk and all fine. Anyone with this movie?

I have handshake issues with the same receiver and my Xbox One X....

Nope. Looking for the same!

Does anyone know which Dolby track is used to create the fake Dolby atmos track on the Xbox?

Under the system audio settings I select Atmos and when I'm playing Atmos the xbox one s bitstreams atmos....

I have the Denon x4400h. It said my receiver could not decode the audio, ...

I am having a similar issue. ...

The same thing happened to me...

If you have check the bluray option to bypass the xbox x sound directly to the receiver ...

Not exactly...

I get Atmos ...

SOLVED!!!

Following this thread for future reference.

If you are ...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts