AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, just purchased a new HDTV and wanted the best picture/sound from my XBOX so I bought the monster Gamelink 400 component video cables. On the cable itself is an output jack for connecting a digital optical audio cable to connect with an AV receiver. I tried using my own Acoustic Research optical cable but it doesn't fit at all and keeps slipping out.

On the Monster site they sell an optical cable with a specific adapter, one end plugs into the monster gamelink cable, the other end is a standard toslink connector.

Has anyone found another adapter that will work with this setup? If so where did you get it and what is it called? I really don't want to eat the $20 I spent on this Acoustic Research cable just to buy the specific Monster optical cable.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I'd take the Monster cable back and just use the included component AV cables (assuming you bought XBox 360 Premium). It accepts a standard TOSLINK cable, mine fit securely without any issues. If you're concerned about image quality, try a side by side comparison between the Microsoft cables and Monster, I'd be really surprised if you could spot any difference...

·
Registered
461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtorz21
OK, just purchased a new HDTV and wanted the best picture/sound from my XBOX so I bought the monster Gamelink 400 component video cables. On the cable itself is an output jack for connecting a digital optical audio cable to connect with an AV receiver. I tried using my own Acoustic Research optical cable but it doesn't fit at all and keeps slipping out.

On the Monster site they sell an optical cable with a specific adapter, one end plugs into the monster gamelink cable, the other end is a standard toslink connector.

Has anyone found another adapter that will work with this setup? If so where did you get it and what is it called? I really don't want to eat the $20 I spent on this Acoustic Research cable just to buy the specific Monster optical cable.
I seem to remember it being toslink on one end, a cheap radioshack toslink on the end that goes into the monster should work, looks like a plastic headphone jack.

press release mentions it:
http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache...er+cable&hl=en

monster www site:
http://www.monstercable.com/monstergame/xbox360/

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
still not getting sound...

i bought a toslink to miniplug adapter from radishack and that didnt even fit into the output jack on the monster cable

if anyone has gotten the gamelink400 for xbox to work with a regular optical cable can you please tell me how you did it... specifically what adapter you used and where you bought it.... i really dont want to buy the monster optical cable just to get the adapter

·
Registered
461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtorz21
still not getting sound...

i bought a toslink to miniplug adapter from radishack and that didnt even fit into the output jack on the monster cable

if anyone has gotten the gamelink400 for xbox to work with a regular optical cable can you please tell me how you did it... specifically what adapter you used and where you bought it.... i really dont want to buy the monster optical cable just to get the adapter

FIBER OPTIC DIGITAL AUDIO (NO VIDEO)

* Standard Fiber Optic/Toslink

* Includes mini-Toslink Adaptor (for connection into digital audio output jack found on all MonsterXbox 360 AV Connectors)

* Enables Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound when connected to AV receiver/processor

picture of mini-toslink monster version
http://www.monstercable.com/monstergame/xbox360/

Assuming you got the generic 'mini-toslink' adapter which looks like a cap with a miniplug

on the end. snap it on one end of the optical cable (remove clear plastic nub on the end if it has it) and put it the hole on the cable (see pic link) should work like theirs. If you can't do that, then you will need theirs. sorry.

·
Registered
416 Posts
is your a/v reciever set correct to output ditigal sound? most systems, you must tell it what you are using in relationship to what video...

example viedo 1 is using optical 1 instead of audio 1 (L/R)

·
Registered
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCon
I'd take the Monster cable back and just use the included component AV cables (assuming you bought XBox 360 Premium). It accepts a standard TOSLINK cable, mine fit securely without any issues. If you're concerned about image quality, try a side by side comparison between the Microsoft cables and Monster, I'd be really surprised if you could spot any difference...
I fully agree with this. And, if you bought it at a brick and mortar store you shouldn't have to eat any cost just return everything and use the cables that came with the 360 and a standard Toslink/optical.

·
Registered
46 Posts
If it's the original XBox, just get the XBox Advanced AV pack (S-Video & Toslink) or the HDTV pack (Composite & toslink). If it's the 360, just get a cheap toslink cable from Target and plug it into the base of the connecter. Buying Monster is like buying Bose, you're paying more for the name brand than for quality.

·
Registered
591 Posts
in the 360 setup you need to configure the optical and all that

if the fiber doesnt stay in strip the "housing" off it and just plug in the bare jack - I had problems with the housing being too big (off the cable that is)

·
Registered
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iKnowKungFoo
If it's the original XBox, just get the XBox Advanced AV pack (S-Video & Toslink) or the HDTV pack (Composite & toslink). If it's the 360, just get a cheap toslink cable from Target and plug it into the base of the connecter. Buying Monster is like buying Bose, you're paying more for the name brand than for quality.
Yeah. I just assumed 360. So, what KungFoo said is what I guess I meant.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I have read this weekend that though the monster uses a toslink adapter, it is shorter than the standard one. It seems he can't use a standard toslink found everywhere. I agree, take the monster cables back and email them your dis-satisfaction if you don't want to use their optical cable (the 360 one also does this) which is the only way to get the adapter, or maybe get lucky and find it used.

Sorry, dtorz21.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for all the replies...

i just received a call from monster saying that the adapter is proprietary and no third party connector will work. he also said that the only way to get the adapter was to purchase the monster lightwave optical cable for xbox which is about 35 bucks.... then in a surprise move he said they have some extra adapters laying around and he would be happy to mail me one for free.... guess i should take back the bad things ive said about their company, it certainly seems they have done the right thing in this case

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.