AVS Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
I don’t have Rampage.

The first time I started Shadow of the Tomb Raider, it had no audio. I had to restart it. But after that, 3 other times I’ve played it, it has been fine.

My Atmos problem wasn’t an issue of the Xbox One X, but rather my receiver, I only have a 5.1 system. So my receiver didn’t played the Atmos track. I had to tell my receiver I had two more speakers connected, in order to play the Atmos track.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Xbox one Dolby access app home theater is a FAKE Atmos. i have atmos media files and DTSX and Netflix. In netflix not all movies are atmos but yet it plays all netflix movies in atmos signal on my receiver. i played a DTSX movie file and still it sends atmos signal on my receiver, i played a regular DTS movie file and still it send atmos signal on my receiver and i also did play a regular DTS movie file and still sends atmos signal on my receiver. But when i use my HTPC and Nvidia Shield with the same movie files it sends the correct signal if its in DTSX or Atmos or DTS only. And the sound can be distinguished if its real of fake. XBOX Dolby access is FAKE Atmos. It does not allow real original audio HDMI pass through. Xbox Dolby access sends FAKE ATMOS signal.

My HTPC windows 10 with Nvidia GTX1050 HDMI sends correct pass through signal even without Dolby access app. So why can't microsoft fix Xbox to send REAL pass through signals? its 2019 already Atmos has been around for half a decade already and its still an issue.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
This week I received an update to the Dolby app. Does anyone know what the update did?

·
Registered
26 Posts
XBOX Dolby access is FAKE Atmos. It does not allow real original audio HDMI pass through.
I don't know that I would call it fake but when Atmos is selected in the Xbox settings all output is placed into an Atmos wrapper. If the content you are playing (certain Netflix or Prime titles) has Atmos audio you should get all the channels. If the content does not have Atmos the Xbox sends out empty height channels.

The problem with this is that your receiver won't up mix the non Atmos titles because it is already getting every channel (even though there's no information in some of them).

The only Atmos games I have are Rise of the Tomb Raider and GoW 4 so I set the Xbox 2 Atmos when playing them. Otherwise I leave it on bitstream DTS. When I play a Blu-Ray or Plex Media with Atmos the Xbox bitstreams properly and my receiver shows Atmos.

I'm happy enough with the neural-x up mix on streaming content. It's not worth the trouble to go into the Xbox settings whenever I want to stream something that has Atmos, in large part because I have to do a search for which media has Atmos anyway. As an example, season 2 of Jessica Jones has Atmos but season 1 doesn't. They both show 5.1 on the title/info page.

Like everyone else I wish there was a different implementation but I'm not sure what that would be. The bitstream option lets apps override the bitstream format that you choose. Blu-ray app and Plex do this. I imagine none of the streaming apps ever will.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
576 Posts
Usually Dolby app updates are in-app content, like adding or replacing demo material.

Nothing has changed in mine in like over a year, that’s with multiple app upgrades. Is this the same for everyone or is something up with mine? Would love to see more atmos trailers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
233 Posts
I don’t have Rampage.

My Atmos problem wasn’t an issue of the Xbox One X, but rather my receiver, I only have a 5.1 system. So my receiver didn’t played the Atmos track. I had to tell my receiver I had two more speakers connected, in order to play the Atmos track.
Curious: what's the benefit of doing this? Wouldn't you want the 5.1 uncompressed PCM output for your 5.1 system?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Curious: what's the benefit of doing this? Wouldn't you want the 5.1 uncompressed PCM output for your 5.1 system?
No benefit at all, I just wanted to make sure it worked, before buying the two other speakers. And wanted to see how it sounded, and it does sound better.

But I’m not getting the two extra speakers anyway, since I stopped buying 4K Blu-ray’s, they look like crap downconverted to SDR. So, I only have about 5 BD’s with Atmos track. I’ll wait a few years to see if they’re even making them anymore.

·
Registered
21 Posts
If you have check the bluray option to bypass the xbox x sound directly to the receiver (in this case, any other xbox sound setting will not affect the bluray player) and you always get TrueHD on your receiver when you select the dolby atmos track, it s possible it s was just a signal/sound mode missmatch.

I have a denon 2400h, and for an unknow reason, since the last xbox update, I lost the atmos and get only TrueHD. I read a lot about that, and start to check more my setup.

As the dolby atmos/truehd was on the same track, if you switch the sound mode on the denon (probably true for other avs), you can restore the right sound mode. Never found it in the menu how to switch that, only the color bottons on the remote (green, red, blue and yellow). The yellow allow to set the direct auto sound, and fit the source signal with the right mode (check the online manuel, there is a array to know all mode possible for each signal). After I did it, all bluray play correctly the atmos. If you press Info, you could see the signal and the sound mode selected. In this case, it should be atmos/atmos.

If you never used this buttons, each time you press, you cycle the sound mode. You could set 3 different sound mode, and the yellow it s only for the direct sound.

The last xbox update seem to have fix the atmos in game. More stable sure, but I continue to lost the sound sometime. I just swicth my avs on any other input, and come back on the xbox input and the sound restart.

Hope this helps
Super old bump.. but MAN this has been bothering me for like a YEAR. I couldn't figure out how to get the actual ATMOS track playing from my Xbox One X to my Denon AVR3500H. It worked initially perfect.. and I wonder if I pushed the yellow button at some point and messed it up. I tried what you said today and it worked like a charm.

I've been living with fake upmixed Atmos for a year or more! Ugh. Thank you person who only posted once but saved my day.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I checked Disney + last night, and watched Star Wars Episode 4, Wall-E and Mandolorian, it appears Atmos is working ,albeit quality of sound is weak.

I confirmed on the Dolby app that upmix is turned off, and it's clear to me when I put my ears to the high speakers, the audio is moving from one speaker to another.

Can someone confirm?

·
Registered
170 Posts
I checked Disney + last night, and watched Star Wars Episode 4, Wall-E and Mandolorian, it appears Atmos is working ,albeit quality of sound is weak.

I confirmed on the Dolby app that upmix is turned off, and it's clear to me when I put my ears to the high speakers, the audio is moving from one speaker to another.

Can someone confirm?
would love to know if Disney+ is actual atmos on the xbone as well. I've tried googling it multiple times and nothing recent comes up, just stuff from back in nov when it came out and wasn't apparently working correctly. Once i know it's working i'll probably finally sign up for it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Check out Toy Story 4 minute 14:38 with Woody in the bagpack and parents voice fires up front and Bonnie's voice and zipper fires off on the heights speakers.

Toy Story 4 has many Atmos moments throughout.

·
Registered
39 Posts
i have a receiver that can do 2 Atmos speakers, but this thread is talking me out of using them and just doing 7.2 for the time being instead haha.

I don't need another headache of installing 2 ceiling speakers and going crazy trying to figure out if they're working or not.

Ignorance (and 7.2) is bliss, for now haha.

·
Registered
346 Posts
To warm up this thread, I just had the same issue.
To solve it, I had to press the Movie button on the Denon remote and select Dolby Atmos/Surround. It was previously set to "Dolby TrueHD + Neural-X"

21 - 34 of 34 Posts