AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
The PS2 on any projector is going to suck... way too many deinterlacing artifacts from the 480i signal. Don't bother with those "VGA boxes" for $50 (redant) they are nasty also.

·
Registered
370 Posts
PS2 on the Sanyo Z1 is great, especially in 16:9. It is not perfect, but it is much more immersive than a 32" TV!!

·
Registered
599 Posts
I'd imagine if you use a HTPC you can get better PS2 quality by running it through D-scaler. Of course, the Gamecube and Xbox already have progressive output available so running them directly into the projector is probably more viable.

Ricky, do you play all the PS2 games in 16:9 because I only have two that support 16:9 (SSX, and Jak & Dakster).

·
Registered
69 Posts
PS2 looks terrible without progressive scan on any PJ!

Way too many jaggies, and it distracts from the gameplay. Way too much "shimmering" going on.

Xbox is really the way to go if you want really good quality. I think to a kid, it won't matter, because they're just happy to play on a big screen, that's why they won't mind the shimmering of a PS2 or most of the Gamecube stuff, although GC is better then the PS2 as far as the amount of titles that have PS.

Xbox on the other hand, has just about everygame in PS, and most of the really new stuff is going to be 720P, so it you like HDTV resolutions, then Xbox is the way to go.

You can get a lot of the same games on all 3 systems now, at least as far as 3rd party stuff, the difference is that Xbox usally gets the advantage of progressive scan being implemented.

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
xbox looks sweet. ps2 is ok I guess. not that good but not horrible.

I played 50+ hours of gta: vice city on my AE100 (106" diagonal) and was fine with it. sure, it wasn't the best looking game but I got into the game to be able to ignore the PS2's graphical problems.

Now as for xbox games, NBA2k3 in 720p,= yummy....and that's even with it being downconverted to 480p!

I love the xbox. Such a sweet system

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Where the PS2 sucks the worst is on fast paced driving games.... jaggies ahoy!

I bought a gamecube with 480P output and was very disappointed by the look of it with SuperMario.

I'm very disappointed with the abilities of the GC & PS2 on the projector. They don't hold a candle to the defunct Dreamcast with it's killer VGA output.... it was ahead of it's time and remains so even in it's demise.

I was going to get an iScan to handle the deinterlacing, but instead decided to go with the HTPC+Dscaler route for ultimate flexibility.

Xbox is probably the best console out there for bigscreen, but I'm against MSFT dominating the world, so I've held off! :D

·
Registered
761 Posts
One of the neighbour kids brought over his PS2 on Satuday and we gave it a try on the HS10 for a couple hours and even using composite we didn't see much for jaggies,... does the HS10 intervene and process this signal???... if so it does a pretty fair job (of course I am NOT a big gamer to know much of the difference...) I can tell you that Mac computer games look absolutely fantastic (to me anyway) going through the DVI port.... couldn't tell you what we were playing but there certainly was a LOT of blood :D

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Blitzkreig----

Did you try driving games like GT3... most noticable there.

·
Registered
599 Posts
JP, how do the GC and PS2 look through D-scaler, or is that where you were referencing jaggies. I'd think D-scaler would take care of those.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I am playing Burnout 2 in 16:9 along with some other titles. For the rest, I use the 4:3 mode.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I had a PS2 w/component out on my AE100 and the games looked alright for 480i (Gran Tourismo 3, GTA3, MGS2, etc...) Then, I rented a xbox with a component adapter and tried some 480p and 720p games. I fell on the floor... and exchanged my PS2 for a xbox...

xbox is the way to go for projector gaming. I believe there are a hand full of 480p games on the PS2 when all xbox games or 480p or higher (well, almost.).

Later.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by teiresias
JP, how do the GC and PS2 look through D-scaler, or is that where you were referencing jaggies. I'd think D-scaler would take care of those.
My comments on jaggies were using the component cables (480i PS2/480p GC)... I have yet to buy an HTPC. Dscaler should get rid of any artifacts.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Lastort
XBox? PS2?

Huh? Why is this thread here? What does it have to do with projectors?
Because we're all using a PS2/GC/XBox WITH a projector. Keep up... there's going to be a quiz later.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.